Objectification of Women in Modern Media

Well, now it does.

No worries man, I had the same thing, and getting skeeved out like that was not pleasant, happy to help you avoid the same fate. Or at least, with others, if they still want to check it out, at least are going in forewarned so that they donā€™t get blindsided with it.

I dunno, Iā€™ve got pretty well-honed fuck-that-shit sense, and it still blindsided me 100%, since Iā€™d not looked up anything about it other than hearing positive reviews about the anime.

1 Like

I know I might regret this butā€¦ ā€˜Bunny Dropā€™?

Iā€™m not going to google it, but Iā€™d love a one sentence TLDR.

Bunny drop, Made in Abyss = Fantasy child abuse

Basically, story that starts out sweet and wholesome about a dude raising a little girl like his daughter, then somewhere around 3/4s of the way through, thereā€™s a time skip, and suddenly sheā€™s in high school, and it becomes a case of ā€œWell, weā€™re not related by blood, letā€™s go!ā€, and uncomfortably recontextualizes the entire (honestly very well written and enjoyable) first half from wholesome slice of life of a guy and his Adopted daughter, into weird and creepy grooming.

A lot of people just kinda pretend the whole thing ended right before the time skip, and want nothing to do with the latter half.

1 Like

I think that is just another case and point. Anime is infested by pervy bullshit. If youā€™re already desensitised to anime culture youā€™re effectively oblivious to what otherwise is very obvious.

1 Like

In the anime thereā€™s a wholesome relationship with an uncle adopting a child in the family who lost all her guardians. In the manga it develops into a romantic relationship. Itā€™s way bad.

Ah. I remember that being discussed on the podcast. I didnā€™t keep the name Bunny Drop with that story.

Itā€™s so true. Like I want to tell Luke to go watch something like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The greatest sci-fi cyberpunk TV anime there is. But The Major has major tits and ass hanging out because of course she does.

1 Like

All cyberpunk has tits and ass hanging out. Itā€™s all right there in Bladerunner. Itā€™s part of the aesthetic. I rewatch Ghost in the Shell (the movie) every few years. Itā€™s great! Nudity and all. Iā€™ve never found myself wanting more of it though. I have a DVD of the second movie sitting under my TV, but Iā€™ve never gotten around to watching it due to the subtitles only being in German.

Being only casually into Anime but having watched the GITS SAC growing up and I knew that my wife would enjoy the cyberpunk themes, but I also knew that I would need to make a sell because of how Mokotoā€™s outfit and design. My wife did enjoy both seasons and likes Mokoto as a character, but the fact remains I needed to explain to someone with no anime exposure why one of the highest regarded representations of the medium was worth overcoming that.

The second movie isā€¦ out there. Iā€™m curious what you would think if you did watch it, but itā€™sā€¦ a thing.

The TV show is arguably even better than the first movie in some ways. Itā€™s very police procedural. One of the greatest. If youā€™re willing, give it a shot.

Anime is notorious for taking scenarios that IRL at face value would be highly suspect, but writing in contrivances to paint an innocent picture. Yet all the while the subtext is normalise perverted bs.

Ghost in the Shell, anime/ movie is no exception. As good as they are.

Suspending disbelief is a required.

Ugh.

Whatever your positions are on pervy anime/manga, it is NOT OK to express it as anti-Japanese (or ā€œlol japanā€ ā€“ itā€™s an entire country of people) sentiment.

Thatā€™s racist, at best xenophobic.

5 Likes

If what I wrote was racist/ xenophobic I am sorry. Iā€™ll do better to write with care.

I am in no way anti-Japan nor anti-anime for that matter.

1 Like

I have a comic book character as an avatar and I donā€™t likeā€¦ make much of that. I think Prince Robot IV was an interesting character, I havenā€™t kept up with the comic in a year or more, and I can tacitly also relate to being a bit robot logicy and non-human in a ā€œha-haā€ way. I just as much relate to horror themed things, eldritch abominations, D&D stuff, etc.

I am reminded that my most famous character is not one I named out of some hard thought out precise title, but rather one where I couldnā€™t come up with a name and mis-remembered a similar sounding name when trying to think of something to useā€¦

Perhaps coming at the world from a role-players background, especially as a GM, I donā€™t think a whole lot of significance about what Iā€™ll be called/represented by today.

1 Like

Yes, I am sorry I wrote ā€œgod damnit Japanā€. It was a poor choice of unsubtle language. But the intended meaning was ā€œOf course, this is a common trope that appears in many anime and manga. I have seen this trope many times. In hindsight it was obvious. Why did I not see it before?ā€

I tried moving this flamewar from yesterday to its own thread. If any posts need to move back to the video game thread, let me know.

2 Likes

Edited the title to be women, the world ā€œfemalesā€ as a noun referring to women feels weirdly insensitive.

6 Likes

Apologises, that was my fault not @Apreche as I gave the name to him for the title. Women is definitely a better phrase.

6 Likes