Games You are Currently Playing

Picked up Chronicon on the black friday sale, it’s been really fun. It’s an indie arpg that hits all the right buttons and excels where it needs to. Graphics are sub-par and enemy variety is below average, but it absolutely nails the feeling of stomping around a map busting hundreds of mooks while loot explodes out of them. Subworld has squared the circle of creating a game with tons of depth that can be quickly picked up to start busting heads. I wish the AAA arpgs focused on speed and gamefeel the way this one does. It’s not perfect, but I’ve played way, way worse arpgs for $12

Playing Hades. Got to what could be the final boss on the last run, but then died. I’m sure I’ll beat it soon-ish. We’ll see how much I keep playing. Pretty sure it’s a play forever sort of thing, as it’s a roguelike and there are many many things I have not unlocked.

Without spoiling it, Hades does have credits at a specific point in the game, at which point it essentially becomes an endless game with self imposed “Challenges” to make the game harder.

I stopped after the credits, but loved every second of it. Fantastic game.

I didn’t stop at the credits, but taking a look at the achievements there’s apparently an ‘epilogue’ which comes after you’ve done enough post credits, we’ll see if I make it to that.

Just got absolutely consumed by Demoncrawl. It’s Minesweeper: the rougelike. The base game is exactly the same, but now you have HP, money, armor, and items. Adding campaign mechanics and random items works surprisingly well for a game that was already procedurally generated. Like classic roguelikes, it is ruthless. There are absurd effects like “the open squares have items that you can take, but deal damage to you” or “clear an entire row of the board, if you kill a monster (mine) refund 50% of this item’s charge” and you need to abuse your items to get a leg up on a system that isn’t quite one hit kill (like normal minesweeper) but damn close.

3 Likes

That is an incredible looking game.

Jet Lancer is a blast so far, very similar feeling gameplay wise to Luftrausers from a while back though with a lot more color and anime vibes and a lot less Nazis. Well worth the current steam sale price

Playing these games right now:

• Super Smash Bros. Melee (on Slippi, FUGU#174 if anyone wants to play, this is my favorite game)
  • Hades (I saw a couple people in this thread are playing it, I got it about a week ago and made it out of the house three times so far)
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (this game is still amazing)
  • Chess (so I don’t become dumb)
  • Slay The Spire (on Ascension Level 14 with The Silent right now, trying to make it to Level 20)
  • Heroes of Might & Magic III (I’m just playing the campaigns right now)
  • Teamfight Tactics (this game is a bad game but for some reason I enjoy it too much, I’m hardstuck Diamond rn)

Anyone share any of the same game journeys as me currently?

I’m trying to game, again. “Doomscrolling” is killing me, and if I refuse to be productive, I might as well have some fun.

Fallout: New Vegas is the first of the “Modern” Fallout Games I’ve played. It’s very enjoyable, so far. I have only achieved the default “Well done, you didn’t quit during character creation” achievement.

Brigador is still terrific. It’s like the old Strike games, but even crazier.

Final Fantasy VI as a Steam port is passable. I’m told people don’t like the ports, but I enjoy it well enough. I’m still in the early part of the game, grinding using Edgar’s crazy weapons.

1 Like

Trying to get through a backlog on my PS4. Played through the first two Arkham games. Man those haven’t aged well. Starting the third one tonight, so we’ll see how long it lasts.

Played through a digital PS game (maybe it’s on other things?) called Erica that was pretty fantastic. It’s an FMV-style interactive game, which I realized that I guess I had nostalgia for? Super short, but pretty replayable, I think. Definitely recommend this if you ever get a hankering for those types of games.

It’s funny, as I get older, I want long games less and less. Like, I will play an 80+ hour isometric RPG, but I might not finish it. I will definitely finish an 8-10 hour game. I wish that more games were made that catered to that market, because I can’t possibly be the only adult in the world that has less and less time to videogame in their life!

1 Like

I got bit by the Genshin Impact bug. Do I recommend it? Uh… maybe? I’m having a lot of fun, and as gacha games go it’s reasonably generous. I spent $10 a couple of weeks ago mostly because I felt like supporting the creators; I haven’t spent any other money, which makes it cheaper than most other games I’ve played this year. It doesn’t have a real “party” system, though – that’s kind of counter to the gacha system. Since they can never know which character(s) a player will have access to, they have to treat them all the same (ie they all have different abilities, but NPCs talk as if it’s the central protagonist even if you’re playing as someone else). It’s frustrating. I can’t wait to play more. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve also played a looooooooot of Slay the Spire recently. I’ve still never beaten the last boss. Some day.

2 Likes

I grabbed an early access of a game called Solasta: Crown of the Magister, which is a cRPG that is sticking very closely to D&D 5e tabletop rules. I’ve always been fond of video games that try to replicate tabletop D&D mechanics, and this is definitely doing that. It’s still pretty rough, but the team is tiny (13 people) so I’m not expecting greatness. Still, quite promising.

So when I finished the EA content that’s out right now, I went and grabbed Hades and uhhhhhhhhhhh anyway I haven’t gotten anything else done since I started playing it. Damn does that game live up to the hype.

6 Likes

A friend of mine got me a copy of Hades as a present and I started playing it last week. I’ve become totally engrossed. Rogue-likes/lites aren’t even my genre, but Hades is just so good that I keep playing it over and over again because Cerberus needs pets.

6 Likes

Cerberus is best boyo.

This may honestly be the pinnacle of rogue-likes as far as I’m concerned - it strikes a beautiful balance between control and chance, and it’s difficult without being bullshit.

7 Likes

Dionysus is second best.

5 Likes

Odd way to spell Artemis.

1 Like

No, I know how to spell. So does BTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moUJ3Lw_TQ

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/8ZcqaolcjUI

2 Likes

I have also been playing Hades on and of for the last couple of months. Took me 50 tries to finally beat the last boss, but today on like attempt 75 or so I managed to reach the ending credits.

I must say, this is without a doubt one of the single best games I have ever played, and as difficult as it was to do so, it superseeded The Binding of Isaac as my favorite roguelike of all time (and I am quite a big fan of the genre). Of course it is more of a rogue-lite as it very much is dependent on continuous progress that allows you to unlock weapons, abilities and items, as well as upgrade them with currencies that you pick up, so perhaps purists would see them as distinct, but the game is not simply grinding for this but also very much depends on you improving your skill at it and lets you feel this improvement as well.

Like thewhaleshark remarked above, this game is a perfect balance of chance and skill, and the difficulty curve is just exquisitly crafted allowing for one of the best gamefeels and is what allows for the feeling of progress I just mentioned. The fact that it also placed the inherent conceit of a rogue-like (repeated short-term attempts) as the foundational piece of the story itself is also just a brilliant move.

And what an amazing story it is. Every character is written beautifully and while I haven’t completed every side-task yet, I have seen the attention to detail they have put into it and the fantastic job they have done in working in the finer parts of greek mythology is also wonderful. And no praise would be too much for the just astonishing performances by the voice cast that gives these characters life.

This is a perfect game.

4 Likes

Hades is easily in my favorite 64 video games (I actually made a list of my top 64). I had so much fun. I was looking for something new and exciting to play and this came at the perfect time.

I’m going back to Slay The Spire for now because I still need to beat Ascension 20 as The Silent (I’m on 15 right now). In 34 Hades attempts, I escaped 11 times. I usually pick whatever the dark thirst weapon is, get Athena boons and hammers, and then use the Chaos Gate like crazy, and it works out most of the time.

2 Likes