Show Ideas and Reminders

That’s a YouTube shoutyman if I ever seen one.

This is not a compliment, right?

I’m pretty sure he’s not that. He runs Technology Connections, aka deep dives on (usually) old (usually) analog tech stuff.

His videos have been a thing of the day before:

1 Like

Nah, he’s all right.

I don’t trust those eyes.

I’ve watched a ton of his videos. He’s very unshouty, and gets into a decent level of technical detail on how things work.

Every indication is he’s a fine gentleman. He also doesn’t ever shout.

But you do trust these?

Not completely. Gotta keep Ryan at arm’s length.

1 Like

I can’t remember any guests that weren’t Luke or Emily.

I think Judith was the most recent “guest”, though Emily may have guest-hosted since then.

We had a lot of guests in the early days.

Should I pull all our guest shows (sans news and totd) into Patron and Youtube like I’m doing for Anime Reviews and Board Game Reviews? Just the main bits?

Thursday show idea:

• Things you would get into if you weren’t old
2 Likes

Or not old enough.

That’s two Thursday shows. A third one could be:

• Things we got into and then dropped
2 Likes

Inspired a bit by your offhand comment on how people were afraid there would be rampant speculation on forever stamps, you guys should do a show about speculation. I might be talking completely out my ass but it feels like such an American trash behavior of buying product exclusively to horde it in the hopes it will accrue value over time.

Speculators hoard, wait, and gamble. They are materialist consumers who have a dream of consuming and getting rich BY consuming, so that they will be rewarded with further consumption. Though, it is possible to go about it in a way that works. e.g: LEGO investment.

As per my thing of the day, what is much better then speculation is flipping. Instead of hoping to own a thing that becomes insanely valuable with age, instead get junk that you can add value to with your labor. Unlike speculators who consume, flippers do work. They won’t magically get insanely rich, but a good one can make a great living.

Maybe they’re just slow arbitrageurs.

I think this article fails to account for the same thing I see every speculator consider; scale and timeframe. Their example of the Millenium Falcon jumping from $500 to $4000 took 9 years. Even with a high chance of positive return (say 75%+) that’s still a terrible investment compared to just trading stock. To horde enough product to “make money” off the investment (for example, as the article suggests planning for your retirement) you would need a literal warehouse to just sit on and hope you suffer minimal loss through degredation or accidents.

Yes. You need to buy a lot of LEGO, not open it, and store it, and wait a long time. Because those sets will disappear from shelves, you’ll be able to get a return. If LEGO decides to produce the set agian, you lose money on that one, so you have to get basically every LEGO set, probably at least 2 of each.

Oh also forget, nobody ever considers the actual effort that needs to be made to resell your product. For many speculation targets (especially toys) if you’re bringing a 5+ year old product back to market, often your only customers are other collectors.

It just strikes me as such a weird behavior. It clearly doesn’t make money, otherwise people would actually be doing it at a business scale. It seems like both a post hoc justification for collecting something you enjoy and tantalizing opportunity because of the low buy in/make money for doing “nothing” angle. It never sits well with me, when people did that with food or water they end up getting hanged.

1 Like