Objectification of Women in Modern Media

As per my last comment. I don’t think you can magically wash away the objectification of a chainmail bikini by putting some good writing next to it.

While you are correct, this proves my point exactly. A non-manga non-anime person like Luke sees this shit and is just like “you pervs trying to make excuses for your problematic shit.” They’re not playing this game to find out that the character is actually empowering or whatever. They see a tit window on a dress on the cover of the game and they NOPE the fuck out of there.

If you need to go waist deep in knowledge to see how “no, it’s actually NOT problematic this time” then it’s problematic.

1 Like

Alright, how about the scenes where Anthy is naked in Utena?

Right. Nice anime avatar you have there. I’m sure you’re just the person I need to talk to when I need Lolita imagery explained away to me.

3 Likes

Friend I’m giving you context here I’m not explaining away something, like I said it wasn’t even what we were talking about. The character in question has the appearance and intellect of a grown adult woman (she’s a robot) and obviously so.

How about the scenes with naked children in Studio Ghibli movies?

There’s nothing in common between a situation in a story where a character happens to be naked and character who has an inherently objectifying design.

1 Like

There was a LOT of objectifying promotional art for Utena. Lots of naked characters without explanation. Most of it didn’t come over the US, but there’s no shortage of it in the booklets with the Right Stuf release of Utena. Without having played a minute of it, you have no way of knowing it’s not that.

I’d be taking your complaints seriously if you were a woman, but the fact of the matter is you’re being a champion for a cause that’s very 1980s.

3 Likes

Optics are a completely different issue than actual text/context of a piece of media.

What a shitty attitude, should I disregard everything you post because your avatar makes you look like a serial killer?

1 Like

Right. But I’m talking about this in the context of a forum where there’s a whole bunch of what I consider problematic anime and manga imagery.

It’s not up to me to google image search this particular example that someone else was weirded out by.

That’s exactly the situation I’m talking about. Why should I put myself in the position where I’m not sure if the thing that I google image search is going to weird out either myself or someone who is looking over my shoulder?

1 Like

I don’t know why you should but you sure did.

My attitude isn’t shitty. I’m actually judging people who make me have to filter this stuff. That’s what this conversation is about.

1 Like

Since it’s so '80s, then I should fill my apartment with this kind of imagery? I should put it all over this site? It’s going to make women feel empowered and welcome if I do that? Dang, I knew I was doing something wrong.

1 Like

Its still very subculture but in the fashion world its still very much a thing, I saw women out and about in it not only in fashion / subculture districts but also other public places too.

Context is everything Scott. This is a playable character. The dynamic is totally different from just posting art.

Stop caring? Helped me a lot when I realized most folks are like you and just assume and judge and to just not give a shit.

2 Likes

That’s why a naked scene during a show is ok because nobody is going to ever see that without also having seen the context.

Since that character design is on the cover of the game, anyone it makes uncomfortable isn’t going to get that context unless they play it, which they won’t.

1 Like

I already addressed the problematic promotional art in Utena. Don’t try to dodge that bullet.

Then don’t fucking play it if it makes you uncomfortable, but don’t judge people for liking something you know next to nothing about.

Anyway I gotta stop here cause I’m craving a cigarette something awful and I need to take my mind off it,

1 Like

Hey, I’m just joining in the popcorn discussion.

It’s fine if you don’t care that you’re being judged. But I am judging you. I don’t care that I’m judging you either, but it’s not going to stop. I don’t feel comfortable with imagery where there have to be disclaimers about how this “isn’t technically sexist” or “well actually not underage” or “me looking at Lolita imagery is fine”. I’m not going to google it to see how close any particular example gets to any particular line. That’s your position, and I judge you for it.

1 Like

I’m judging character designs with tit windows and absurdly short skirts on the cover of Japanese video games. This doesn’t seem like a hard one.

Just so I can be clear, loli is gross. This is gothic lolita fashion which is a different thing:

images(8)

Also you’re a judgemental willfully ignorant twit.

2 Likes