Objectification of Women in Modern Media

FWIW the particular character in question has the body of an adult woman, she just wears… highly stylized clothing influenced Victorian-era English fashion.

I tried already and got snark and an “idgaf or care to find out” don’t bother.

You’re missing the point. He doesn’t care. Yes, it’s true. Lolita fasion has nothing to do with actual pedophiles like from the novel Lolita. That has nothing do with this character design being problematic.

Scott, does sexy = problematic to you? You live in NYC, you see all kinds of shit all the time. If you saw someone on the street wearing that with no other context what would you think?

Right.

I keep saying I’m judgmental. I keep saying I’m keeping myself willfully ignorant.

You’re saying these things as if they are an insult. They are not an insult. They are what I’ve decided to do.

This doesn’t make me a twit. This comes from 25 years of existing on the internet. Judging people with anime avatars means I don’t expose myself to stuff that weirds me out. Not googling stuff that’s mentioned and following links means I don’t need to worry about looking at stuff that weirds me out.

2 Likes

I’d think they were a model doing a photo shoot, or a cosplayer, or they were filming a movie. And I would also think that whatever movie they were in, or thing they were photo shooting for, or thing they were cosplaying as, is gross and I got nothing to do with it.

1 Like

Nice erasure of personal agency

2 Likes

They are insults, please take them as such. Lack of curiosity and not informing yourself about even the basic concepts and then turning around and making assumptions and judgements represents the worst of anti-intellectualism. It describes a Trump voter or brexit supporter.

Someone who is mad about people saying video game characters with tit windows are problematic are gomergate adjacent, and are trump and brexit supporters. So…

1 Like

I don’t know why but I feel the urge to apologize. We’re pretty far away from how this whole thing started and I feel like I’ve started something way bigger than the scope of what I was trying to say.

Sorry about that.

Puritanical attitudes toward body/sexual expression and representation is also a mark of conservative thinking :wink:

2 Likes

I’m just gonna say I walked away and game back to this thread and when I hit Scott’s image of the 2B statue I scrolled past as fast as I physically could spin the mouse wheel because I’m at work and not trying to talk to HR about making a hostile work environment.

2 Likes

I’m looking on my personal device but if someone tried to say that image was hostile they’d have to call an ambulance when I hit my head from being so utterly floored. What kind of prudes do you people work for?

Have you ever worked in an office? If anyone saw that image on my screen, they could absolutely file a complaint with HR, and I would absolutely have to answer for it. We have anti-harrassment meetings every year explaining this.

1 Like

I work in an office NOW. A law office. I have co-workers with tattoos far more salacious than that statue and they don’t cover them. I’ve had 2B as a phone background and I leave the screen on all the time. No one has ever said anything.

If nobody complains, nobody complains and nothing happens.

The point is, they could. And if they did, HR and the law would be on their side. Since you work in a law office look up the laws in NY related to sexual harassment and “hostile work environment.”

1 Like

Again… 25 years on the internet. This isn’t my first rodeo.

Remember, this is the forum where I expressed how weirded out I was by the anime term “underage” and people were surprised to hear that, and hadn’t ever considered that what they were actually saying was “if this person was real and I had even consensual sex with them, could I be prosecuted for statutory rape?”

The term you are looking for is “girl” or “child”, and as soon as there needs to be “context explained” or me “doing research” for me to work out what kind of imagery I’m looking at? Big fat nope. I’ve been burned many times in the past.

Again, it’s okay if you don’t care about being judged. You certainly seem to be taking it hard though.

I’m all about judging. It keeps me away from the problematic side of the internet.

2 Likes

I don’t think understanding the difference between a gross sexual proclivity and a fashion term needs any great mental effort but whatever. Also I’m not upset you’re judging me I’m upset you’re so intellectually lazy for which I judge you. I judge @apreche the same way pretty much every time he opens his mouth so I’m not surprised you two get along so well.

Actually, I judge Luke for thinking the entire mediums of anime and manga are problematic because some of it is. He goes too far.

"It’s both possible, and even necessary, to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of its more problematic or pernicious aspects.”

― Anita Sarkeesian

2 Likes