What TV Shows Are You Watching?

I agree on most of that, but I didn’t find the main Trio contemptible, but rather, something far worse - I found them utterly boring. I just couldn’t conceive of any reason to give a shit about whatever whacky adventure they were about to fuck up into, or how they managed to luck their way out of it. There were occasions where I’d look away seemingly for a moment, and get confused at the end of an episode because the conclusion didn’t seem to connect to the beginning - because they were different episodes, they were just so bland and indistinguishable from each other that I didn’t notice it had moved from episode to episode, and honestly, I can’t say the show really suffered for the experience.

3 Likes

I switched off this show about three minutes into the first episode. It’s okay to bail super fast on these shows, as you’ll always find something new not to watch in the background.

1 Like

The second season of OA is so good. The first season was more ambiguous in the truth of the narrative. This one blossoms into a more surrealist sci-fi, ala Murakami – with all the essential components: a missing person, mysterious guides, the distortion/questioning/exploitation of magic-sterile/magic-imbued reality, playing with the idea of the multiverse.

(it stars Jason Isaacs, who is So Skilled at being Hate-able.)

(that said, if you’re the kind of person who critiques Donnie Darko for pretending to be deep, you probably won’t like the OA.)

3 Likes

Oh man, I was wondering if they’d make a season 2 of it!! I am excite now!

I’m out of Derry Girls and now I don’t know what to do with my life.

2 Likes

I was so sad when that turned out to be only six episodes.

I went in with no foreknowledge of what it was and therefore no expectations.

It was good.

1 Like

There is a second season, tho.

Wait, what? Since when?

Ok there is but it’s not on netflix.

Oh, I just watched the whole thing and assumed that included S2. It didn’t feel like 6 episodes to me.

In 15 minutes, Suits from Love Death Robots was a better Pacific Rim than Pacific Rim.

3 Likes

I guess I was the wrong crowd for Suits,because I didn’t really like that short; I felt that it was one of the weaker entries in the series. It kind of felt like Giant Robots as envisioned through the lens of Armageddon. Not full michael bay, but very much a “What if Giant Robots, but Farmers”. Could be I just wasn’t a big fan of the aesthetic, though.

1 Like

Rewatching Daria. “My history teacher hates me because I know all the answers, but there are some interesting idiots in my class” is something she actually says and I’ve never been so personally attacked.

5 Likes

Game of Thrones! Game of f&*&^% thrones. I have waited 2 years for this show and its finally here. Did you enjoy all the episodes? I personally felt episode 2 was beautiful. The anticipation of the war, the reunions of the characters, all the build up towards the battle is amazing.

Btw, just curious… how are you all watching GOT? I find it pretty hard to watch it on HBO Go since it has rights issues in most of the Europe. UK has sluggish rights issues too. I tried Watch game of thrones in UK and I even got the vpn for it but its killing the experience for me. Stream does not always go 1080 I guess the vpn I selected is a choker!

I watched the first season of Game of Thrones, and then decide to hold off on watching more until the entire show was finished. And then I’ll ask “is it worth going all the way to the end?” If enough people say yes, I’ll do it. If not, I’m just glad I got a taste of a show that was good before it went off the rails.

In this way I enjoyed the first season of Lost, and then didn’t continue because hardly anyone said it was worth watching all the way through. Many people even resented how much time they’d put into it without the good payoff.

In this way I enjoyed the entirety of Breaking Bad, as EVERYONE who had finished it said it was worth putting in the time.

So, get back to me once this season of Game of Thrones has ended.

2 Likes

We finished up Umbrella Academy the other day, and while I enjoyed it a good deal, I also feel like the main conflict that evolved could have been entirely avoided if the men in the show weren’t fucking terrible. Like, maybe just listen to the women and give their ideas credence?

I wonder if that’s the point and they’re going somewhere with that in season 2. I mean it was neat regardless, but still.

We’re currently chewing through the rest of Designated Survivor, which is possibly the most intensely mediocre show I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s the only political show I can stomach right now, though, because it’s the only one that’s more ridiculous than what’s happening in the real world.

3 Likes

God I wanted Designated survivor to be good.

3 Likes

We’re catching up on the most recent seasons of Archer. Now that he’s in a coma, they’re just doing a genre piece every season with disposable plot. It’s delightful.

And somehow Venture Brothers had another season we didn’t notice! Going to watch that ASAP.

GOT I loved the first season. Somewhere between the middle of season two and the start of three I sort of lost steam and stopped watching. It’s in the deep backlog now.

1 Like

Honestly, watching a critically acclaimed show is after it’s been long buried is one of the most invigorating finds. I watched all of The Shield right around the rise of the unlikable protagonist dramas with Mad Men & Breaking Bad. It’s one of the greatest brutal dramas ever aired with a phenomenal ensemble cast that gets everything about corruption in the police department right. Has a stellar ending as well.

1 Like

Finally sat down and watched some Brooklyn 99, good background telly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Golden Age of Modern Television owes so much to shows like the Shield. Michael Chiklis and Walton Goggins are both amazing in it. The ending is just perfect!