What TV Shows Are You Watching?

The only thing good about GOT was Sean Bean, the rest is just like watching Attack on Titan. There’s no point watching if you’re neither invested in the characters nor the lore by the end of the first season.

Game of Thrones is popular with people I wouldn’t expect to have been pulled into a fantasy series, so there’s that. Though that same person seems to be very disappointed so-far with the final season while I’m enjoying it just fine.

I’m still really proud of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW9L9Mp4Ia0

I made it back when Premiere was kind of garbage software. The render kept crashing, and I had to edit around frame skips due to CODEC issues. I also wasn’t good at editing yet.

Will certainly do. So far the experience is good. Its worth all the time.

I wanted to post this in the CN thread, but I reached my limit.

Now that I’m essentially up to date with B99 I’ve decided to relive my childhood and rewatch Buffy. Show’s definitely dated, but it’s still charming as ever.

1 Like

The HBO Chernobyl miniseries has started. Watched the first episode last night, and I’m loving it. It’s very, very intense.

I hope it keeps this momentum going forward. I imagine at some point it will turn from the uncertainty of what happened mixed with an abundance of highly lethal doses of radiotactive fallout towards more of the political fallout. But in any case I look forward to the whole ride.

Here is a genuine Chernobyl cat

https://youtu.be/BhYEkRjUWM8?t=547

I’ve watched a ton about Chernobyl and other nuclear accidents. It might have been one of my first, and most enduring, fascinations as a child, since reading a book about meltdowns in the very early 90s in like 3rd grade or so.

I wish there was more out there that went into serious depth. But the idea of radiation and fission and how the physics of it all works is so fascinating. Always appreciate a good story that factors all that in.

I have been fascinated with it ever since I played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and found out a lot of the environment are relatively accurate recreations of actual locations and structures in the Exclusion Zone. The game is of course designed to be creepy and desolate, but after looking a lots of pictures and film of the real life Zone the game is not far off in atmosphere from real life. I really want to go to the Exclusion Zone and Pripyat as an adventure tourism trip.

1 Like

So what did people make of that finale?

I was really enjoying it up until the big negotiation. I wanted to see the characters all display their growth and skills having been through all their ordeals but none of it seemed to matter.

I don’t know if the people expressing their dissatisfaction earlier are just smarter than me for seeing it coming sooner!

Lots of cool visuals involving dragons, but storytelling wise everything after the melted throne is just hand-wavy nonsense. The writers seem to have just been completely done caring, “Peter Dinklage, wrap this up for us.”

In my opinion, you could spend an entire season on that last episode to actually have proper tension, proper storytelling, set up all these nobles, make the Dothraki/Unsullied make any sense at all. I think when you factor in all the other plot threads from the books, I think it bodes well for the last two if they ever come out. There is an interesting story there, but I think the television series didn’t stick the landing and was probably too big of an undertaking with too large of a scope. Many plots they dropped actually seem to be important in retrospect.

1 Like

Yeah the last season should have been a full length season except for the last episode which should have been at least a half-season.

Nah. It should have been like 4 seasons, but was expanded out to 8.

But the last 2 were weirdly over-compressed? It had the feel of TV shows that are, “oh shit we’re canceled in 2 weeks, guess we’ll try and wrap up everything RIGHT NOW”, except they knew the end was coming a few years out.

I think some judicious cutting of storylines would have gone a long way.

I kinda wish they would have limited themselves to like 3 books, then waited ten years to do 3 more.

2 Likes

I read plot synopses of season 8 since I’m pretty far behind, and honestly, I can’t think of any fantasy series that epic in scope that wraps up neatly. When you have so much going on, there’s no way to really tie up the million threads in a logical, consistent way. There are a small handful of authors who can do it and loads who try.

I’m pretty sure GRRM’s endings wouldn’t be satisfying either.

Also, some people I know are bitching about Dany’s arc (like, sudden and unrealistic character change), and I’m over here like “I’m pretty sure they set this all up way back in the beginning.” It’s pretty much a trope.

One day I’ll watch seasons 7 and 8, because it’ll be some shiny TV shit and that’s ultimately what I’m after here.

That’s a bingo. The books had this Cambrian explosion of storylines that didn’t matter. Coupled with a few books/seasons worth of puttering around accomplishing nothing. That all should have been cut out.

Sudden unrealistic character changes - it wasn’t just Dany. All the smart people turned dumb. I think the writing took a steep nosedive.

The spectacle of 7 and 8 was really something. The Battle of Winterfell in particular was essentially an hour and a half action horror movie, with barely a line spoken for the last 30 minutes. And it was super fun.

A lot of people… pick and choose which complaints to validate or invalidate. Yeah, someone is out there saying something extreme like “There was no setup for this at all!”, but people that choose to attack only that argument are ALSO doing a dishonest job. Not saying that’s the case for you in particular, but I do see a lot of that online.

If you had to plot the pace of the story progression it accelerated and kept accelerating till the last half of the last episode supposedly months or possibly even years had transpired in a flash.

This is true. I noticed it in season 6 as they just sort of…condensed a whole bunch of shit. “Welp, this is a mess, let’s blow up whole swaths of people and consolidate this into a couple of factions.”

It struck me as editing with a machete on the part of HBO, and I can totally believe that they kept it up to get this sucker wrapped up on time.

Wheel of Time.

I’m not saying you should read it. I’m just saying it wraps everything that matters up neatly after ~14 books.

2 Likes