What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Russian Doll on Netflix is excellent, and y’all should watch it.

5 Likes

I’m old… lol… and it was actually a 1970s series:

It was actually quite good, especially for the time. On the minus side, it was crappy 1970s-era Filmation animation. On the plus side, they had some excellent scripts (most of the writers were the same as for the live action original series), had most of the original cast reprise their roles as the voices on the show (and James Doohan pretty much became the default, “hey, can you voice this random alien” guy in addition to playing Scotty), and even though the animation itself was pretty crappy, it did allow for a lot of stuff that would be impossible using the budget and special effects technology available to the live action series at the time.

It’s also on Netflix, last I checked, if you want to check it out and have Netflix.

1 Like

Just came on to say that. Wonderful miniseries.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/LzhzULFgrjU
It’s being adapted by Lauren Faust, so may be worth a shot.

2 Likes

The world building and character designs in the Dragon Prince season 2 are outstanding! This show is so good! Can’t wait for season 3!

1 Like

I watched Umbrella Academy almost immediately after binging Russian Doll. The comparison did it no favors. Russian Doll SO GOOD.

5 Likes

Hype mode activated!

“By placing the series in the Second Age, Amazon has tacitly ruled out the popular theory that the series would focus on a young Aragorn — the king-to-be of Gondor was born in the Third Age. It will, however, apparently focus on his lineage. The Second Age was also known as “the age of Númenor,” and was defined by two great events. First, the downfall of the kingdom for daring to challenge the Valar (the Middle-earth gods). And second, the formation of the Last Alliance between the remaining Númenóreans, led by Elendil (father of Isildur, who took the One Ring for himself), and the Elven king Gil-galad.”

1 Like

MLP:FIM’s final season begins April 6.

This is making me emotional and I haven’t watched any since Season 3.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the show Kingdom on Netflix. How could you not enjoy medieval Korean fast zombies? The social commentary subtext is a bit overt but it doesn’t take anything away from the quality of the show. It’s fucking zombies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-yByZpaaM

1 Like

Brooklyn 99. Almost caught up. Long live the Pontiac Bandit!

5 Likes

Jeremy and I have been watching it on Hulu. We just finished season 2. There are so many LOL moments. I love all of it.

2 Likes

I recently watched the first three seasons of Shetland on Netflix, before the show goes away at the end of this month. Another great BBC series. I love the small town feel to the show and the characters and really enjoy how despite being about a murder investigation, there’s almost never any actual violence in the show when the murderer is eventually caught.

Also, the setting of the show is just absolutely gorgeous. The Shetland Isles just have this desolate beauty to them that’s incredible.

Additionally, I watched the F1 show on Netflix. I know nothing about cars, racing, or who any of the teams or racers are, but I still found this show very compelling. I wish they had explained a little more stuff to the viewer (I had to google the difference between the Red Bull racing team and the Toro Rosso team), but otherwise than that, I really enjoyed the show a lot and I’m looking forward to the next season.

As others have mentioned on this forum, it seems that some of the F1 teams chose to not participate in the series, which makes the season-long storyline a bit lopsided, but that didn’t bother me too much. It was a little weird that the best drivers and best teams were hardly covered though.

Having finished Disenchanted, the king is my favorite character from every possible perspective.

Also didn’t expect the last two episodes to grow an actual plot.

1 Like

I tried watching Disenchanted, and got about 3 episodes in, but stopped. I just didn’t like the show at all. I didn’t like the characters, I didn’t think it was funny, and there was no real plot.

I was incredibly disappointed in the show considering I really enjoyed “old school” Simpsons and Futurama.

Yeah, I watched the whole series, but by the end, I was kinda over it, and I’m not gonna actively watch any more of it. Just didn’t manage to really grab me. Maybe I’ll throw it on in the background while I’m working, maybe not.

It was a good background show, while playing Civ or some other game that doesn’t take my whole attention.

The Brooklyn Nine Nine “mumps” episode killed me. I did not realize how bad mumps are. OMG.

I need to see outtakes of this show to see if Andre Braugher laughs at all. That would be so divine.

2 Likes

Something about Disenchanted felt very half-baked. The big celebrity voice actors just weren’t putting a lot into it and I also noticed the audio mixing is nonexistent. Characters will walk and the footsteps will make no sound. It wants to be medieval Futurama but also a big epic at the same time and it’s not doing either very well. The main trio is rather contemptible since they just do bad things like murder innocent people and it’s completely shrugged off. Even with the promises set up, I’m not gonna watch Season 2.

Also I got a Hulu subscription lately which has really stepped up their streaming game. I watched as much as I can of OK KO: Let’s Be Heroes and it’s super delightful. To me, this is the best thing in recent memory that is inspired by the 90s that works super well. Ian-Jones Quartey absolutely loves Cartoon Network and its history and this show feels like a celebration of it while managing to be it’s own thing. Loves the characters and the show as episodic as it feels is really great at doing slight character/worldbuilding.

I think when Gumball and Steven Universe go off the air, OK KO is going to be Cartoon Network’s new flagship and I’m so for that.

2 Likes