What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Maniac (Netflix) was an enjoyable watch in the vein of Legion.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely on my list of shows to watch.

2 Likes

Yuusha Yoshihiko is pretty much old school (read: First generation FF & DQ) JRPG turned TV show plus a dash of ā€œreal worldā€ problem solving.

After one episode of Altered Carbon it seems like I should just go watch GITS:SAC 1st GIG again instead.

We just finished off Netflixā€™s A Series of Unfortunate Events and I fucking loved it. Never read the source material, so this was my only exposure.

I was initially taken in by clever wordplay and the fantastical setup, but I really appreciated the maturation of the themes as the show went on, particularly the way it morphed from a black-and-white depiction of right and wrong to the much messier gray area of adulthood. An excellent tale of growing up and coming to grips with the messiness that is life.

Also, Neil Patrick Harris is a national treasure.

2 Likes

I need to watch this show.

Iā€™m halfway through the new season (5) of Luther, that just came out. While Idris Elba is always amazing, and I love past seasons of the show, this seasonā€™s plot just isnā€™t really doing it for me. Maybe things will improve in the latter two episodes, but I kind of think that the writers of Luther just donā€™t know what to do with the show anymore and just need to let it end.

Also, Miss Sherlock was a lot of fun. Itā€™s hard to separate the show from Sherlock, but I thought this new Japanese adaptation was good and worth watching. Itā€™s interesting how resetting Sherlock Holmes into Japanese society compares to Benedict Cumberbatchā€™s almost over-the-top portrayal of Sherlock Holmes.

3 Likes

Agreed, Luther was dragging and the ending was just :cold_sweat: I wasnā€™t feeling it, and Alice felt more plot-device than human.

2 Likes

Granted, I havenā€™t seen the final two episodes yet, but I definitely agree that, so far, Alice seems more like a plot device, to create tension and suspense, than a real human. I kind of like the ā€œactualā€ case so far, and wish Alice wasnā€™t involved at all.

Having just binged the previous four seasons of Luther over the past couple of weeks, I wish they had gone in a different direction for the fifth (final?) season.

2 Likes

Killing Eve & Counterpart :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart:
Also rec: Maniac
I forget if youā€™ve seen them, but you should: Dear White People, Insecure
Weird worth it: The Path, Young Pope, The OA, 3%

Magicians new season soon!
Also new season of Future Man!

2 Likes

I have been repeatedly impressed by that show. Itā€™s top tier television, and Iā€™m still amazed it was made.

2 Likes

Itā€™s cracking me up. Above expectations.

Iā€™ve been looking for something to watch with my so, heard good things about The Orville, we both like SciFi, and I wanted to watch something lighter, so The Orville it was!

We got to Ep 6, Krill, and it really showed that while Seth really wanted to do a StarTrek show that was real, like people go to the bathroom, coworkers grouse on the bridge, his dynamic between him and his XO is hilarious, he really wanted to show honest to god hard philosophical problems. Iā€™m glad that even just the episode 6 exists, StarTrek always seemed to be very morally black and white, very sterile. This is definitely not that. Itā€™s messy, itā€™s real. Itā€™s currently my favorite StarTrek. I havenā€™t watched Discovery yet though, so who knows?

4 Likes

Anyone else watching Russian Doll? Iā€™m 5 eps in and loving it.

Full disclosure my namesake Elizabeth Ashley is in it.

2 Likes

I started watching it earlier tonight. I finished watching it just now. I have feelings about it.

Itā€¦ It was very very very well done.

1 Like

Marvel has greenlit four adult animated series for Hulu.

Holy shit! Howard the Duck is back!

2 Likes

Two things I never thought would come togetherā€¦are coming together.

A lot less sleeping with aliens will be happening in that version :-p

2 Likes

There already was an animated Star Trek oddly enough. And Nickelodeon aired reruns of it back in the 80ā€™s.

1 Like

ā€œMomā€ and ā€œDadā€ are late coming out of the ready room, and itā€™s a mystery.

Riker spends a looooong time on that simple diplomatic away mission, and itā€™s a mystery

1 Like

I knew about the 80s series. I had no idea Nickelodeon aired it, though.