What TV Shows Are You Watching?

I used to like it, but by about the end of season 2, I was kind of sick of it. “What if this thing that is popular…WAS ACTUALLY BAD?” I mean yeah okay, and there’s a few standout episodes, but it’s been four seasons, it’s getting a little one-note.

I still quite like Black Mirror. Some of the episodes fall a little flat, which has been the case since the show began, but every season has had several episodes that raise worthwhile and interesting questions.

I can agree that it’s running out of steam, but I think there’s potential for a few more good episodes yet.

The Good Place season one was pretty good. Some interesting twists along the way, most of which I guessed, but the final twist is pretty genius, and now I’m super interested in season two. Thankfully that’s on Netflix already, though I probably won’t have 14 hours spare to binge watch it all in one night.

I just finished season two, and it’s even better than season one, and builds on the base premise in a pretty interesting direction, I think you’ll like it.

Plus, bonus points for mentioning Brisbane, and even pronouncing it correctly.

Last week I met someone who was trying to pretend they were Australian. Their accent was pretty good but I picked up they were lying when they mispronounced “Melbourne”.

2 Likes

That’s such a bizarre thing. Why would they pretend to be Australian? I’m not going to say it’s that bad being Australian, but it’s hardly an aspirational goal for most folk.

City names are a pretty good Australian shibboleth, though, Cairns, Melbourne, and Brisbane being the usual ones.

1 Like

On cruise ships people get bored and try out all kind of things. Pretending to be another nationality is a very minor joke to play when meeting someone in the bar for the first time.

Ah, fair enough then. In that context, it makes a lot more sense - I can imagine how folk would get bored, and do something like that for laughs. I mean, why not, chances are you won’t see most of these people again, and if you do, hey, it’s a minor joke that folk could look back on and have a giggle about.

Season 2 isn’t actually over yet, but I agree with y’all.

I’d say “pretty good” is about right for Season 1; it’s good enough to keep you watching and get its hooks into you, and then, fortunately, Season 2 steps things up and doesn’t let you down, at least so far.

Oh, you’re right! I thought that last episode aired was the season finale.

And yeah, it’s like that. I went in, thinking it was something to watch on the side while I was working, and the first few episodes I was going “Yeah, this is okay”, not thinking much about it - then before I noticed, it had the hooks in deep. It gets you real sneaky.

I had heard it gets better in season 2, so was fine with the quality level of season 1.

But now I found out the only teason it was suddenly available on Netflix was because I was in South America when I found it and downloaded it to my phone. Now I’m home in Germany it’s not available anymore, and Juliane couldn’t check out an episode when she tried to last night either.

How annoying.

Anyone watching season 2 of High Maintenance from HBO? Season premiere was legit. I want to talk about this show with people.

Been very impressed with TV coming out lately. Binged Altered Carbon. The Good Place continues being excellent.

4 Likes

Have you seen Counterpart yet? If so, what do you think?

I’m waiting for a couple more episodes to come out before I watch it, but all the reviews I’ve read so far have been positive.

Altered Carbon looks neat. For anyone looking for a decent Always Sunny analog AP Bio has Glenn Howerton as basically Dennis and Patton Oswalt as sort of a bumbling principal.

I have been watching Letterkenny. It’s excellent.

2 Likes

Watched the first few episodes of Altered Carbon with my girlfriend and now I really want to watch more, but I have to wait until next weekend unless I want to lie or get a really fancy gift for Valentines/CNY

That said it has been a really good show so far despite a few nitpicks.

1 Like

I just watched a clip of this on youtube. I love it. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfFXstTOBI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXpz_nGir2c

3 Likes

Oh yeah completely forgot to mention it. Definitely enjoying it as well.
Currently airing:
The Good Place – if you aren’t watching this, you should
Counterpart – so far so good
The Path – pretty interesting story line
Discovery – plot is moving quickly, enjoying but hope it doesn’t burn out
Hard Sun – pre-apocalyptic cop show, a bit glacial & tedious but still interesting
The Magicians – doing better than I expected, and definitely still good

5 Likes

Yea it’s amazing that Netflix could drop the ball with promoting this show, it had a great first eps. (all I’ve seen so far) but definitely going to be my new treadmill show for the next 9 eps.