Video game offers

Crusader Kings II is free on Steam:

1 Like

Mostly my reaction, but I tried harder to the tune of 8 hours.

CK2 is one of those games with a learning cliff, not a curve. The best way I found to get competent with it is watch a ton of tutorial videos.

I mean people have said thatā€™s true of dwarf foretress but I beg to differ. Df is relatively easy to learn how to do basics.

DF also isnā€™t CKII. Dwarf Fortress is at least intuitive. CKII isnā€™t even that.

Did you really call Dwarf Fortress intuitive? Cā€™mon man. Thatā€™s a bit of a stretch.

Iā€™d argue that itā€™s more intuitive than any Paradox game Iā€™ve played.

2 Likes

The basics are easy to get. Theyā€™re not intuitive at allā€¦ not even a little bit, but if you are willing to look up how to dig, build a wall and build a workshop, congratulations, youā€™re now playing DF.

My only reason for bringing it up was to contrast it with the ā€˜learning cliffā€™ of CK2, mentioned earlier.

DF is another game thatā€™s said to be hard to learn and Iā€™m wondering if we could reach a consensus as to whether CK2 is easier or harder to get into.

I think CKII clicks for some people. My girlfriend hadnā€™t played any Paradox games beforehand (and doesnā€™t play many videogames in general) but studied medieval history in college, and she spent three straight hours diving into papal politics her first playthrough.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen some of the least grognardian folks pick up CKII and run with it for hundreds of hours. Iā€™ve tried to put those same people into a game like EUIV or much simpler like Civ and they say itā€™s not intuitive. I think what the main thing weā€™re running into is that CKII is approaching a deep simulation where you need to have extreme interest in medieval politics and relationships and your standard ideas of how to play a grand strategy game are butting heads.

Iā€™m frankly shocked that DF could be called intuitive in any sense of the word! I literally spewed my tea when I read that. I was able to attack and take over the next county in CKII in my first I-hadnā€™t-even-run-the-tutorial-yet play through and yet I find making a new game of DF an exercise in frustration.

I think I talked about this in passing previously, but I guess one thing that makes Crusader Kings 2 easier to get into than some other Paradox or just strategy games is the focus on character. You are a character and there are other characters, some who like you and some who hate you and in the end itā€™s mostly about that web of relationships. Itā€™s lot easier to think ā€œas a king of France, what do I want to doā€, rather than ā€œas the abstract concept thatā€™s known as France, what do I want to do?ā€

2 Likes

Right now Twitch Prime has a deal where you can get 500 bits for $1. This means you can give $1 to Amazon who will then give $5 to your favorite streamer.

Anyone got any suggestions for some less popular, but high quality, streamers who could use the bits?

Iā€™ve been checking out some coding and reverse engineering streams lately. scanlime, ferrisstreamsstuff, and noopkat.

MacBookProPUBG

ā€¦

Definitely BossDoors, theyā€™re good folk.

Halfcoordinated, as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ll second that. Heā€™s always in my Top 5 runs during any GDQ heā€™s in.

Itā€™s the 20th anniversary of Unreal. The original Unreal from 1998. Itā€™s actually a good single player fps if you havenā€™t played it. Itā€™s free on Steam and GoG.

I havenā€™t tried this, but it looks somewhat decent, and free is (nearly) always good:

ā€œIn an attempt to zap some life back into Raiders in time for the next episodic campaign release, for the next two days, you can grab the entire game (including three DLC solo/co-op campaigns) free on Steam to keep forever.ā€