Video game offers

I still have like 1500 unplayed games from the last one! They need to make a music festival-style poster for these so I know the headliners.

1 Like

Free good old PC games this month:

1 Like

If you don’t own it already, Into the Breach is $3.74 on Steam right now.

steam’s halloween sale started yesterday picked up Jazzpunk and Venineth

https://jinglejam.tiltify.com/

Wow, what a bundle for only $5.

Loop Hero is free to keep, today on the epic games store:

I’d had it in my steam wishlist, but can’t remember where I heard about it or why I put it there. Guess I’ll give it a try if it’s zero dollars.

1 Like

I have never witch’d, but the trilogy is available for a way way low price on Steam right now.

Only thing is, looks like it only has base Witcher 3, no expansions or other DLC. Warning for anyone who might want the complete package.

Thanks, I don’t know anything about witchin’.

@Apreche The Witcher 3 GOTY version which includes the major DLC is also on sale so if you get the bundle you could then get the DLC still at a discount.

1 Like

I love the series there are some hiccups but it improves the whole time. Fair warning Witcher 1 combat is very PC-RPG whereas 2 & 3 move towards a more action RPG format so just don’t get too invested in the mechanical systems in Witcher 1 (similar to the change Mass Effect went through from 1 to 2). That said lore about potions and weapon oils and damage towards all the monsters literally is useful from game 1 onwards.

Really good summary from the guy who created Kirby and Smash Brothers, about not just games, but The Content Deluge as well:

1 Like

If you haven’t played XCOM2, it’s 3 bucks (95% off) on gog:

1 Like

If you already own Portal on Steam and have a modern Nvidia GPU then you have access to a free new version of the game: Portal with RTX, a ray-traced update to the original game. Pretty cool visual update to this classic game.

Ok, it’s ray tracing and I can see it looks a little prettier, better reflections and lighting. Cool. Oh, apparently it is utilizing a framework called RTX remix to swap out the old rendering path for a game with a new ray-traced rendering, while not needing to update the original art assets. So, we could see this type of refresh/upgrade for a bunch of older games!? I’ll be watching this space.

This Nvidia slide:

And here is the video it came from and an interesting explanation of the technical accomplishment that this game update is:

Yeah, they announced this when they announced the 4080. Good to see it’s out now. The real question is, is it worth it? Yeah, there are people who get off just looking at framerate numbers and fancy graphics. But it’s still the same Portal. Do you want to replay it? Is replaying it with fancy graphics worth several hundred dollars? What else could a person do with that money?

I guess for people who have no gaming PC and no GPU whatsoever, they’re going to buy one with RTX, and this will be a nice treat. Especially for those who have never played Portal.

I see it as a perk for whenever you get your next video card. Not a reason to get one.

2 Likes

I played it on my 3080 Ti and it runs beautifully! The video has some recommended settings to get a good experience on a 2080 as well. So while a 4080 will let you turn all the sliders up to the max, you still can see the benefits on a reasonably modern Nvdia card.

I thought it was interesting, especially with the technical explanations in the video, as far as what it could mean for replaying older games with a fresh coat of paint on them, more so than “yay new Portal we should all play right now!”