Video Game News & Discussion 2.0

Apparently the point did, and you decided to save your cash.

Yeah, no shit, thanks for explaining it to me like I’d never heard of video games before.

I’m still telling you that you don’t want the government making knee-jerk legislation in response to this. Been there, done that, it’s a fucking disaster.

This is good because it is regulating gambling. They should regulate CCG card packs also.

It’s knee-jerk trash that will do little if anything to solve the problem. Did you even read the legislation? Literally the only ones that matter are the ones banning sale of any game with any form of both payment and random item drop to anyone under 21 - and it only punishes retailers. Which literally does nothing to actually fix the problem of blind boxes in games, it’s just punishing retailers for selling a product they don’t actually control, and will be absolutely ignored by big publishers, who still have 50 other states and literally the rest of the world to sell in.

Not to mention, y’all are ignoring a big old loophole - Can’t buy it if you’re not over 21? No problem - the overwhelming majority of consumers under 21 already have their games bought for them by a parent, relative, or guardian.

The others are warning labels - which we already know doesn’t really work, because people just train themselves to ignore the labels, as we’ve seen with the MUCH more dire cigarette pack warnings - and drop tables, and if telling people their chances of winning made a difference, the lottery literally wouldn’t exist.

It’s Storm-and-fury vote-gathering, not a solution. Bring me a solution, not penny-ante electioneering.

Christ, no wonder marketing teams the world over think gamers are suckers, tell us what we want to hear and we’ll nod and clap along like trained seals.

They should regulate CCG card packs also.

But they won’t, because they don’t care about the gambling, they care about making a noise to get votes to look like they care.

Anything that forces companies to publish the odds is good. In this way even a local area’s faulty legislation can benefit all places.

Assassin’s Creed will have a nonviolent, educational mode. It will release February 20.

OutsideXbox and their sister channel OutsideXtra have some good videos that explain more about it, and give you a bit of a look.

https://medium.com/@elliott_m_jones/did-i-destroy-the-indie-gaming-scene-f74a1cff8fbe

This guy claims sole responsibility for corrupting Steam Greenlight.

I decided to aggressively advertise around 5% of the games on Steam Greenlight, for free. Because of the advertising, the 5% of games I chose to advertise received significantly more votes than the other games on the service and the average amount of votes a game on the service got rose tremendously. This meant that the 95% of games that I didn’t choose to advertise (even the good ones) found themselves without enough votes to pass the voting stage. This was a genius move by myself as it meant that any game that wanted enough votes to sell on the Steam platform needed to work with me, and therefore in the span of just a few weeks I had advertised hundreds of games and generated thousands of pounds in profit for my new company. Overnight I had turned a democratic voting system created by one of the world’s most profitable companies into a dictatorship and I was the leader. Unethical? Potentially, but I was earning easy money and nobody was getting hurt, in my mind I had found a gold mine and it was making me rich.

Congratulations the ESRB does something that should have been done years ago

In general I love sensible regulation but I will not hesitate to point out that often it’s behind the curve.

The pattern is, some new shit happens, people wait and see what happens, the world ends, they regulate the new shit.

2 Likes

If you are a fan of older video game review style, this is a must watch.

So Dota 2 finally has a tutorial of sorts, and it will cost you a subscription fee to use it.

http://www.dota2.com/plus

X-Com + Indiana Jones = SOLD!

Edited to add: I think I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry!

They’ve been doing that for a while. Has anyone used the Twitch Gaming App before? Does it work effectively?

Seriously, two weeks after my Prime expired?

Oxenfree is decent, Superhot is awesome, Shadow Tactics I didn’t play a whole lot of because it’s really hard sometimes but I thought it was fun. It’s like a newage Commando.

How do you get the free games? Go to twitch or Amazon?

I think it works with both. I’d use the Twitch Prime link, though, just in case.