Video Game News & Discussion 2.0

Yep. It’s not a bad idea, but a bad implementation. The way it is now, it’s basically entirely impossible for 3/4ths of the world to use it, which limits your market severely, and even in those markets, your consumer base is limited - things like 20gb an hour bandwidth usage puts it out of reach for a lot of people in those markets, for example, having a service where you don’t need to buy a powerful PC, console, or other device doesn’t matter shit if those people also can’t afford to buy a pretty beefy connection, and also has no actual or “good faith”(ie, unlimited if you don’t go overboard) download limits.

I can definitely see a service like this being incredibly viable in the future - but I’m not sure how they have a path to success here.

One thing I’m curious about is if they might be trying to force an upgrade of internet. Like, the reason this sucks for certain demographics bus because the internet they’re forced to contend with. Specifically data caps. Microsoft buckled immediately under this. But I’d thought if they got enough people to make a stink about it they’d turn the tides. Remote access internet is a different story.

Stadia could end in one of two ways: 1) Forces ISPs to upgrade their networks including a 5G rollout. 2) Modern video gaming becomes the exclusive purview of the super rich, with the rest of the 99.9% peasantry entertain themselves with games like Food Rioting and Purges.

1 Like
3 Likes

Hell yeah, let game developers enter the Guilded Age.

1 Like

I bought Dragon Warrior Monsters the day it came out, and played it a ton, although I never beat it. This article really brings me back to exactly 19 years ago. Wow.

1 Like

Jupiter is still toiling away in the Picross mines.

1 Like

Good, I always desire more more MORE.

1 Like

Epic used their Fortnite money to buy Rocket League

I hear epic’s the land of the eternal crunch of success. Wonder if they’ll nab that rocket league talent and then break them in crunch.

1 Like

https://www.codedojo.com/

Universal Game Translator – Using Google’s Cloud Vision API to live-translate Japanese games played on original consoles

https://youtu.be/he7VZ-I1iIk

Steam Link now on iOS. HOLY SHIT.

1 Like

Oh boyo next thing I buy is a bluetooth controller. Any good suggestions?

I have not seen many good ones.

Wait until the all controller is released and get that one.

Xbox elite controller seems to be the go-to.

I’m using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015WKY3IM

I havn’t had any problems with it, but the xbox controller is much much more likely to have custom controller profiles and stuff setup by other users that you can use.

1 Like

It’s bluetooth? I have XBox 360 controllers, and they are not.

Switch Pro controller IS Bluetooth, and works with PC, but will it work with iPad and Steam Link?

I might just use my Steam controller. I have it, I paid for it. It’s got plenty of problems, but it’s effectively free since I own it already.