Video Game News & Discussion 2.0

Considering the Steam Link App on Android, I expect third party versions to start popping up. It works fairly well so far, even though tis still in beta.

If SteamOS was built into TVs and there were more Overcooked type games (4 player local co-op), it might just keep SteamOS relevant for casual gaming.

More fuel on the Google gaming console fire.

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/1510080

Chrome is adding support for Switch controllers in pretty much every configuration.

I don’t know if there’s a future where PC Gamers don’t buy Gaming PCs or build their own. At least, not in the foreseeable future.

Consoles will probably get more and more PC-like, but will remain relatively locked down.

Casual gaming is tough, because as soon as your scope is casual, you’re competing with tablets and phones.

1 Like

This would be cool for minor things, like if I wanted to play Civ VI in between tickets at work, but I dunno. Then again, much like Jersey Girl, I just don’t think this is FOR me.

Tom Waits or Bruce Springsteen?

Kevin Smith. It’s a reference to this penny arcade:

1 Like

Dwarf Fortress is coming to Steam

So the idea is that you are watching YouTube and you see a cool game. Then you click a link and some cloud computer runs the game and streams it to your browser and you start playing immediately.

The idea is the future we’ve all known someone was gonna try at some point.

How are they gonna get some of these games running on linux? The only like… good solution I know of is a GPU passthrough and that still leaves your games running in sandboxed windows.

It’s going to be hard to imaging what Sony and MS will be able to do in light of this.

I feel that best thing Sony could give would be Playstation 5. Kinda like Playstation 4, but with bigger number. Also they could be a little less dicks about cross platform play.

Also I could dream for whatever physical media it uses to be such that it can fit all of most games instead of having tiny bit and download the rest in them. But I don’t have any hopes up for that.

Im starting to get existential terror that i no longer understand the gaming market because i find it hard to believe Google thinks this is a good idea. Like, we are still in preorder hell where any AAA is hyped for a solid year. Who the fuck learns about a game’s existence by watching streams for it? This just sounds completely backwards.

3 Likes

Supringly I have found gamea via streamers in the last,they key being that the streamer plays a variety of games. As of late this is getting to be more of a hassle since twitch is pushing you to play the hot games via bounties. If you want a great example of how to do this look up awesome video games.

The irony in that statement is that video games already run on FreeBSD (it’s the basis of the PS4’s OS). :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, realistically Sony probably chose FreeBSD because they could hack it up with whatever proprietary stuff they wanted for the PS4 without having to make it public and provide a solid base OS that people would be somewhat familiar with programming for, at least at the API level.

This looks fucking terrible.