Video Game News & Discussion 2.0

So I have a steam controller as well and I just find it awkward with their… quasi-touchpad thing. Neat idea, probably great for like Civ, but most of what I’m going to couch-play is your 3rd person over the shoulder-type action games or old-school RPGs.

For sure there are bluetooth x-box controllers, it might only be the elite which is pretty expensive. Hense why I got the cheaper one, which I picked out because I was specifically targeting bluetooth android compatible controllers. It is “almost” right, but some xbox control schemes are mapped slightly differently which can be a pain.

IOS compatible might be a different thing (I own no IOS things), but I’m going to bet if it’s possible to connect an x-box controller that’s going to be the thing with the most support from the community.

Edit: I am reading now from the googling that maybe IOS locks down their bluetooth controllers further, though I’m seeing a lot of things dated 2016. Outcome unclear.

Yeah, the Xbox Elite Controllers are for Xbox One, where their wireless controllers use bluetooth, though only recent ones, like the Xbox One S and Xbox One X, have wider compatibility by default.

Edit: Forgot to add, I have no clue about the Elite Controller itself. I only know about the new Xbox One controllers. The Elite could be like the original wireless Xbox One controllers and locked down to only work with the Xbox One and not other bluetooth compatible devices. I do know you needed an adapter for it to work wirelessly on PCs.

That’s primarily because most PCs don’t have a bluetooth adapter built in. If you do, you can connect directly without one.

As for the Elite, as far as I know, it connects identically to the regular controller. If the device can’t handle the extra buttons, it just pretends to be a regular controller.

The problem with the Xbox Elite controller is that it is hoooooooly shiiiiiiit $150

Yeah, for sure. I mean, I can see where they’re coming from, and it’s a very well designed and built device, but that’s still a LOT of money for a controller.

Jesus fuck for $150 I hope it mows my lawn and does my taxes. Why is it so expensive?

Basically, they’re a lot more difficult and expensive to build, with more custom parts. Higher quality GFRP instead of regular plastic, rubberized coating for grip, four additional switches on the bottom for additional inputs from removable paddles, mechanically adjustable triggers, higher quality switches, interchangable sticks and d-pad, metal sleeves on all friction points to minimize wear, more built in memory so it can store button configs, plus it comes with a carrying case and a bunch of the different interchangeable parts(many of which are also metal and require multi-stage construction), etc etc.

That controller seems to have a lot of breakage issues, from what I heard from streamers, speedrunners, and twitter complaints?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the Elite controller does not have bluetooth.

New game handheld. Looks cute.

I thought “Fail!” but then I read more. Now I think this looks like a pretty decent product, not because it is developed by the creators of Firewatch, but because the creators of Firewatch are actually utilities app programmers. They normally make things like Transmission (FTP) and Firewatch was their first attempt at game development. If this is their first attempt at hardware, I’ll give much more benefit of the doubt than, say, whoever came up with Ouya.

How interesting that you bring up Ouya.

It’s almost as if I saw that news and used it as a timely example.

1 Like

Teenage Engineering apparently collaborating with Panic on Play date.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxzEg80iWRK/?igshid=yfv6lpcqmmtm

Now I’m more interested! Hope there will be some music apps!!!

I’m hoping something in the vein lsdj or nanoloop. But I doubt Teenage Engineering would want to, seeing as they have their entire line of synths.

I imagine they will have Playdate versions of their pocket operators. The art style already fits and there are so many variations to explore.

I love their Pocket Operators, probably their only music product I’ll spend money on. (They have a multicolor mechanical pencil I’ve been eyeing for years…) But also I get the feeling they don’t like repeating themselves too much, as it’s evident with the OP-1 and OP-Z.

1 Like