The New Forum beta test - complaints and suggestions

Avatars are resetting for some accounts (Churba and Luke I’ve noticed so far) on Chrome for Windows 10. Anyone else having this issue? Not having the same issue on Chrome on my phone.

I noticed the same thing earlier today. I’ve seen luke and No_fun_girl without avatars, and just noticed that mine had vanished for me from my topbar, but not from my posts. But since Greg can’t see my topbar, I guess I can also assume my avi is gone from my posts for other people.

I was wondering why a bunch of avatars strangely vanished a few days ago.

It doesn’t appear to be a browser issue. I’m trying the site on three different browsers and they all have the same result (although I am using Windows 10). Is it happening on laptops or other OSes?

For me it had switched from Gravatar to Default, If you’re using Gravatar, go check your account settings.

Same on Linux. /15 chars

Seems to have worked for me.

It seems the avatars are back.

There was an upgrade yesterday. Probably got some bugfixes in there.

Is there any rate limiting on the server? Are there any rules you would prefer respected?

Discourse fixed the [details] bug I reported.

Reading that thread reminded me about Jefft Atwood, the guy who leads Discourse and also made Stack Overflow. I listened to him on the Stack Overflow podcast long long long ago in the Beacon days, and he seemed normal. But whenever he posts in the Discourse forum he is the ultimate open source tech jerk telling people to RTFM, “it’s supposed to work like that,” and the perennial “send in a patch if you want it changed.” He tried to make Stack Overflow to protect the world from people like himself.

Is there a way to see muted topics? I’d like to mute some threads but I don’t know I will never have something to say on the topics, so I’d like to be able to pull them up somewhere else.

Yeah he was a real ass in that thread. If the preview doesn’t match what’s actually displayed it’s a bug, and you will literally never convince me otherwise.

Muting a topic means you won’t be notified about it, and it won’t appear in the list of latest updates. You can still direct link to the thread to read it.

But it won’t appear anywhere in the UI?

You can search for it or go look for it in its specific category. It won’t appear in your feed of “latest” threads.