The New Forum beta test - complaints and suggestions

It seems the avatars are back.

There was an upgrade yesterday. Probably got some bugfixes in there.

Is there any rate limiting on the server? Are there any rules you would prefer respected?

Discourse fixed the [details] bug I reported.

Reading that thread reminded me about Jefft Atwood, the guy who leads Discourse and also made Stack Overflow. I listened to him on the Stack Overflow podcast long long long ago in the Beacon days, and he seemed normal. But whenever he posts in the Discourse forum he is the ultimate open source tech jerk telling people to RTFM, “it’s supposed to work like that,” and the perennial “send in a patch if you want it changed.” He tried to make Stack Overflow to protect the world from people like himself.

Is there a way to see muted topics? I’d like to mute some threads but I don’t know I will never have something to say on the topics, so I’d like to be able to pull them up somewhere else.

Yeah he was a real ass in that thread. If the preview doesn’t match what’s actually displayed it’s a bug, and you will literally never convince me otherwise.

Muting a topic means you won’t be notified about it, and it won’t appear in the list of latest updates. You can still direct link to the thread to read it.

But it won’t appear anywhere in the UI?

You can search for it or go look for it in its specific category. It won’t appear in your feed of “latest” threads.

1 Like

If you’re wondering why the forum looks different:

I would often go down the line looking for the most recent relevant board game thread for some post.

Why not just go directly to the board game category page?

I didn’t know it existed.

Apparently some people have bumped into this lately:

“Number of posts a user has to make in a row in a topic before being prevented from adding another reply.”

The default value was 3. I changed it to 5.

When you hotlink an image and the forum bot copies auto-rewrites the link to the S3 bucket, is the original link saved anywhere?

It’s nice to avoid link rot, but sometimes I wish I could see where the original came from.

I don’t know.

If the original is from a site like Twitter or Instagram, the box around the image will have the correct links and such.

I don’t know if this is something you all can control or even know why it’s happening but when I have the forum open in Firefox on my phone it really heats up. Is the forum software really intensive to run on the user end?

I think that’s just you.