The New Forum beta test - complaints and suggestions

Wanna see something I expect will never be fixed.

Whenever I load the fuck the police thread, and ONLY the fuck the police thread the page breaks. Element’s don’t load, those that do, don’t move when I scroll the page.

If I scroll up far enough to get the lazy loading to happen and probably unload the bottom of the thread then back down it looks better and readable but not perfect, there’s usually something not right like a random black box or something. It’s odd. Lemme grab a screenshot.

I have a big enough monitor and wanna keep this post one screen

Perhaps it’ll be fixed whenever whatever is causing the nonsense is no longer loaded by default as it’s too far up in the thread. /shrug

I can not replicate this.

Have you tried disabling your ad blocker or tracking blockers, like Disconnect or Ghostery, to see if it is doing something screwy? I know on some pages my tracking blocker has issues with Facebook, specifically preview panes. I have to change the way my blocker works on certain pages.

It was a good idea but no dice. I just disabled them all one by one and the issue persisted. I’ll show off with another screenshot hang tight

why u make me do dis

I’ve been reminded how much I hate this place without a dark theme.

I updated firefox and this seems to have stopped.

Just discovered that it is! Once the forum bot auto-rewrites this post, click on the pencil icon, it shows the diff history.

Maybe related: just now loading the Metal thread, the tab would look like it loaded correctly for ~half a second and then crash, 100% of the time.

It did not crash if I load the tab in a private window, logged in or anonymous. After I wiped my browser cache for frontrowcrew.com, it still persisted, but a hard refresh during that loading window seems to have fixed it.

Possibly. As I said, for me I was able to fix it by updating firefox. This only works if you have a pending firefox update to do however.

So Discourse changed their API for posting new topics. Instead of specifying category by name ‘geeknights’ I had to specify it by id number. This meant the last two automatic forum posts were not automatically generated. I fixed it and then triggered the API call manually for the two missing threads. Should work from now until the next time they change the API.

1 Like

As someone that lives in consuming and providing API worlds, I recently had my first interaction with an API that used the OpenAPI spec. Really cool in that you could just generate code to consume the api in whatever language you wanted with a couple commands. However, in this case, they took that as “we’re just going to change everything all the time with no documentation, because you can just generate the code again.”

Not sure if an update took place but I am trying to log into the forum via my phone and it is telling me to accept cookies or it would not be able to log in…I accept cookies in Firefox for mobile.

No, but an update became available just now. Let’s see if it fixes your problem. Honestly though. I’m suspecting it’s a local issue for you, since nobody else has said anything.

Did try it again same issue. I had a hunch my VPN may be interrupting it so I turned that off too and tried again, same thing. This is odd since I had it working yesterday, will look to see if any other changes took place.

Edit: turns out I had to reboot the phone and it worked? Ah well thanks for looking into it.

This is a great development.

It sticks across tabs too!

Edit: Turns out that’s because this is from Firefox, not the forum. Use Firefox!

Maybe make the “Movies” category into “Movies/TV” so that TV based threads can be more efficiently sorted.

2 Likes

Why am I being logged out of the forum almost continuously?

I had a similar issue starting a day or two ago. I thought it was just me. The thing is, after I logged back in, the problem went away. I figured it was a one-time logout from maybe my cookies expiring. There haven’t been any Discourse software updates in awhile, so it’s not a newly introduced software bug. I’ll check it later.

Ok, the forum upgraded. I’m hoping this fixes the issues with staying logged in. If the issue persists, I will try some other fixes.

1 Like

I am noticing that whenever I access the forum via my phone that after a period of tine (say 8 hoursish) my camera will take a picture of me. I know this because my one plus 7 pro literally extracts and detracts the camera .

After checking my phone and revering the web I think it boils down to the forum software wanting an image of me, any way we could check to see if there isn’t malware on the site?

3 Likes

What in the fuck.

4 Likes