Star Wars: The Disney Era

New animated microseries coming in July.

GET HYPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

“It’s time for the Jedi…to end”

Darn fucking tootin’. Seriously, it’s an order of ascetic monks who view emotion as evil, and have caused more political hassles than they’ve solved, fuck 'em off, let’s get the new blood in.

I mean real talk, the Jedi are like ISIS and the Empire is pretty much America run in an orderly fashion (considering all the recent jacking off to military strikes. :wink:

[quote=“sK0pe, post:70, topic:110, full:true”]
I mean real talk, the Jedi are like ISIS and the Empire is pretty much America run in an orderly fashion (considering all the recent jacking off to military strikes.
[/quote]Well, I’m not sure I’d go that far, but they literally wouldn’t be in this situation if they’d just sat these younglings down and gone “Alright, pack of armed teenagers who can throttle people with their minds, you’re going through some changes, and that’s okay. You’re allowed to feel different things. So first we’re gonna talk about sex and relationships, and next week, we’re going to talk about consent when you have the ability to control people’s minds.”

Seriously, just let Anakin have a few dates, get married, and you’re cool. No more foothold for the Emperor to use his hidden relationship as leverage against him, no more worrying about having his life with the Jedi order conflicting with his love life, none of all that shit. The Republic fell because a bunch of cranky old virgins were like “Nah son entering the bone zone is shithouse and you shouldn’t do it or else.” All that guilt fucks you up, ask the Catholics.

1 Like

I don’t have to, they automatically tell me after 15 minutes of conversation.

3 Likes

I visited another of the locations in Rogue One; Jedha City! Otherwise known as Wadi Rum, Jordan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEDOLQ7xd-0

Previously I visited Lah’mu, from the opening scene of the movie, but didn’t know it at the time, otherwise known as the Laki volcanic area of Iceland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQIB7Ap0JA

2 Likes

In some of the last bit of canon before the Disney reboot there was a reason for this that dated back to the origins of the Jedi. The short version is the planet where the Jedi developed their skills and abilities reacted to the use of those abilities. So the proto-Jedi walked a very balanced path. However after a civil war waged by proponents of the Dark Side, it was determined the Dark Side was too dangerous to be park of doctrine.

You can make an argument that the Dark Side of the Force creates a negative feedback loop. The more someone relies upon it, the more unhinged they become.

What the Jedi teach is more about being “Mindful” of your feeling. Acknowledge they exist and deal with them in productive way.

Another Jedi Civil war a little bit later demonstrated to the Republic that force users were extremely dangerous. A powerful force user trained in their abilities could overthrow planets. I think the Republic supported the Jedi as much as it did a means of controlling force users. It gave the Republic a group of Warrior Monks (Monks don’t establish Galactic Dynasties) to use to put down any Force User out to conquer the galaxy and preserve the status quo.

In that sense the Republic needed the Jedi to maintain order in the galaxy, while the Jedi needed the Republic sanction to exist in the galaxy openly. The Empire basically created a giant war machine, the Death Star in particular, and the Imperial Navy and Army as a whole to replace the Jedi.

The Jedi are not ISIS, they never wanted to control territory or run a government. ISIS would be more akin to the Sith, as it’s more about control under a Autocratic Theocracy. (NOTE: I am not comparing Islam to the Sith. Only the violent extremism being committed in Islam’s name)

I blame Emperor Palpatine, he created the Clone War and the circumstances that followed with the express purpose of destroying the Jedi Order as part of the Revenge of the Sith.

1 Like

[quote=“Raithnor, post:75, topic:110”]
The Jedi are not ISIS, they never wanted to control territory or run a government. ISIS would be more akin to the Sith, as it’s more about control under a Autocratic Theocracy. (NOTE: I am not comparing Islam to the Sith. Only the violent extremism being committed in Islam’s name)
[/quote]Honestly, I don’t think they’re remotely comparable to ISIS, just that they’re a bunch of idiots who cause more trouble sticking by their ways instead of exploring new paths.

We know(or at least, until it gets pulled into the new canon, knew) about other force users who were not Sith, but also not Jedi, and were still good. The White Current/Fallanassi, the Potentium(who, I might add, despite being literally entirely dedicated to what the Jedi would call the “Light side”, they regarded as a sith plot because it wasn’t their teachings, something something absolutes), Aing-Tii, the Bendu(whose symbol, inverted, became the symbol of the empire), the Force Warriors(who, interestingly enough, for the basis for Chirrut Imwe and the Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One), The Grey Jedi, Grey Paladins(who used to be part of the Jedi order, until the order kicked them out for suggesting they use blasters as well as lightsabers - man, the Order were kinda dickbags), Keepers of the Breath, the Jal Shey(basically, Force Scientists), the Matukai, the list goes on.

I maintain both of my points, The Force is made of ghosts, and that the Jedi Order could have avoided this whole mess if they just stopped being tradition-obsessed, puritanical dickholes for like five minutes.

1 Like

It’s no longer cannon, but in the extended universe version, the New Jedi Order allowed people to get married and have kids. Han and Leia had three, Luke had a son, etc.

You’re asking an institution that is anywhere from 1,000-25,000 years old to completely rewrite their rules for one person.

I think there was an unspoken rule that force traditions was allowed to continue so long as they stayed on their homeworlds. The Witches of Dathomir for instance were largely allowed to continue their practices until they moved onto the Galactic stage. It’s the same with many of the other factions, they stayed in their small pocket of the Galaxy. Also the Empire made it a point to wipe out as many force using traditions as possible.

Some of the Grey Jedi stuff I never really agreed with since it reeked too much of “Having your cake and eating it too.” Also no one major ran with the concept except as backstory fill.

[quote=“Raithnor, post:78, topic:110”]
You’re asking an institution that is anywhere from 1,000-25,000 years old to completely rewrite their rules for one person.
[/quote]Well, for everybody, really, he’s just the biggest, most obvious symptom of a systematic problem. He can’t be the only jedi out there with a secret partner, and I’m pretty sure there’s more than a few who quit for love. I mean, come on, it shouldn’t have to take an angsty early-20-something destroying your entire order to bring about a little social advancement.

Some of the Grey Jedi stuff I never really agreed with since it reeked too much of “Having your cake and eating it too.” Also no one major ran with the concept except as backstory fill.
[/quote]Not going to argue, but they’re just one of the first handful that sprang to mind. And hey, not the first time that something mentioned or touched on just a few times was counted as canon - that’s why the EU was such a shitshow, and the Holocron department was deemed necessary to start trying to untangle all that shit.

I think there was an unspoken rule that force traditions was allowed to continue so long as they stayed on their homeworlds. The Witches of Dathomir for instance were largely allowed to continue their practices until they moved onto the Galactic stage. It’s the same with many of the other factions, they stayed in their small pocket of the Galaxy. Also the Empire made it a point to wipe out as many force using traditions as possible.
[/quote]True, but by the time the EU wrapped up, there was, what, at least 30-40 different full on force-using philosophies, not counting just the force sensitive ones like Gand Findsmen? I think they left them alone just out of sheer lack of time to do their usual shit like meditating on how the force is literally made of ghosts, AND piss about sorting all these other non-jedi folk.

There were people who left the order, but there were only 20 people at or above the rank of Knight to do so in the last 1000 years.

The problem with family is lineage, th e EU wasn’t shy about addressing the Skywalkers as a ruling dynasty and how it couldn’t be a good idea. Then there was the lost tribe of Sith where bloodlines were highly valued.

I was expecting Star Wars every Christmas, but apparently that’s not how it’s going to go down.

You get one a year.

2017: The Last Jedi
2018: Han Solo
2019: Episode IX

Yes, but it moved to May.

Rogue One was delayed from May to Dec.

According to a local news story, there MIGHT be some Star Wars shot near my town! Spoiler alert: an upcoming Star War might include the exotic location of rolling green hills and horse farms.

Edit to remove link to fake article.

I’m on my phone, so I can’t post the links, but this is a common fake news article that’s been circulating with different towns and different nonexistent news channels. Kprk6 is not an actual news channel.

Insert random town here: