Show Ideas and Reminders

Quit playing games altogether or quit playing a specific one that they were previously playing a lot?

Quit playing all together. I feel like you’ve had episodes were you all talk about quitting specific games.

I can’t imagine that someone out there played video games and then just stops playing any at all. They might change which kinds of games they play, how many, how often, etc. But going from playing some to playing none ever is very strange. Even me who watches much less TV than I used to, I still watch more than zero TV. To just completely abstain from an entire medium of art is very strange.

As someone who has a toddler, its very very, possible to enter this state with a baby. There were solid months where I didn’t watch a single movie whether at home or in theaters because I could not carve out a 90 min to 2 hour block of free time without the baby in the room to watch something uninterrupted. I believe that I essentially saw zero films the first year of my sons life an only broke the streak shortly after his 1 year birthday getting to see Villeneuve’s Dune in theaters.

But it’s not that you gave up it entirely. You were simply prevented.

If I get injured in a way that prevents me from biking, that doesn’t mean I’ve quit biking.

1 Like

Just addressing it met this criteria.

I do agree that probably walking away FOREVER would be tough to nail down for games because its like do you play a mobile puzzle game or boardgame app thats a video game technically?

It did meet that criteria, but what in life doesn’t? Anyone could be prevented or deterred from doing a thing at any time by the circumstances of the universe. That’s not a show topic.

We could talk about the change of media consumption habits as people age and their life circumstances change, assuming nothing unfortunate or unusual happens. But that’s going to be different for everybody. I’ve spent plenty of time talking about how I can’t play grindy random encounter JRPGs anymore because I don’t have time or patience for that. But I know several people who actually play them more nowadays. They’re out there playing newer Final Fantasy games several times over and even making time for FFVII remake.

Given the absence of any shared experience or general principle, the topic becomes purely autobiographical. Not a huge fan of that.

We do really need a Tuesday show idea for tonight, though, so I am very open to other ideas right now :joy:

Tuesday Ideas from the top of my head:

Does the “golden age of gaming” shift between generations?
At what point should you emulate older titles?
Single Player boardgames
Dice and various Dice accessories
Best Controllers to play games with
Unusual Periferials for consoles
Game Genie/ Game Shark
Gaming on Linux, what they need to do for you to consider it
Memory Cards / Saving Game data on other discs
Your experiences in attempting to make games (RPG maker, Unity, prototyping board games, etc)
Organizing physical games

1 Like

This could work. Definitely something that has become a bigger deal recently.

1 Like

It’s one thing to declare an absolute that someone will never ever do a thing in any way ever again as a criteria for quitting, and another to just say someone has effectively stopped, or even intentionally ‘quit’, and no longer engages in even casual or rare participation in an activity, and no longer thinks about it as something they ‘do’. It’s something they ‘did’ in the past.

An example close to me is paintball. It’s a sport that many people ‘quit’ over time either through a slow decline or an intentional ‘quitting’ event. They’ll play it a lot when young, and then they stop as life gets in the way. Sometimes the story is “oh I still have a Tippmann from when I played in high school that I haven’t touched since 2002. But I’m kind of done with it I guess.” and sometimes the story is “Oh I quit a while back. Got a kid, was getting frustrated at events and it was expensive! Decided to quit and sell all my gear. It just wasn’t fun anymore.” And then lastly I occasionally hear “oh man yeah I love paintball! I’ve got dozens of paintball guns! Oh I haven’t been, wow, in about 15 years now. But I still have all my equipment and I plan to go to a game anytime now!”

In my mind all 3 have essentially quit the sport. Whether deliberately, intentionally, or subconsciously. Like if you haven’t been to a game in 2-3 years, that’s still within the window of just “being busy” probably. But if it’s been 10+ years, or you made a conscious move to sell your stuff, that’s basically quitting. Even if you end up going to one or two games as part of some big group activity (such as a corporate event or wedding party), I wouldn’t even consider that 'getting back into it" if you don’t keep going. (And, that doesn’t preclude them ever starting again! Some will quit and then 10 years later find their way back. That doesn’t mean they never quit. They did quit! They just became a participant a second time.)

For video games I can easily think of many examples of people I know who for a time played games somewhat regularly as a kid/young adult, then at some point games were no longer something they did and either soft quit through disinterest: never buying any new stuff and letting their old collection lapse into the attic never to be used again; or at some point they got older and got the idea that ‘gaming was for kids’ and sold all their consoles and games saying they were done with that era in life. Sure they might occasionally end up being given a PS5 controller and told to ‘check these graphics out!’ or might throw in a quarter to play a round of Space Invader at an arcade, maybe even partake in a round of Goldeneye multiplayer at a party where someone busts out the classics. But IMO that doesn’t mean they’re back into gaming. They still quit active participation over 10 years ago.

Now I also agree that it’s such a personal, case by case situation as to the whys; that it’s probably hard to maybe make an interesting podcast about it. But it’s also not such an uncommon or strange thing with notable trending reasons that it couldn’t be.

4 Likes

Video game music

Maybe for Thursdays without a topic handy, have one of you discuss a topic you know much more on and you think the other would genuinely enjoy learning about.

2 Likes

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners :grin:

2 Likes

Starship Troopers
Total Recall
Robocop

Fictional ads.

RaggedCourteousFlamingo-max-1mb

1 Like

So not The FIX Protocol :wink:

2 Likes

As someone who works with the FIX protocol I would enjoy it, but I also feel like FIX is a protocol in name only since just about every counterparty uses customfields in wacky ways.

Has anyone noticed how freedom of speech has become an issue talked about only on the political right? I remember in early Geeknights Rym defending free speech a lot. Has proclivity of lies changed how we think about free speech, or is it that advocating for it make it sound like a dog whistle for abhorrent people these days? Can the left reclaim free speech discussions so the right can’t simply claim it and run off with it?

Don’t be confused. The people on the right are using a different definition of free speech than everyone else in order to push their agenda. They don’t actually believe in free speech in good faith.

Please refer to XKCD 1357

When people on the left talk about defending free speech, this is what they mean. They mean that the actual government shouldn’t restrict or punish anyone just for speech, religion, assembly, etc. For example, public libraries shouldn’t be removing copies of LGBT literature. Black lives matter protests shouldn’t be violently suppressed by the police. If right wing people legitimately believed in real free speech, they would be up in arms when these things happen. Instead, they support these actions, because they don’t actually believe in free speech.

I can assure you, if I saw the police arrest someone for merely printing and distributing a white supremacist leaflet, and not doing anything else, I would be mad about that. The thing is, that isn’t happening. What is happening is that private platforms are banning people from distributing that kind of content, which is fine. What’s also happening is white supremacists are getting arrested for planning and/or executing acts of domestic terrorism, and that’s exactly what is supposed to happen.

When right wing people are banned from private platforms for their vile messaging, that’s not a free speech issue. That’s a free market issue. Private companies use their freedom to decide who can publish what using the service that is their property. Right wing people claim to be in favor of the free market, but here we see them change their mind as soon as the invisible hand of capitalism moves against them.

This all makes perfect sense once you realize that people on the right have only one principle, which is their own self interest. They believe that they should be able to do what they want to do, and nobody can tell them what to do. They also believe that they should be able to tell other people what to do. That’s it. They have no other belief beyond that. Everything they say is simply bad faith nonsense in service of that self-interest. This is why you can’t argue with it, just ban it and ignore it.

The key however, is to understand it, so as to not be swayed by it. Correct your understanding of what free speech actually means.

5 Likes

You should read this long article by Emily Bazelon. It goes over the history of free speech in the US, how the internet is changing things, and how Europe does things differently. It’s very detailed and informative:

2 Likes