Show Ideas and Reminders

Windows eleven.

For all intents and purposes of every day users, Windows 11 is identical to Windows 10 except in two ways.

1. Minor UI changes, like the taskbar.
  2. Microsoft will stop officially supporting Windows 10 before they stop supporting Windows 11.

There is really nothing else to say about it.

BUT

A show on Microsoft Windows is a great idea for a Monday.

1 Like

noodles noodles noodles

I donā€™t know if Rym or Scott has ready any of this series, but I think Bandette would be a good Wednesday show. A teenage thief in Paris, it has inspiration from 60s French cinema, BTAS and a bit of a Cowboy Beebop feel.

Just thinking about classic books and I donā€™t think there has been an episode on Frankenstein. Most folks donā€™t actually know the book well, so might be a fun one.

I read it in school. I think maybe twice.

As both IT professionals and content creators, I think this would make for a good Monday tech showā€¦My Channel Was Deleted Last Night - YouTube

First of all. I hate that Linux Tech Tips guy. Heā€™s not a bad person in any way that I am aware of. He just has a very punchable face. He puts that stupid face in all his thumbnails, and his videos are worse. They are just so annoying. I canā€™t imagine that I could tolerate being in a room with the guy. His voice and mannerisms just make me wish I didnā€™t have eyes or ears.

What happened to his channel is that him, or someone on his team, downloaded and installed a malware like itā€™s still 200X. The malware was able to do serious damage to their channel because they were not following best practices to protect their channel by using accounts with limited permissions using YouTube Studio Roles.

This makes me feel very justified in my dislike for him and his channel, as it is clear evidence that they are perhaps not qualified to be the ones giving out tips regarding tech.

4 Likes

Honestly, valid.

ALMOST bang on. One of his team did precisely that. It was disguised as a sponsorship deal as a zipped package(not terribly unusual), and he didnā€™t check the extension - it was an SRC - before opening what purported to be a PDF. From there, it basically did a session hijacking so they had all their session tokens, and from there, it was all over red rover.

The only part you missed - Limited permissions wouldnā€™t have helped, because it was a spearfish. They went after the head of business development, whose role at the company necessitates access across all the channels. They intentionally went after someone high enough up and in such a role that theyā€™d have universal access, but also someone less likely to be as knowledgeable in tech so they had a better chance to catch them out - not to mention, said guy has been open over the years that heā€™s more of a business guy than a tech guy, even if he is a step above your average rando off the street.

Though, credit to Linus - he actually took responsibility for it, saying that he had failed his employees on this, since he had clearly not been providing enough or refreshing enough on their training regarding these kinds of attacks, so at the end of the day, itā€™s his fault more than his employeeā€™s.

I dunno man, it sounds like youā€™re letting your desire to have your gut feeling and vibes confirmed and validated get in the way of your good sense. You know as well as I do that anyone can make mistakes, and even experts can get taken by people actively out to get them. And when youā€™re talking about organizations, when your number of employees - particularly non-tech employees, like business and ad managers - increases, so does your threat surface.

If my YouTube operation was at the point where I had many employees, Iā€™d be setting up some sort of separate CMS. Nobody would ever actually log into the YouTube channel directly. Instead, they would do everything via the CMS which would integrate with YouTube via the API.

Yes, this guy does bother me to some strangely high degree. Which is why Iā€™m not mentioning him on any podcast, let alone dedicating a podcast to him.

I mean, the dude is throwing around money like crazy lately, so if you want a REALLY lucrative side gig I know who you can pitchā€¦

But no, in all seriousness, most of their youtube operation is everything from writers to editors to Lab staff(their new initiative) and engineers. 99% of them donā€™t have that broad access, like I said, they literally spearfished one of the few people at the company who most likely would have that level of access. At some point, someoneā€™s gotta have the keys to the kingdom.

Of course, thatā€™s not to say itā€™s inevitable, or not their responsibility, that would be dumb. Thereā€™s multiple points of failure that occurred. Just that this wasnā€™t just your average throwing out a net and seeing what you pull in, this was a targeted, focused attack.

And one of the ways they failed wasnā€™t just technological, they failed to train and retrain their people appropriately for their positions and access - for all the technological solutions you could come up with(many Iā€™m sure), I also know that were you in that position of running a big youtube media company like that, you wouldnā€™t slack off on making sure the people who DID need to have the keys to the kingdom were up to date on this shit.

Iā€™m not saying do. Itā€™s your show, Iā€™m not here to dictate content to you, let alone who you should and shouldnā€™t like - and Iā€™ll be honest, Linus IS fucking annoying, even if Iā€™m more okay with it than you are. Iā€™m just filling you in on the 1% you missed, in the process of getting it 99% right.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this would be worth a full Monday show, but immutable operating systems have been gaining some interest it seems.

Probably a good idea for extremely limited applications like maybe a supercomputer or national security operation.

The fundamental question is pretty simple. There are security gains to be had from it being nearly, if perhaps not completely, immune to attacks that modify the OS (rootkits). However, what are the security losses if there is a bug or other security hole that can not be patched?

This is a video of Tom Scott playing the royal game of Ur (one-off the oldest known board games). Looks pretty simplistic, but they mention alternate more complicated rules. Maybe also other old board games or history of games. It reminds me of reading tale of Genji, because it was first too.

Fiona and Cake
Unicorn: Warriors Eternal
Beyond the Infinite 2 Minutes
Bluey
Skibidi Toilet

Anything new and relevantā€¦

Iā€™ll second Bluey, itā€™s a show teaching adults how to parent disguised as a cute kids show.

Episodes to watch:
Magic Xylophone (itā€™s the first ep, it sets a good vibe for the whole show)
Camping
Flatpack
Dance Mode

Maybe just grab a few other eps as well, theyā€™re like 7 minutes long.

I have a 2 year old now, Iā€™ve seen every episode like 10 times, you spend a lot of time thinking about it all when youā€™ve got not much else to do.

2 Likes

Bluey makes me cry when I havenā€™t slept well, and sometimes days I have.

A damn fine show. Not sure if Iā€™d find the initial inclination to watch it without kids.

3 Likes

Review Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched the first half! The Utena ties are undeniable.

1 Like

You guys need to play and then talk about HellDivers 2!