Scam Conventions

Damn I actually went to Colossalcon last year and it was actually a good time. Went to some interesting LGBTQ+ panels. It’s a real shame that it appears to be run by asshats. Would not have guessed that from last year.

UPDATE:
They fired the person who said that and issued a much less stupid apology.

All the alarms are going off now.

1 Like

Woodstock 50 is back.

At least at Fyre Festival 2.0 it won’t be on an island in the middle of nowhere.

1 Like

Just surrounded by a hundred bars, breweries, and wineries!

In the Scam scale this is a light one, but someone fucked up royalty

How about scam malls?

I remember when this place first started being built. It was so long ago I think I was still in college.

This complex has cost billions of its owner’s personal funds and taken more than a decade to partially open.

It has been aided by millions of dollars in infrastructure development and tax breaks and the owners still need to fund their own transportation for it because the public transit sucks.

It is slowly being reclaimed by the wetlands it was built on, exacerbated by climate crisis storms.

It has resorted to the “road map” release structure present only in the most contentiously broken products.

The owners claim it will compete with Disney Land

It’s owned by Canadians.

And they call it the American Dream

Is this performance art?

1 Like

1 Like

Rich people like to build things as a monument for themselves while also getting scammed.

Even better, it’s subject to North Jersey’s ridiculous blue laws. It can’t SELL anything on Sundays.

It can be open, but all its stores have to be closed.

1 Like

I thought that was only Paramus specifically? This is East Rutherford, not Paramus. There are plenty of handegg games there on Sunday selling plenty of booze.

You can sell food and drink. You can’t sell goods. Multiple articles said this place is affected by the same (or similar) blue laws.

They sell merch at the stadium.

They probably have a very specific exemption for that.

The mall definitely can not sell goods on Sundays. I confirmed this.

The mall was able to push the government to get a mountain of tax breaks, but couldn’t push them to be open on Sunday? Lol.

Please let me have millions of dollars: OK!
Please let me be open Sunday: FUCK NO.

Apparently all of Bergen county has blue laws, and then specific municipalities can set stricter ones. Paramus, indeed, is the only one that has a “no merchanting” law for Sunday.

1 Like

The venerable trade of merchanting.

I like to point out absurdities like this when people visit Utah and clutch their proverbial pearls over some of our nonsensical alcohol laws. Yes, we have some that have no rationale based in reality but other places have equally absurd laws - regarding alcohol and otherwise. Hell, NJ isn’t even a deep south fundamentalist religious area so why would they continue to have some antiquated “no selling shit on Sunday” law? Because governments are weird.

Can’t speak for NJ specifically, but a lot of those laws sprung up in colonial states because small towns sometimes didn’t have a church or even town hall, so the mass was held in the pub which also served as the de facto town gathering place.