Random Questions

TvHQ needs a new printer. Must also be able to scan and do printing via USB in addition to wireless. Where should I be looking/what should I be looking for?

Get whatever has the highest rating on Amazon.

Can happiness be achieved without sacrifice?

1 Like

Human sacrifices? No I donā€™t think so. The Blood God demands his tribute.

What kind of stuff do I need to think about for web hosting? Iā€™m really more of just a programmer, but for this new gig I also need to think about some of those IT things. I think Iā€™m going to just prototype things initially on a single virtual machine, but eventually the stack would have a couple layers to it.

Front-end web interface.
Back-end api server.
Database server and whatever other resources.
Possibly spinning up a virtual machine just to do heavy processing when necessary.

Production and development of each, and in an ideal world each of these are unique per customer and weā€™re automatically setting them up/tearing them down.

Should I be looking at Amazon? OVH? Rack space in a data-center? A lot of this wonā€™t really matter for a long while, but I at least want to start thinking about it. At some point weā€™d actually have an IT person or maybe one of the developers will take up that role more, but right now itā€™s pretty much just the elephant in the room. As Rym joked in an episode recently, people say ā€œthe cloudā€ and really all theyā€™re saying is ā€œsomeone elseā€™s machineā€ but they seem to think theyā€™re saying something way more profound than that. I can write code all day, but Iā€™ve always just been handed the server situation (which was usually pretty nasty honestly) in the past.

Use Amazon or Google. Actually keeping track/maintenance of physical machines is more annoying and less reliable and itā€™s worth paying to just not think about hardware.

1 Like

I have this pot that confounds me. Its a fairly deep steel sauce pot with a copper bottom like you get in a cheap set from a department store. It does not boil water unless you put a tight lid on it. I could put it over the biggest burner on full blast and it will just reach a simmer. I think it is haunted or something. Anyone have a physics explanation for this?

I would like to see a video of this pot that never boils. Any chance of that happening?

1 Like

Live stream it!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/HbJeK4R85nU

The pot may be allowing the water to evaporate enough to cool itself so that it never reaches a high enough temperature to achieve a full boil unless the pot is covered. Just a guess.

Iā€™m new to makeup. Femme people of the Forum, which brands should I avoid and which should I prefer? Also, do we have a beauty thread? I thought we did but I couldnā€™t find it.

How do people clean their ears?

My doctor is constantly telling me that Q-Tips are terrible evil things that I shouldnā€™t use, and that opinion seems to be held by doctors in general. But I hate having a lot of wax build-up in my ears. I think itā€™s gross and especially when Iā€™m out in public, I can get self-conscious about ear wax.

What do other people do to get rid of wax build-up?

Apparently youā€™re supposed to use ear cleaner thatā€™s basically hydrogen peroxide if I remember right. It goes in your ear and you let it foam up and dissolve the wax then let it drain out and the dissolved wax goes with.

1 Like

Canā€™t say this works for everyone since people have different levels of wax, so on and so forthā€¦ But what I do is after I shower I just take a piece of toilet paper and dig it out with my index finger. It doesnā€™t actually get out any of the wax in the ear, which is fine because youā€™re not supposed to remove it, but it removes most of the visible wax.

Another option, though Iā€™ve never done it, is use earplugs to kind of scrape it out. Similar to a Q-Tip but safer since they canā€™t go that far in.

1 Like

Warm water is all I use typically. Ear wax loosens up at a relatively low temperature.

1 Like

I tried switching over from Q-Tips to just using a tissue or a piece of toilet paper and my finger, but it seems like that second method isnā€™t nearly as effective.

I might have to try the hydrogen peroxide method. Iā€™ve never heard of that before.

In general, I hate the feeling of water in my ears, so Iā€™m reluctant to put liquid in my ears.

Iā€™m the same, I hate water in my ears because they donā€™t drain very well so it tends to get stuck for hours. Also not sure if you should use straight peroxide so check up on that, but there are products specifically for this.

1 Like

If foam earplugs donā€™t stick way into your ear youā€™re using them wrong. That said they really do get all kinds of nasty gunk out.

I donā€™t do anything at all. Ears just always stay clean on their own.

4 Likes