Random Questions

Thanks! I’ll take a look at the video on my lunch break. I’m in the same boat, if I get a kill or two in a round it’s a good round. I just noticed a pattern in certain types of firefights and wondered if I was doing something wrong. Another thing you just mentioned might help me too, watching my positioning. I should take a look at how I am positioning myself because I never -really- thought about it, just looked for cover and concealment but didn’t consider a shooting position.

1 Like

I didn’t think about it, but I did pick up some of the way I play and think about the game from ARMA - the game PUBG was originally a mod for.

So, here’s a video that’ll tell you a lot more about positioning and movement than most PUBG guides will tell you, from the excellent Dslyecxi of ShackTac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3DyRtMkRNI

2 Likes

So. Now that I am seriously considering law school, I am looking into taking the LSAT. I know there’s some lawyers on here so any tips on how to study for it?

It’s expensive, but I HIGHLY recommend taking a LSAT prep course from Princeton Review, or any of the other prep courses out there.

Sure, you can just buy a review book online or from a book store, but at least for me, it was much more helpful to a) have an instructor, so I wasn’t just reading, I was also listening to the lessons, etc, and b) it forced me to be accountable to the instructor and do my daily homework and take the weekly practice tests.

If you can study well on your own, and have the discipline to do the work and practice tests without an outside source holding you accountable, you might not need to go to a prep course, but I still think it’s worth it.

Additionally, like most standardized tests, the LSAT isn’t just a test, it’s a game, with a bunch of hidden rules. If you know the hidden rules of the test ahead of time, you can take advantage of them and do better. Most of the prep courses are VERY familiar with the intricacies of the LSAT and will help you game the test.

Overall, and this is just me speaking from personal experience, my LSAT scores went up a huge amount between when I took the LSAT the first time, just studying on my own, and the second time, when I went to a Princeton Review course.

Plus, the higher your LSAT score, the better the law school you can get into and the more money you might get offered.

Edited to add:

Another benefit from taking a prep course is that your practice tests are analyzed pretty deeply and they really break down which types of questions you got right and which you didn’t. As a result, while the course overall helped me, knowing what I was good at (and could focus less on) and what I wasn’t as good at and why (and could focus more on) was a HUGE help.

I did a quick Google of LSAT courses and the sticker shock is real. I’m in the same boat though that I do best studying with someone to be accountable to.

If you think LSAT prep courses are expensive, you should check out how much Bar Exam prep courses cost. Talk about sticker shock…

2 Likes

I second using a LSAT prep course. The one I went with was 7sage, which is purely online and less expensive than other companies. Even if you decide not to go with 7sage for the full course, the program offers its explanations for every logic game publicly released online for free.

2 Likes

I can imagine. Well I’ll see if I can scrape up two grand and do my best by myself in the meantime. I want to get through this one year program with straight A’s first. My paralegal studies professor is a lawyer and said not to spend a ton of money on the newest prep books and get them from Goodwill or the library.

It is true the safest route is probably the tried and true route, and you should go that way if at all possible. However, there are plenty of people who have passed the LSAT and even the Bar purely with intense self-directed study. It takes a special kind of person, and I’m sure a ton of work, but it isn’t impossible.

Also, don’t overlook Internet piracy as an option. Yarrr! This is a case where I really see no moral objection. You aren’t pirating some movie for entertainment. Education should be free for all.

I’d recommend taking a practice test and see how you do. Just make sure that if you try a practice test, take the test under the closest “simulated” conditions as the real LSAT as possible. Don’t just take one section and stop. Take the entire 6-hour or whatever test in one sitting. If you score well enough, getting by with some older prep books might be ok.

But like I wrote above, the two biggest advantages for taking a prep course, at least for me, were the accountability and the data analytics they were able to provide.

Another Edited to add:

Taking a prep course also makes it MUCH easier to take a practice test under realistic simulated conditions than taking it on your own, since most prep courses are taught in schools and the instructor acts as the proctor. Even if it’s a practice test, there’s nothing like the fear and adrenaline rush of someone telling you “15 minutes remaining…”

I’m already having SAT flash backs. I think as a first step I’ll pirate a practice test and take it.

2 Likes

The LSAC (Law School Admissions Council), the company that runs and administers the LSAT, has the June 2007 LSAT online for you to practice on.

The instructions can be found here:
https://www.lsac.org/free-sample-test/

The test in its entirety can be found here:

Are they just logic puzzle after logic puzzle?

Oh nice thats perfect! Thanks!

Sure thing, glad to help. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Whoah. I thought that it would have questions that actually require actual legal knowledge. This practice test is a cakewalk. The hardest part is probably just the time limits and reading speed since the questions and answers are quite verbose. It’s also 100% multiple choice!

After reading about 2-3 sample questions from each section, I feel pretty confident I can get at least a passing score on this thing with absolutely no preparation whatsoever. I’m really damn curious now. If I get some free time, maybe I’ll try it.

I think the key to a good score is not studying, but strategy. For that, I need to see how the scoring works. I remember when I took the SAT, it was better to have a non-answer than a wrong answer, and that changed the strategy to a great degree. They made it that way so if you just randomly guessed on questions you weren’t sure of, you would almost certainly lower your score.

Definitely think twice before spending money on some preparation. Be sure that it will actually help you before you shell out so much dough. I don’t know how good you are at standardized tests, logic, or reading comprehension. If you are as good as I am, you can probably crush this with a small amount of practice and some strategy.

Having read that. Like… Yeah this is all time limit. The questions are actually trivial if you have time to completely puzzle them out.

1 Like

Yeah, the LSAT is pretty much all about time management. If given enough time, the test isn’t that hard, but like you pointed out, there are a lot of questions with a lot of text to read.

It’s because of that that the prep courses are actually more helpful, not less. For example, one of the tricks the LSAT likes to pull is to have two answers that are the complete opposite of each other, two answers that are somewhat similar to each other, and one answer that is completely different. If you know that ahead of time, it’s easier to eliminate question choices. Additionally, unlike other tests, on the LSAT, you definitely want to answer every question, even if you’re just guessing or filling in “C” for every answer. As a result, if you can eliminate two or three choices, you should definitely guess on an answer.

Another trick the prep course taught me was to read the question before you read the passage, so you know what you’re looking for. There was also a trick that for long passages, you should just read the first two sentences to get a sense of what the passage’s subject was about, and the final sentence, to read the conclusion. Once you do that, you can probably answer a couple questions and then go back and skim for specific words.

Like I wrote above, the LSAT is more a game than a test. Prep courses help you figure out the rules to the game so you’re more efficient with your time and better at the game. I forget the exact statistics, but I remember Princeton Review saying that if you can finish a section early, and go back over your answers, you’re much more likely to get them right than if you’re constantly running out of time.

Thanks for reminding me that standardized tests are bullshit, and are only good at determining whether someone is good at taking standardized tests.

3 Likes

That is so true.

The Bar Exam is a different beast entirely though. On THAT test, you better know the law… all of it.

1 Like