Random Questions

I hate to say it, but if I can’t stream it on Amazon/Spotify/etc… and don’t already have it, I rarely listen to it.

I had a weird realization tonight about the commonality of punk bands having multiple vocalists. Off the top of my head the following bands have more than one member who regularly take lead vocal duty:

• Rancid
  • Dropkick Murphys
  • Less Than Jake
  • Blink-182
  • The Lawrence Arms
  • The Menzingers
  • Alkaline Trio
  • RVIVR
  • Teenage Bottlerocket

I am sure there are far more than just these even among the more popular bands around. The question though is this, as I suspect, more common than in other genres or not? At least from my occasional forays into metal and other rock genres not to my experience, and certainly not as far as the stuff that plays on the radio.

Hip-Hop is of course a different matter as the only “instrument” for the most part in Hip-Hop is the voice and thus a lot of songs are based around interplay of multiple rappers with rappers either forming a regular group (i.e. The Beastie Boys) or songs being credited as "[Rapper A] feat. [Rappers B, C & D].

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Pop music. If there is a group, they probably all sing some amount.

Pop music is largely built around a single artist who are usually solely credited as such. Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Justin Timberlake, etc. etc. aren’t members of a band, but instead they are listed as the sole artist of a given song.

The exception is of course boy bands and idol groups and so where everybody is a singer and nobody is a musician playing an instrument. But maybe I am defining myself into a corner here.

The Band

15 characters are a carnival.

First example that comes to mind.

Can’t believe I didn’t think of the slew of doo wop groups. The Drifters, The Coasters, The Ronnettes, etc

Two of my favorite bands of all time do this. The Grateful Dead had both Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir. Occasionally other members of the band had specific songs they would sing. Toward the end of their run, when Jerry wasn’t feeling up to singing much or had lost his voice, Bob would handle more songs.
The Beach Boys, of course, often relied on multiple people singing and would have certain songs that people other than Brian Wilson would take the lead on.
At times, when Jason Newsted was with Metallica, he would sing Search and Destroy.
Prince would have duets with members of his bands and bring in guest rappers for tracks, but that’s a different thing.
I’m sure there are others I’m missing even in my somewhat limited musical experience, but that’s what comes to mind right now.

Everyone in Queen sings.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, by U2, is usually sung by guitarist The Edge, instead of lead singer Bono, during live performances, despite Bono being the singer on the recorded version.

Not Freddy anymore.

off the top of my head, the Barenaked Ladies have two guys who switch off singing duties all the time, and 311 has one guy who raps and the other guy who does the deep voiced hooks on their singles.

That’s not necessary.

More to the point, John Deacon, the bass player, famously didn’t sing. The other three would all contribute backing vocals, but he never did. I once saw a documentary about Bohemian Rhapsody and it was quite amusing how quickly they moved past how he didn’t take part, despite appearing to in the music video.

Dr Teeth and The Electric Mayhem. Even Animal sings.

Folks from/living outside the US, what do parents tell children who ask “Where do babies come from?” In the US, storks bring them. My students have told me that in China, they say “We found you in the trash/on the street.” What do they say in your neck of the woods?

Ugh, that reminds me that I need to file paperwork for that. I’m pretty sure they changed their jure sanguinis rules to allow matrilineal descent sometime in the 1990s though (which is still way behind on the times).

Also, surprised you didn’t mention Benito Mussolini’s granddaughter.

What’s a word like ‘schadenfreude’, but when another person has had something good happen to them? :sweat_smile:

Compersion?

On a scale of 1-10 how hard would it be to have a gopro, or something like it, send real time video to a VR head set?