Random Questions

Can’t believe I didn’t think of the slew of doo wop groups. The Drifters, The Coasters, The Ronnettes, etc

Two of my favorite bands of all time do this. The Grateful Dead had both Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir. Occasionally other members of the band had specific songs they would sing. Toward the end of their run, when Jerry wasn’t feeling up to singing much or had lost his voice, Bob would handle more songs.
The Beach Boys, of course, often relied on multiple people singing and would have certain songs that people other than Brian Wilson would take the lead on.
At times, when Jason Newsted was with Metallica, he would sing Search and Destroy.
Prince would have duets with members of his bands and bring in guest rappers for tracks, but that’s a different thing.
I’m sure there are others I’m missing even in my somewhat limited musical experience, but that’s what comes to mind right now.

Everyone in Queen sings.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, by U2, is usually sung by guitarist The Edge, instead of lead singer Bono, during live performances, despite Bono being the singer on the recorded version.

Not Freddy anymore.

1 Like

off the top of my head, the Barenaked Ladies have two guys who switch off singing duties all the time, and 311 has one guy who raps and the other guy who does the deep voiced hooks on their singles.

That’s not necessary.

2 Likes

More to the point, John Deacon, the bass player, famously didn’t sing. The other three would all contribute backing vocals, but he never did. I once saw a documentary about Bohemian Rhapsody and it was quite amusing how quickly they moved past how he didn’t take part, despite appearing to in the music video.

Dr Teeth and The Electric Mayhem. Even Animal sings.

3 Likes

Folks from/living outside the US, what do parents tell children who ask “Where do babies come from?” In the US, storks bring them. My students have told me that in China, they say “We found you in the trash/on the street.” What do they say in your neck of the woods?

Ugh, that reminds me that I need to file paperwork for that. I’m pretty sure they changed their jure sanguinis rules to allow matrilineal descent sometime in the 1990s though (which is still way behind on the times).

Also, surprised you didn’t mention Benito Mussolini’s granddaughter.

What’s a word like ‘schadenfreude’, but when another person has had something good happen to them? :sweat_smile:

Compersion?

1 Like

On a scale of 1-10 how hard would it be to have a gopro, or something like it, send real time video to a VR head set?

It Is possible to write software to do this. I don’t know what would happen if you connected the HDMI output from a gopro to the HDMI input on a VR headset. Probably not good. I don’t know of software that exists. If you recorded VR GoPro footage, you will probably have a much easier time.

It’s very hard. You have to send it with extremely low latency or it’s a big problem for the user in most cases (e.g., if it’s interactive in any way).

If you want to just send a sphere of video for someone to watch passively, look into how that kind of video is encoded today. It’s pretty straightforward.

What do you want to do with the video? Why does it have to be live?

Bugger well there goes that smart idea.

We were going to build full head sets, that had the eyes covered in most designs genius I know, and liked the idea of having a camera mounted in the centre of the face part.

edit; I should say we are not tech people in the slightest. This was the first idea that we had with out any real digging. The other option was just tinted lenses that would be easier but also a bit dull.

Sugar puffs or Frosties?

Frosties hands down.

Humidifiers? One room? Whole home? Fancy things? This is one of those topics I’ve never had to consider.