Random Questions

One room, maybe the one with the plants in.

Anyone have any suggestions how to make a bike lock not freeze? My sister has to leave her bike outside during class and it has frozen shut in the past.

WD-40 sounds like it might help?

Pretty much any auto parts store in the north would sell lock de-icer.

If you can cover it with something airtight it can keep out the moist air that freezes but thatā€™s not always practical. Carrying a little bottle of lock deicer is probably the best bet. The company I used to work for supplied it to Loweā€™s stores, you can find it by the desk where they copy keys.

Roughly speaking, what does it take to mic like 4 people at a time for an Extra Life stream? Can you cover a couch with a single mic that doesnā€™t cost a bajillion dollars? The quality wouldnā€™t have to be great but Iā€™d like it not to be painful.

Iā€™m speaking from a certain amount of experience here. Weā€™ve been recording our RPG sessions for about four years now. We did use a single phone to record for the longest time. It was okay, but not great.

The other guy who runs and I just went in on this set-up, which heā€™d seen recommended a bunch of places because we kept talking about becoming yet another actual play cast.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5F3HKC

I swore someone asked about how to do a charity livestream hereā€¦

https://youtu.be/mgb0y2Y3754

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™ve upgraded, but I know the OSW crew used a Blue Yeti microphone. That worked pretty well for them.

Searched for Comic(s) but cannot seem to find the main thread. Got my old iPad fixed and chucked Comic Zeal on, hoping to trawl through a thread with some good recommendations. Copied Monstress and Shade, the changing Girl over and holy crap, what have I been missing these last 2-3 years?? Can I have a link to the main comic thread please? Ta.

Whatā€™s going on here?
https://www.faa.gov/data_research/passengers_cargo/unruly_passengers/

It looks like something fell off a cliff in 2005-2006. The previous 8 years were all north of 200, usually closer to 300. Then weā€™re in the 100ā€™s ever since. Was everyone suddenly rulier starting in 2005?

If I had to guess, they either changed how they measure or how they handle unruly passengers. Iā€™m leaning towards the way they measure but thatā€™s just based on how sudden a shift it was.

In 20-30 years time, will wearing a MAGA hat in a year book photo be as disqualifying for a politician as being in black face is now?

1 Like

One can only hope so.

6 Likes

I always thought blackface was something more from the 20s, not medical school students in the 80s.

Itā€™s almost certainly still a thing literally today.

Minstrel shows and vaudeville in blackface is definitely dead. Doing blackface outside of that context is still a thing. I think many times it comes out of ignorance rather than malice but is nevertheless still reprehensible. I think I told this story before but when I was in fourth or fifth grade in the mid 90ā€™s there was a kid who dressed up as Dennis Rodman for halloween. He wore a rainbow clown wig, a Chicago Bulls jersey and basketball shorts, air jordans, faux gold chains, big sunglassesā€¦ and had also painted his face brown with makeup. Nobody said anything because the entire school was white.

On the one hand, dressing up as Dennis Rodman at his peak fame for Halloween is hilarious, whether white or black (the guy is a nut no matter his race).

On the other hand, incorporating blackface in the costume is taking it way too far.

At my high school, which was also mostly white (I can count the number of black kids we had on one hand, and the number is even less if you discount Cape Verdeans, but thatā€™s another topic), the band often did some light hazing of freshman by making them dress up as Homey the Clown, a character from the TV show In Living Color that was popular back then. It didnā€™t matter what race they were, someone would wear the clown wig and pretend to be ā€œHomey.ā€ However, it never went beyond just wearing the wig and red clown nose.