Random Questions

I have no idea. I just want to minimize their input into our democracy. Their ideas are bad, and they are directly harmful.

3 Likes

I used to work just north of there in Carle Place. Never again.

And this goes back to Pilitusā€™s and Naotaā€™s points. Itā€™s a wonderful, pie-in-the-sky idea that youā€™re proposing, but there is no realistic way of accomplishing this.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible. This is why I have non-US options for my later life.

The first time I saw a map like this some mad scales fell from my eyes. I thought growing up that New York state was a generally liberal state. Most people I knew were Democrats. The Democratic party machine was alive and well in Albany and Schenectady. For example, my grandmother was a lifelong registered Democrat and once when a tree fell on her private property it was the city power authority who came to remove it, which was technically illegal but arrangements were made. Anyway, I grew up in that blue square around Albany and assumed thatā€™s how the whole state was for a long time. When I moved to Virginia I was appalled by the backward conservatism, blissfully unaware it has been in my back yard my whole life.

1 Like

I can understand that. Itā€™s why I also keep my EU dual-citizenship handy, just in case.

The problem with those maps is that they convey a lot of LAND, but arenā€™t scaled to the population.

Iā€™m actually in the process of getting my third citizenshipā€¦ to a even more backwards country than the US. I didnā€™t roll exceedingly well on the ā€œnot nazis in modern timesā€ genetics dice. Thankfully itā€™s in the EU so I guess I can work in places not that country.

Fun fact, Italy, the country Iā€™m currently filing with, has its citizenship pass exclusively through the paternal line. The fact that my mother was born there does nothing for me as I wasnā€™t. Talk about patriarchy, itā€™s likeā€¦ a literal and on paper patriarchy.

Also their deputy prime minister is a literal nazi.

I just had a thought about representation and Congress. What if the number of Members of Congress per state stayed the same but were all at large instead of by district and based on top x number of votes parliamentary style? Gerrymandering solved.

Isnā€™t that literally the system we fought against in the 1700s?

Yeah but like it was said earlier, itā€™s not the 18th century and weā€™re not a mercantile colony, and we were shut out of that system in the first place.

Well when the icecaps melt and the tide comes in Iā€™m not so sure which oligarch will decide to rule the city of New Yorklantis, but youā€™ll have plenty of opportunities to restructure the new layer of paint on your new government for your liege lord. \s

On a slightly tangential topic, went to the bakery today to get bagels for the office and their oven was down. People had different reactions, some people huffing and buying as much as they can, others cutting their order down or choosing to go without (me) to give others the opportunity. When things break down (natural disaster or otherwise) and the bread lines start Iā€™ll probably just starve and thatā€™s fine by me.

Anybody have suggestions where to buy music digitally that isnā€™t Apple or Amazon? I am now using Bandcamp, but unfortunately some bands I am looking for arenā€™t available there.

1 Like

Bandcamp is the best spot but I understand the frustration. Another good spot is Loudr but again they are limited with their selection. Lately I have been flipping CDs or buying those USB sticks with music on it at shows.

I hate to say it, but if I canā€™t stream it on Amazon/Spotify/etcā€¦ and donā€™t already have it, I rarely listen to it.

I had a weird realization tonight about the commonality of punk bands having multiple vocalists. Off the top of my head the following bands have more than one member who regularly take lead vocal duty:

• Rancid
  • Dropkick Murphys
  • Less Than Jake
  • Blink-182
  • The Lawrence Arms
  • The Menzingers
  • Alkaline Trio
  • RVIVR
  • Teenage Bottlerocket

I am sure there are far more than just these even among the more popular bands around. The question though is this, as I suspect, more common than in other genres or not? At least from my occasional forays into metal and other rock genres not to my experience, and certainly not as far as the stuff that plays on the radio.

Hip-Hop is of course a different matter as the only ā€œinstrumentā€ for the most part in Hip-Hop is the voice and thus a lot of songs are based around interplay of multiple rappers with rappers either forming a regular group (i.e. The Beastie Boys) or songs being credited as "[Rapper A] feat. [Rappers B, C & D].

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Pop music. If there is a group, they probably all sing some amount.

Pop music is largely built around a single artist who are usually solely credited as such. Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Justin Timberlake, etc. etc. arenā€™t members of a band, but instead they are listed as the sole artist of a given song.

The exception is of course boy bands and idol groups and so where everybody is a singer and nobody is a musician playing an instrument. But maybe I am defining myself into a corner here.

The Band

15 characters are a carnival.

First example that comes to mind.