Random Questions

The older stories are in a ton (we’re talking dozens) of novels and the newer stuff is told in long articles on magics website. I’m not one for life but it’s out there if you want to find it.

You can glean the overarching gist of the story from the cards. Nowadays the most important moments of the story are also explicitly marked with a watermark and noted as “Story Spotlight” in the meta-information on the bottom of the cards, e.g. this card which depicts the the planeswalker Nissa Revane leaving the Gatewatch.

WOTC also releases a number of short stories on their website which showcase far closer details of the story. This is by far the best avenue to keep up with the story.

Before that WOTC released several novels for their stories. There are also a number of comics that WOTC released with story elements which are part of the canon.

Cool! Thanks for explaining all this. I don’t have much interest in Magic’s story, I was just surprised that it had one.

I know Legend of the Five Rings gets a lot of attention because the game’s storyline evolves and changes, which impacts the cards, but I didn’t know that other games did this as well.

One thing I forgot: WOTC nowadays also releases artbooks which focus on a plane, explain the environment, its inhabitants, their traditions and habits, etc. but also explains the story in overarching terms, though they do not print the short stories within them. However, these books are great for the artwork and to learn about the really extraordinary worldbuilding that goes into each of their planes.

WOTC puts more care and effort into parts of the game that mean nothing to me than most board game designers put into their actual gameplay.

The most fascinating thing is that its someone’s job to do all this. They have a full time job and pull a salary just to write the story of M:tG.

Not “somone”, a whole team of five or so people work on this as their job, though they also do a shit-ton of worldbuilding for multiple worlds a year. Going by product release year (worldbuilding of course happens like 2 to 5 years in advance for each set), for 2017 they did two whole, fully fleshed out new planes in Amokhet and Ixalan, as well as a comedy-inspired world called Bablovia for the non-canon joke set Unstable. While this year is focused on returning to old favorite planes with Dominaria and Ravnica later this year (though they’ve also done revisions on for example the outfits of the guilds of Ravnica), a multi-player focused set for another non-canon product which releases in two weeks is also set on a before unseen plane called Kylem.

These guys put in work.

Seems like a pretty cool job to have.

I love the MtG lore even if I am a bit rusty on its specifics (Like why do I remember Ravnica as biopunk-ish? Was it just the one guild that was like that?) I love how the game works and how people build and play with mechanical combinations to create interesting strategies. I just hate. Hate. HATE. How it is pay to win. I know there are things like pauper but it seems a much less popular form IRL than standard or other formats. Like none of the game shops near me run pauper. I do however quite enjoy draft. I feel like its a really pure form of the game, having to make your strategies and build on the fly and everyone is on a completely even footing.

I totally get that, I’m just completely against the random pack economic model. The play to win thing bugs me as well. That’s why I vastly prefer Fantasy Flight Games Living Card Game model.

I remember quite a few times when I was in my old boardgame store playing a game with friends and overhearing some of the Magic players talking. The way they talked about the packs they bought… how they had made their money back by pulling a good card, like it was a financial investment or something, or how it was common practice to “drop” in a tournament after they were eliminated from winning anything, completely turned me off.

The goal shouldn’t be to get lucky and “make your money back” by pulling a rare card. And don’t just quit a tournament just because you can’t win a prize anymore. It’s a game… have fun.

The LCG model not only solves the “play to win” problem, but it seems to attract a different type of player than Magic or Pokemon or Yugi-oh. At the Netrunner, Star Wars, and Game of Thrones tournaments I’ve participated in and watched, the players just seem more interested in having fun than just winning for the prizes.

All that stuff about making your money back and dropping out of tournaments and all that turns me off too, and a large portion of the playerbase are a turn off too. The way my wife was treated at a local shop by many of the patrons turned her completely off a game she had just started playing and enjoying. Its honestly why I have fallen off too.

The other problem, is that for me the conceit of MtG is so much more appealing as a game than the games you mentioned. This is why I am not all that interested in most board games, if I am honest. If I find the conceit unappealing I’m completely uninterested even if it is interesting mechanically.

Same. It’s why I preferred EDH/Commander over the tournament formats back when I still played, and why my only regret when I sold off my collection was that I didn’t keep my EDH decks.

Probably thinking of these guys.

Magic is much, much more pay to compete than pay to win. You need good cards to win a tournament but you won’t get anywhere without honed skills. There’s a reason that the same names pop up in the top eights of both constructed and limited Grand Prixs. A strong player will honestly crush you way more often in limited where they have more decisions to make better in the drafting portion and more time in game to leverage their skills against you. I once broke in a friend playing weekly two player Peasant Cube Grid Draft and he didn’t win a match for the first four months.

Get Admin from Da Share Z0ne to do it.

Mothafuckin Geek Nights

Does buying a English translated manga in the United States have any affect on if the Japanese publisher will continue the manga?

With Kadokawa and other publishers entering the western market directly instead of licensing titles I think that there’s a good chance that may be the case these days.

Even if it doesn’t, it helps the licensing publishers make the decision to keep licensing it. For example, Over Rev!'s official english translation only goes up to about chapter 20 or so, because the publisher just decided it was too expensive to license for the sales they were getting, even though the Manga was quite popular in Japan, had a complete run, that ended right when the author wanted it to.

What are the best CBZ viewers for Android and Linux?