Random Questions

Still need dead tree birth certificates and passports and social security cards. Most things are fine as scanned documents but some stuff you have to keep around.

I keep mine in a regular old drawer. If they are destroyed, I can get new ones. It may be annoying and difficult, but it won’t be impossible. Not the end of the world.

Yeah that’s true, maybe I should be looking for a scanner. To be honest some of these things are probably found digitally already but our mortgage is like 60+ pages and I’m not gonna scan all that.

Maybe look for a scanner with a feeder instead of one with only a flatbed.

I saw some Jesus-y types protesting… something on a street corner today, not even sure what they were on about but it got me thinking. Why do evangelical christians care so damn much about how everyone else lives? If we’re all sinful heathens by their standards and going to hell anyway why are they so keen to point it out all the time? They’ve got theirs as far as they believe why bother the rest of us and try to shit up the government and so on?

The answer is in their name. Evangelical Christians are required to EVANGELIZE and try to convert everyone to Christianity.

I can’t speak to the majority of evangelicals, though I think JAbrams has got ya there. But at one point in my past I became fascinated with why the westboro baptist church were such complete human garbage.

In their specific case, their particular brand/interpretation/whatever of bible-ism basically states that the only people that go to heaven are the people who behave like they do. It’s very chicken and egg. If you’re one of god’s chosen, you go around with signs telling everyone how shit they are, if you aren’t doing that, then you aren’t one of god’s chosen and therefore do not pass go and collect $200.

It’s pretty shitty to be honest.

Still doesn’t really explain it though. Isn’t part of the belief that you ACTUALLY have to believe and SAY you believe? Just because you change laws or otherwise force me to act like you doesn’t make me actually believe what you do.

True, but if you change the laws and force people to act a certain way, it’s easier to get them to act the way you want, rather than “sin.” It’s a step in the process.

Think about it this way: To the Evangelicals, going to heaven requires two things (I’m oversimplifying it, but go with me here): Believe X and Don’t Do Y. If they can make Y illegal, then they’re halfway there.

It’s really that simple…?

There’s also the whole X is an affront to God kind of thinking. I mean if a certain thing is cosmically bad it makes some amount of sense to try to reduce the instances of that thing even if you aren’t personally doing it.

Oh like, “you allowed XYZ sinful stuff to go on therefore you’re complicit” kind of thinking?

Back in college, I took a class on religious fundamentalism. As part of the class, we had speakers come in to talk to us about their religions. It was actually pretty cool.

The thing you have to realize, which is hard for most other people, is that Evangelicals believe in a literal Hell. There is a Hell, with Satan and demons and suffering and if you don’t do what they do, you’re going to burn there for all eternity. I still remember the confidence and how sure our speaker was when he talked about all this. It was both a little impressive and a little freaky.

He told the class, and it’s been a while so I’m trying to remember the exact analogy, but he told us that if you knew, with 100% certainty, that if you went through the doorway out of class, a murderer was waiting for you on the other side to kill you, don’t you have a responsibility to do pretty much ANYTHING to try and prevent people from going through that door? That’s how Evangelicals feel.

They know, with 100% certainty, that if people don’t believe what they do, act the way they do, they will go to Hell. Not some metaphorical analogy of hell, but literal fire and brimstone HELL. You, me, everyone. As a result, one of the major tenets of their faith is to preach to try and save the rest of us.

I remember specifically asking the guy a hypothetical question: If there was a baby, who was born in some cut-off-from-civilization Amazon rain forest tribe, who never had the opportunity to even hear about Jesus, let alone, convert, and that baby died, would that baby go to Hell? And he answered immediately and unequivocally YES.

That’s the type of people these are. Their faith is something, that as rational people, we can’t even comprehend.

2 Likes

This is some shit I tell you what. And it’s stuff like that that always brings me to what’s God’s end goal here? What is the point of all of this?

Growing up being taught that hell was real is the one thing I resented most about my childhood, and the thing I resented most about my parents. It was a very hard conversation to have with my father years later, conveying just how fucked up it made me for many years. It led to all kinds of weird situations at church, where the leaders held almost total control over people, all based on exploiting their fear of ending up in hell.

3 Likes

I sort of love how silly some of that is. Maybe you have a responsibility to walk through the door first then?

2 Likes

Or tell everyone to grab chairs and broomsticks or whatever and bumrush the murderer and beat the shit out of them?

1 Like

Thus a fundamental difference in how people approach problems.

I’d doubt anyone’s claim that there was a murderer outside the door. Now, if someone staggered back through the door and fell over dead with a knife in them, I would doubt this significantly less.

If someone went through the door, I’d text them to see if they were OK.

But that’s due to a deep and healthy incredulity toward the statements of others in almost all contexts.

3 Likes

I think @PrinceRobot and I were on the assumption that we were in fact 100% certain for whatever reason, already past the totally reasonable doubting. Maybe PrinceRobot was the one who went first and got stabbed?:yum:

1 Like

I notice that none of your reactions involves you going outside to check :-p