Random Questions

Short term and/or Long term disability insurance. Worth it?

It is open enrollment at work. I was thinking of just keeping everything the same, but I noticed that I’m paying about $35/month each for STD and LTD. I remember adding them a few years ago, but I don’t remember them being that much money. Should I keep them or not?

I have both. I feel like it’s worth it.

Fuck yes keep it. What if you get hit by a bus?

AFAIK there is no base amount. I either pay for it, or get nothing.

I was thinking this. I was also thinking, what if I DON’T get hit by a bus? I’m out like, $850. I haven’t been hit by a bus yet, so…

I mean, I’m sure that if you asked, Rym would be willing to break into your apartment wearing a ski mask and break your hands with a lead pipe so that you can make use of the disability insurance.

1 Like

My company pays for my LTD, and STD pays out on a lot of stuff (at least, mine does). The way I figure, what would you buy with the $70 extra a month that’s more valuable to you than the coverage you’re going to get if you’re unable to work for six weeks to a year? You probably have good savings, so it may actually be worth it to drop them, cus you’re a pretty healthy guy. I’m a wreck, so I’m maxed out on both.

A nice percentage of my salary in the case I am unable to work and my work stops paying me.

I get something like 60% salary for LTD if it occurs. I pay $12/mo.

I could pay more for more, but that % seems like enough.

60% maxes out my LTD, but I don’t pay a red dime for it, so IDGAF.

And between short term and hospital indemity I’m pretty safe from accidents.

I pay a few dollars a month for a 2x multiplier on my free life insurance as well.

If I had dependants or was married, I’d probably do that, but right now the only person who depends on my salary is me, Naviant, and Sallie Mae, so…

Mattresses, at least good ones, are the most comfortable surfaces to lay or sit upon.

Then why do chairs and couches and other things have boring cushions? Why shouldn’t they just be smaller mattresses?

Tradeoff between material thickness and levels of comfort. Thinner materials, less cushioning.

Got into a stupid internet argument about whether AR must include a camera/visual component or not. I think intuitively AR could be just about anything, audio, visual, smell, even just location based gps data.

Random reference I found on the subject.

Anyone here have any thoughts they want to throw at that topic?

I agree that it can can be anything you could consume: visual, audio, smell, touch, taste, etc. To argue only sighted people can experience AR is asinine.

Does anybody know how to get calibre to format books so that there isn’t spaces every other line or the text is the size for ants?

With epub, it’s literally a zip file of html that you can edit to make changes.

I tried that but for some reason the changes don’t stick. I either end up with a strange spacing every two lines or minute text, despite changing the basic text size.

Is there a general opinion in the trans community on whether trans women compete in men’s or women’s sports leagues? It’s a topic I see pop up from time to time but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a trans person weigh in.

I have an example for you.

http://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/737895-complete-nwhl-transgender-policy-announced

If you can play, you can play. No matter what someone’s gender is, they should always be eligible to play in one league or the other. If a person is somehow ineligible for both simultaneously, that’s a problem that needs to be fixed. Once it is determined which league someone is eligible for, they should make, or not make, a team based on the same meritocracy that applies to all athletes.

Do not ask me what criteria to use to decide which person goes in which league, because I could not be less qualified to answer that.