Random Comments

What does Vince McMahon like?

Nah, you totally could learn Japanese by just watching anime… if you were an artificial superintelligence, that is.

I haven’t really encountered the sand of which you speak, but I guess it doesn’t surprise me since people expecting things to be easy and getting disappointed / giving up when they aren’t is quite a common phenomenon.

Pretty much yeah. A friend of mine suggested asking them to learn Aramaic online and report back.

I had occasion to go the FRAPS website after not thinking about FRAPS for about a decade and the website looks exactly the same as it did in 2004. Everything about it, the font, the layout, the fact that their videos have broadband and dialup download options, the fact that you DOWNLOAD the video and its not on Youtube, its like a time portal to the early/mid 2000’s internet.

http://www.fraps.com/

Strava tells me that I broke the speed limit while coming down the mountain from Takashima into Tsuruga. At one point, I was doing 58 in a 50 zone. Getting up to the top of that hill with all my gear was a right pain in the ass, though.

I hope you are talking about cycling.

I am.

15 characters.

I didn’t really want to make a new thread to vet a little bit about morons on the internet, so I just throw this here.

I don’t watch Doctor Who, though I knew a few things about the show and the character by sheer osmosis. Yesterday it was announced that the next person to play the Doctor will be a woman. Naturally the manchild brigade threw a hissy fit. As I am kind of a masochist I looked up some of the scalding hot takes in the Doctor Who subreddit on the matter, and they are as awful as you expect. Just all sorts of general “but I don’t want things to change!” whining.

What compounds here is that there isn’t even a diagetic issue at all as the character is established to transform on a regular basis. It has has been previously established that Timelords can switch genders, other Timelords in the show have previously switched gender, and even The Doctor has switched gender before (in a non-canon TV special). So any argument a la “what’s next? Female Sherlock Holmes?” aren’t only bad on the surface but also absolutely do not apply here.

My favorite so far is one dude who declared it forced, and asked “why now?” Of course the only answer to this is “why not?”

As an aside, Elementary had a woman play Watson, so why not a have a Lady Sherlock? What is lost in all this is that:

1. These are all fictional, so characters can be anything. Superman can be a purple femal octopus in a wheelchair. The point of fiction is to play with stories, make them inventive, explore new ideas, and, in some cases, use the abstract to impart a lesson/message. Such a message in this case could be that women are valid, interrsting subjects equal to their male counterparts or that some people’s concept of gender is outdated and may need reexamining.

2. All the foremer episodes/content still exists! Go watch that instead of whinging about new content that one may not enjoy. Don’t a like purple femal octopus in a wheelchair as Superman? Good thing there are decades worth of content to return to or one could just write new stories.

This right here is like the pragmatic problem with being bigoted. Like let’s say I’m a bigot and that’s just how the world works and I’m ok with being a bigot and whatever. Even in that world I still have no leg to stand on complaining about lady/poc/etc protagonists. Proponents of more diversity of all kinds in media generally aren’t saying there should be less or no cis white male content. Just that there should be more diversity, on and off the screen.

A world where there’s more diversity in media, is in a way, also a world in which the bigots also win, in theory their media should improve by having more source and reference material being made by other talented people.

Even in the world where I’m ok with bigots (aka some strange place) they shouldn’t be rallying against diversity in media.

It’s cool that Doctor Who has a new female doctor. I don’t think I’ll return to watching because I can say confidently: Doctor Who is the most inconsistent series that has ever aired on television. Having a new showrunner will be a net benefit as people on all sides of pop culture have grown tired of Moffat, but we’ll see.

It’s kind of interesting to observe how close the haters of this change are to one of the main villains in Doctor Who: The Daleks. They hate everything that isn’t like them and feel the urge to destroy it. Then again, considering Daleks are a direct derivative of the Nazis and where those people usually come from or drift to it is not that surprising.

While I think it may have made more sense to perhaps wait until the 14th Doctor to cast a woman in the role (due to a lot of the setup with The Master/Missy and that Gallifreyan general’s gender changes) just to give a bit of breathing room between when they demonstrated that the gender change was possible and when they actually did it with the main character. However, I’m otherwise perfectly okay with the female Doctor and wish her and the show staff the best of luck. I’m sure she’ll do just fine given her resume and I’ll look forward to seeing her in the role.

[quote=“Nukerjsr, post:173, topic:281, full:true”]It’s cool that Doctor Who has a new female doctor. I don’t think I’ll return to watching because I can say confidently: Doctor Who is the most inconsistent series that has ever aired on television. Having a new showrunner will be a net benefit as people on all sides of pop culture have grown tired of Moffat, but we’ll see.[/quote]I liked the show when the 9th doctor revived it, but after that it was mostly declining. I think my disinterest peaked when they Tinkerbell’d the 10th doctor back in “last of the time lords” and then undid the last year. Mehhhhhh, not my bag, but I’ll check out Whittaker’s take on the Doctor all the same.

[quote=“DMLou, post:175, topic:281, full:true”]
While I think it may have made more sense to perhaps wait until the 14th Doctor to cast a woman in the role (due to a lot of the setup with The Master/Missy and that Gallifreyan general’s gender changes) just to give a bit of breathing room between when they demonstrated that the gender change was possible and when they actually did it with the main character. However, I’m otherwise perfectly okay with the female Doctor and wish her and the show staff the best of luck. I’m sure she’ll do just fine given her resume and I’ll look forward to seeing her in the role.
[/quote]I don’t agree on that point, but I dearly wish that we could have had a season of Capaldi under a new showrunner. Moffat isn’t great, but Capaldi is a fantastic actor, I’d love to see what he could do under a different guiding hand, but alas, alas.

One week until the bar, two until I move out of my current place, and three until I move to DC.

I am equally excited and freaked the hell out.

Oh, I definitely agree we needed more Capaldi as the Doctor, especially under a new showrunner, as I was a fan of him and his portrayal.

I blew out both my knees chasing frogs in a rice field shit housed with my kindergarten parents.

[quote=“DMLou, post:179, topic:281, full:true”]
Oh, I definitely agree we needed more Capaldi as the Doctor, especially under a new showrunner, as I was a fan of him and his portrayal.
[/quote]He rode into a medieval arena for a gladiatorial duel, standing on a challenger tank, playing the doctor who theme on electric guitar, then started making puns. What more could you want?

(Side note - Capaldi played the guitar for that bit, both at the filming, and for the overdubbed track)