Random Comments

I very much enjoyed GLOW. It felt like it stalled out a couple of times, but was generally funny and charming enough to pull through it.

Depending on which definition you use, that is random.

1 Like

The night train I took to the airport left half an hour late and arrived forty minutes early. While arriving early is certainly better than late, I just wish that they would depart and arrive at the posted times. That seems to be beyond China, though.

If only other countries could follow Japan’s lead on public transit punctuality…

1 Like

See you say that, and the trains are pretty good over here, but lord some times they just go mad for no good reason! That and there is the subway. No matter where you are if its rush hour or late and your a woman your going to have a bad time.

That said I love how good the AC and heaters are.

They do, see Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea. Can’t comment on others.
Perth, Australia is pretty good but frequency increase would be useful.

I it always cracks me up when people find out they can’t learn Japanese by just watching anime, and the sand that follows. I mean would you learn English by just watching Rick and Morty.

I think a bunch of native english speakers may be the single least qualified group to ask about best ways of learning english. The answer is be born in an english speaking country. It’s both technically correct and profoundly unhelpful and all I’m qualified to talk about.

To be fair you can definitely pick up some vocabulary and basic phrases and grammar but without study you’re not getting far. That said anime can be a fun study aid if you put effort into it. I figured out how adjectives are nominalized watching anime.

I learned how to say “ultimate destiny apocalypse” in Japanese from anime what else would I need?

2 Likes

That is the thing its an aid not the soul source. What sort of grinds my gears is people who think its the only tool that they need. Its like people think Piro from Megatokyo is a real person to follow.

@Naoza To be fair you can say that for all languages really. I mean chirst of the 5 people I regularly talk to three of them speak completely different dialects and none of them are the same as the area I’m in.

@Deadname I did use the Roses are red, violets are blue, omae wa mo shindeiru.

What does Vince McMahon like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm1CKgujrEw

Nah, you totally could learn Japanese by just watching anime… if you were an artificial superintelligence, that is.

I haven’t really encountered the sand of which you speak, but I guess it doesn’t surprise me since people expecting things to be easy and getting disappointed / giving up when they aren’t is quite a common phenomenon.

Pretty much yeah. A friend of mine suggested asking them to learn Aramaic online and report back.

I had occasion to go the FRAPS website after not thinking about FRAPS for about a decade and the website looks exactly the same as it did in 2004. Everything about it, the font, the layout, the fact that their videos have broadband and dialup download options, the fact that you DOWNLOAD the video and its not on Youtube, its like a time portal to the early/mid 2000’s internet.

http://www.fraps.com/

Strava tells me that I broke the speed limit while coming down the mountain from Takashima into Tsuruga. At one point, I was doing 58 in a 50 zone. Getting up to the top of that hill with all my gear was a right pain in the ass, though.

1 Like

I hope you are talking about cycling.

I am.

15 characters.

I didn’t really want to make a new thread to vet a little bit about morons on the internet, so I just throw this here.

I don’t watch Doctor Who, though I knew a few things about the show and the character by sheer osmosis. Yesterday it was announced that the next person to play the Doctor will be a woman. Naturally the manchild brigade threw a hissy fit. As I am kind of a masochist I looked up some of the scalding hot takes in the Doctor Who subreddit on the matter, and they are as awful as you expect. Just all sorts of general “but I don’t want things to change!” whining.

What compounds here is that there isn’t even a diagetic issue at all as the character is established to transform on a regular basis. It has has been previously established that Timelords can switch genders, other Timelords in the show have previously switched gender, and even The Doctor has switched gender before (in a non-canon TV special). So any argument a la “what’s next? Female Sherlock Holmes?” aren’t only bad on the surface but also absolutely do not apply here.

My favorite so far is one dude who declared it forced, and asked “why now?” Of course the only answer to this is “why not?”

2 Likes

This right here is like the pragmatic problem with being bigoted. Like let’s say I’m a bigot and that’s just how the world works and I’m ok with being a bigot and whatever. Even in that world I still have no leg to stand on complaining about lady/poc/etc protagonists. Proponents of more diversity of all kinds in media generally aren’t saying there should be less or no cis white male content. Just that there should be more diversity, on and off the screen.

A world where there’s more diversity in media, is in a way, also a world in which the bigots also win, in theory their media should improve by having more source and reference material being made by other talented people.

Even in the world where I’m ok with bigots (aka some strange place) they shouldn’t be rallying against diversity in media.