Random Comments

[quote=“PrinceRobot, post:110, topic:281”]
For example they’re avoiding having to follow through on environmental impact studies by using “existing” genetic material within compatible plants.
[/quote]That’s interesting, do you have some reporting or maybe another source for that? I had a quick look(hey, it’s late at night, gimme a break here), and all I can find are either quack/Anti-GMO sites whose reporting on GMOs is sketchier than Di Vinci’s doodle pad.

[quote=“PrinceRobot, post:110, topic:281”]
Either way, Bill Nye’s attitude historically on the subject has went from stupid (GMOs are horrifying) to stupid (GMOs are the best thing ever).
[/quote]Eh, red herring. Bill’s views are generally regarding the GMOs themselves, I don’t think he’s expressed much of an opinion on the political and legal complications - since, y’know, science is his thing, not politics and law most of the time. He’s not Bill Nye the Lawyer guy, after all.

1 Like

What, just like this? http://www.genengnews.com/gen-exclusives/genetic-engineering-and-crops-the-crispr-conundrum/77900820

I’m pretty sure they are very pro GMO in general.

As regarding the “red herring”, it’s all tied together.

I don’t particularly even care about the GMO topic, it was just the one I recall. His show in general is sort of… science fanboyism or something. It’s just as likely to misinform the viewers and breed a culture of not examining the details.

[quote=“Churba, post:111, topic:281”]
He’s not Bill Nye the Lawyer guy, after all.
[/quote]That show would be interesting.

[quote=“PrinceRobot, post:112, topic:281”]
What, just like this? http://www.genengnews.com/gen-exclusives/genetic-engineering-and-crops-the-crispr-conundrum/77900820
[/quote]Perfect! Just what I was looking for, thank you!

I’ve been reading up on some tips for PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, and while they’re incredibly variable - Race to the ground! Don’t race to the ground! Grab cars, but be careful! Don’t grab cars unless really really nessassary! Always close doors! Close some doors but not others! etc etc. But there is one tip that is almost universal, and says a lot about the larger community around the game - when you enter your first lobby, press Ctrl+T to mute lobby voice chat, and never press that combination again.

1 Like

Sometimes it is funny in the lobby/airplane like people playing Careless Whisper or funny banter but 95% is yelling racial slurs for no reason or yelling “CHINA NUMBER ONE” I muted that crap after a week and never felt better.

[quote=“panfriedmarmot, post:116, topic:281, full:true”]
Sometimes it is funny in the lobby/airplane like people playing Careless Whisper or funny banter but 95% is yelling racial slurs for no reason or yelling “CHINA NUMBER ONE” I muted that crap after a week and never felt better.
[/quote]Literally the first thing I heard in my very first game was the first syllable of a squeaker shouting the N-word before I hit the mute. It actually makes the game somewhat more cathartic, because there’s a good chance that the people I’m shooting are assholes.

Of course, presuming I actually manage to shoot them, which isn’t happening much, but early days. At least the instincts that ARMA beat into me are serving me well in terms of movement, finding my way around, looting, and combat. I’ve lost gunfights, but never been caught by surprise or caught short by an ambush. I’ve been consistently placing in the top 30 right from my first game. Well, barring one or two where I got fucked by lag hardcore - including, in one case, where I got stuck waiting for my inventory long enough that I went from “Circle closes in two minutes” to dead before the game unfucked itself. It’s fun, but def very early access.

I’ve gotten top 30 most games where I don’t get punched out or shot before I even get a pistol, and even that has fallen off as I learned to go toward the edges of towns or the small clusters of buildings instead of the middle of the street. I find my trouble comes in spotting people hiding in bushes or grass. Also my marksmanship leaves a lot to be desired, I’ve always been bad at clicking heads. :confused:

[quote=“panfriedmarmot, post:118, topic:281”]
I find my trouble comes in spotting people hiding in bushes or grass.
[/quote]Try turning your foliage draw distance/LOD down, it’s not a perfect solution, but it helps with people in the grass and small bushes.

Punching, try to jump at someone and hit them - a punch to the head is an instant knockout about 8/10 times, and the hitbox for it is pretty generous when jumping. Shooting, unless you have time to properly line up your shot, just go for center of mass. Players are pretty fragile, and a few rounds in the chest and having to find more ammo is better than having to find a new game because you missed a headshot. Never set up an ambush in the line of where someone will come around a corner if you can avoid it, always set up somewhere that they’ll have to re-orient and you don’t, and don’t be afraid to press in while they’re still reacting to your first shots, keep them off balance.

As for landing, I try to pick a small cluster as far as possible to the left or right of the flight path(also - you can get extra distance by rhythmically pressing W as you fall, so you look like you’re almost swimming through the air) and hope for the best. I also usually hop out in places where most aren’t going to bother, often just after the middle when it’s mostly just AFKers left in the plane, but not too far toward the auto-jump. But if you need some quick coinage, you can always hold on with the AFKers and knock some heads in, though it’s a risky strategy

Try turning your foliage draw distance/LOD down, it’s not a perfect solution, but it helps with people in the grass and small bushes

See here’s my thing about that is that seems to me to be counter to what is intended in the game and borderline cheating; Not in the sense of an aimbot or ESP hack but not in the spirit of the game. I know most people do it but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That’s fair enough. I’ve got most things turned down anyway, to try and minimize the lag issues(which are more often a problem of the game than internet connectivity), so it’s less of a concern for me, but I also wasn’t having that trouble when I had it turned up, so I’m pretty neutral on the whole thing.

[quote=“panfriedmarmot, post:120, topic:281”]
See here’s my thing about that is that seems to me to be counter to what is intended in the game and borderline cheating; Not in the sense of an aimbot or ESP hack but not in the spirit of the game. I know most people do it but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
[/quote]Here’s a random hot tip - the ruins in the south, there’s some fucking good loot there. I’ve dropped near there a few times, and every time I’ve walked out with a good AR, a decent shotgun, lv2 armor/helmet, and usually a level 2 or 3 backpack, but nobody ever seems to go there.

Bonnaroo man arrested for selling fake drugs. "He was found in possession of 37 pills made to look as if they were molly, 22 bags of fake mushrooms, approximately 1,000 hits of fake acid, 20 bags made to look like cocaine, and an incense stick made to look like black tar heroin”

1 Like

Couple thoughts about Amazon buying Whole Foods.

1. Most obvious short term thing (in the next 1-2 years) is to use the stores to rapidly expand the Amazon Fresh Pickup service, which has been really successful locally.
  2. What I REALLY hope is they use the stores as an avenue to roll out the Amazon Go tech because that is literally industry changing, and other stores should be scared when it gets broad adoption. I suspect that will take a bit longer though, hopefully a prototype within a year and full adoption in 3-5.
1 Like

I’m curious how older non-tech people will react to Go.

The game, the AI that plays the game, or the programming language?

Maybe the verb?

Why are we talking about Pokemon?

I suspect not well. They will need to figure out how to deal with people who don’t use the app which is how you get into the store and determines how you pay. I suspect some kind of card system that you get on entry and give to a cashier when you are ready to pay and leave.

I usually differentiate by saying golang.

1 Like