Random Comments

One of the bigwigs at my university passed down a request for me to edit their research article. First for free. Next for an insultingly low amount. Finally I told them to change my schedule next semester (I talked to my vice-dean and dean about it, but they couldn’t do it). I’m waiting to see what happens; if their boss can effect the change I want, I’m happy to do the work, but if not…they’ll have an article about invasive species that makes frequent mention to aliens.

Game idea:

Realistic modern thief simulator. You live in an apartment and rent is due every single month. You cannot gain money for rent any way other than stealing.

Stealing itself is stupid easy, go to someone’s house, break a window, grab stuff and leave. There can be a bit of nuance to it but by and large I want this part to be dumb. Like maybe you can do some hunts under mats and whatnot for spare keys but spend too long outside and maybe some neighbor comes out to talk to you or calls the cops.

After you swipe stuff, cash goes directly towards your rent but other stuff has to be sold. This part of the game would be pretty fleshed out. Series of dialogue trees to convince pawn shop owners you haven’t stolen anything, maybe a seedy underground relationship chart simulator, so maybe you can find unscrupulous types to take stuff off your hands for cheap but no questions asked. Perhaps a menu to try selling stuff on craigslist.

The last part is my favourite part, and the reason this idea occurred to me. Behind the scenes, there’s some math determining how many mistakes you’ve made during your making money after the thieving, which serves to calculate how much time you have until the police show up on your doorstep and arrest you because of your poor life choices.

There could be options for robbing banks, but no heist nonsense, just going to the counter and demanding money. Robbing businesses, like liquor stores and diners and fast food places. All has the same end, a background timer and then the police show up at your door. At the end game, there’s like text screen with generic image of your character with a public defender, and the text says what mistake led to your being caught.

There’d be no way to actually get away with it. You always need rent, and all you can do is increase the time the police take to show up at your door.

Could also be some like complications during the thieving times. This concept though needs more thought though.

3 Likes

Plot twist: you’re stealing time, and the cops are the grim reaper.

So studio trigger has a patreon now…

So I got fired from my job because the wrong person overheard my grousing about Lowe’s new operations and policies (which are shit and were making my job ten times harder) to a Lowe’s employee I’m friends with. So the store management complained to my company and I was fired. I was looking for a new job anyway and I even have an interview today so maybe it’s a sign. To be honest I’ve been miserable at this job for over a year because of the new structure at Lowe’s so it’s kind of a relief regardless.

I’ve never heard of someone being fired for complaining. That is insane. If complaining was a firing offense, I wouldn’t be able to keep any job for more than 5 minutes. At my new job I complained to the HR person while signing hiring papers! Not sure if that counts as wrongful termination, but thanks to this shitty world you probably can’t afford a labor lawyer either way.

3 Likes

I got “something something making the company look bad something something” as the reason. My direct boss didn’t want to do it but his bosses made him. Also I’m in a “right to work” state so I can’t really fight it even if I wanted to. It kinda sucks for the short term money wise but eh fuck it.

Update: My interview with the headhunter went well and they already have a few firms in mind for me that would be a good entry level fit as a paralegal, so that is good news. Crossing my fingers the firm likes my resume!

3 Likes

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
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=Mf4T
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

I know these people are out there and exist in the real world, but it boggles my mind every time I encounter someone who doesn’t believe that Russia meddled in the US election, or even if they (grudgingly) admit Russia did, that it doesn’t matter.

The ones that grudgingly admit it but say it doesn’t matter are the more dangerous ones, I think. They’re the ones who don’t care about the means so long as the end is white supremacy and patriarchy, at least in my experience. They’d be happy to see a dictatorship so long as it propped that up.

2 Likes

Found this appropriate meme.

6 Likes

In the hour it took me to get from the ferry to Hokkaido to the park where I camped, I saw two foxes and heard many more. They sound very different from the ones at home. I also found out that my inflatable pillow won’t stay inflated to a comfortable level, but some tape will fix that once stores open.

New song

https://gregvonteig.bandcamp.com/track/levee-camp-blues

1 Like
1 Like

Someone on SA had a good quote I feel like I might use for something later:
Yeah Gamergate is kind of the Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand of World War Too Online

Jeez that is so accurate it hurts.

1 Like

My wife and I have a new kitten and he is the cutest. His name is Silas.

5 Likes

I found cured meat heaven. It’s called Hobbito and it’s in central Hokkaido. They basically serve hobbit food. There’s also Tolkien stuff all over.

EDIT: It’s totally hobbit food and it’s totally delicious. Everything is locally grown/sourced/made in house. The menu explains where all the ingredients come from and how they make the meats. The owner just really likes The Hobbit and wanted to make food that hobbits would like.

4 Likes