Random Comments

I have never seen Rick and Morty, but I did read this in connection to the whole Schezuan Sauce fiasco:

"The Joke, which plays with the show’s theme that Rick is empty, alone and despondent despite having everything he could ever ask for, is that all that work was done for a silly arbitrary reason. There is no plan, and there is no meaning. It may as well be a dipping sauce.

This flew right over the heads of some of the show’s biggest fans, and McDonald’s stepped right up to take advantage of this face…

Because the fans don’t understand any level of what’s going on. If they understood Rick, they wouldn’t care about the sauce because no one in the show really cares about the sauce. It was never referenced in the show again. Dan Harmon himself explained to us that the line was put there just to rip on co-creator Justin Roiland’s love for the sauce. If they understood Morty, they would be kinder to the McDonald’s workers who didn’t ask for any of this.

And if they understood the point of the show so far - that living only for yourself is destructive and selfish no matter how smart you are - they would be ashamed at how they’re acting."

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s even necessary to attribute any greater meaning to the show in either direction. Saying the show has a particular point isn’t necessarily right either. The assholish way some people acted is something they should feel shame for independent of that. You can be the most misanthropic or nihilistic person on the planet and that doesn’t change anything. Just because things don’t matter, or do, to you doesn’t change that you’re behaving like an asshole to someone that doesn’t deserve it.

Given the demographics I really feel like it just comes down to some kids being absolute assholes because they want to test their boundaries and entitlements against the world, and the world should respond to them properly by telling them to not be such a fuckhead. Best case being some actual consequences that hit them where it hurts enough to get them to reconsider their behavior, whether that’s in peer approval, the wallet, or jail time depending on the action. It doesn’t have to be any more ethically enlightened than that, cartoon or not.

This happened with Homestuck fans, it happened with Supernatural fans, and it’s happening with R&M fans.

Fandom is the problem. Any major property will likely generate a core of overly obsessed nutters who build their identity around their consumption (as opposed to what they make or do). As soon as your identity is tied to someone else’s IP, you’re on the road to disaster.

9 Likes

The fact that there are Supernatural fans kinda blows my mind. My roommate several years ago used to watch that show and I thought it was so bad.

They’re more rabid than any Rick & Homestuck. They send eachother death threats over “incorrect ships.”

If you like psychological horror, check out the visual novel Doki Doki Literature Club, even if you’re not a big fan of visual novels or anime. It starts out silly and fluffy and becomes something much much darker in short order. The less I say the better but I will say the trigger warnings are not kidding around. It is not a long game, it took me about three hours to get through it the first time around.

1 Like

Almost every evening, I see some person struggle to hop a fence to go through the park.

It’s shockingly common. They always look like they’re either going to fall on their face, or have the fence lance their spine or worst.

why do you struggle Seriously, just hop the damn thing and go!

How tall a fence are we talking? A “hopping” fence or a “climbing” fence?

The height is irrelevant. There are very sensible places to put your feet, if you can’t hop, you can still safely climb over. However, even a tall fence, if you have footing, you can still flick your body over (ie. hop).

The problem is, the common attempt is to get their feet directly on top of the fence. Stand with both feet on top of the fence. Then step down, straight on to the ground. Doing it this way, YEH now height matters, but also, fence spikes matters.

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Est5NRFSis

Not my footage.

ew. And if it’s a chain link, this automatically makes you an asshole.

I am often shocked by how uncoordinated and unathletic huge swaths of the population are. I can’t imagine not being able to do basic things easily like hop a low fence or walk up a single flight of stairs without getting winded.

The percentage of the people I see on a daily basis who can’t walk up a single flight of stairs without panting is staggering.

2 Likes

My insurance has a little questionnaire thing that they make me fill out and at the end it compares you to other people in your age group. It’s disturbing that doing more than 0 physical activity and not smoking is enough to get in the top 25%

Same. Apparently I am more active than 95% of New Yorkers.

So my company instituted the most late stage capitalist bullshit policy I’ve ever seen. You can -buy- extra vacation time from the company through payroll deductions.

I mean, phrasing it like that is bad, but that is literally what I ask for from my company. I would cut my salary by 20% to work 4 days a week.

In related news, I accidentally didn’t take the majority of my time off last year and normally that shit expires but I asked if I could have an exception because I used basically none of it. They agreed but politely asked that I not do this again. between now and october 2018 I have 28 days off.

2 Likes

May I suggest some PAX?

That sounds like a recipe for an awesome two-week road trip. Either start from home, or pick a cheap city to fly to and then rent a car. From your starting point, make a big loop, hitting every cool spot you find in your research. It’s a great way to experience a lot of different places in a short time - depending on where you go, you could hit 5-6 states easily. I’ve done this solo a couple of times before and have had some of the best experiences of my life.

If you spend some time getting lost on atlasobscura.com or roadtrippers.com you can get some really neat off-beat ideas for places to see and things to do.

Yo man if you’re Paxin’ buy your Tickets right the fuck now, the nearest PAX is damned near sold out, you’re already gonna have to miss Saturday unless you score a three day international. Come on, I already told you what’s on the slate in the PAX Aus thread, you know that action is calling you.

It may be slightly too late for me there. Flights leaving… tomorrow to melbourne seem to be between $1300 and $2100

Here’s that $1200 one:

Anyone up for 42 hours not counting the time you have to show up early to fly internationally? I think I may have accidentally the whole thing on PAX AUS this year.

Having never attended a PAX, I accept your suggestion.