Random Comments

Oh, I saw a round trip just the other day for like eight hundred, I should have remembered and told you. And it’s too late to pull in a favor and get you some non-rev.

But, I mean, fuck yeah I’m down for that. In fact, I think that’s almost exactly what the manager for Wombat is doing.

That sounds like 10 hours on a plane, 17 hours in an airport, somewhere in western canada followed by many more hours on a plane. Like, I don’t often say this, but I don’t even think Civ could get me through that. That only kills like 12 of those hours.

Not to mention scrambling to find a place to sleep in a new city. I usually plan better than that. I think I’ll give it a miss this year. So as not to leave you in suspense.

That sounds like 10 hours on a plane, 17 hours in an airport, somewhere in western canada followed by many more hours on a plane. Like, I don’t often say this, but I don’t even think Civ could get me through that. That only kills like 12 of those hours.

Do you not sleep on planes? My solution when doing emergency non-rev was just to stay awake and purposely crash out, so I slept most of the flight. Nowdays, if I’m flying long distance, I hang out and chat with the crew, read, sleep, so on.

And, I mean, I’d have to talk to a few people, but I could get you a place to put your head down, no worries. It’s not like I’m a stranger to Melbourne barring Pax. Hell, I got another friend an offer for a crash hot hotel deal in Sydney, hungover to shit, on a bad mobile line, out the front of a back-alley Chinese restaurant in Melbourne, with little more than nicotine and practically free green tea keeping me on my feet. I’m not sure he actually used it - I don’t remember that he did, so probably not - but I damned well managed it.

I sleep on planes… kinda poorly but I’m capable. I’m normally a sleeper who dies every night and resurrects in the morning. Planes magically transform me into a light sleeper, it’s weird.

I appreciate your willingness to help me out here and I’m even moreso impressed in your magic powers of persuasion, and your domination of crappy connections and bodily function. That said I’m still gonna decline. When pax aus is announced next year I’ll get my room right away and my tickets right away and I’ll come by and have a grand time. I’ll just be 28 which basically is the same thing as 27.

Most people can’t afford that, sadly and we’re limited to getting five days anyway. But it really grinds my gears that I have to pay my employer in anything other than my labor for vacation everyone ought to have in the first place.

How many days off do you get free?

Excellent! We look forward to seeing you next year. And you’re not that much younger than me, so hey, you’ll still be able to keep up.

Ten days. Which is of course standard in the US but when the entirety of the EU has minimum twenty its kinda bullshit.

1 Like

Oh ew yeah that sucks. I just hope that’s not combined vacation and sick time.

Five sick days, which doesn’t seem like much seeing as if I get a bad cold it’s at least two days out for me. Believe it or not this company is an improvement. When I worked for Lowe’s you had to earn your vacation before you could use it. Literally had to work a whole year to have your two weeks. And only three sick days per year.

Limited sick days are the worst. If people don’t get sick, they take ALL of them as more vacation. If they do get sick, they get less vacation OR they come to the office sick and get everyone else sick…

Half the places I’ve worked went the “unlimited sick days” route. It’s the best. People end up taking fewer days off, they never come to the office sick, and everyone is better off. It’s better for the employees AND the company.

This ought to be standard all around. My wife has no tonsils or adenoids so she gets colds easily and they tend to be somewhat worse and linger, so she often uses a lot of sick time every year. A few times has had to dip into vacation or take unpaid days which sucks.

Dasharez0ne’s FB is lit compared to its twitter. I wonder if it’s a fan account.

1 Like

Agreed. My company pretty much has that rule and all they ask is that you honestly keep your boss informed about your sick time in order to prevent obvious abuse such as someone getting plastered every weekend and calling in sick every following Monday.

My current job has unlimited sick AND vacation time, with the expectation that you don’t abuse it.

Of course, time off is subject to approval by management.

Juliane and I have been together so long that Facebook has started advertising fertility treatments and services.

Tumblr can’t decide if I’m a gay man, a middle aged housewife, or a nerdy teenage girl. Apparently I break ad algorithms.

2 Likes

When I accidentally see ads on tumbr it’s historically mostly been ads for dental implants.

1 Like

Yeah I only see them on mobile. But dental implants?

There is podcast that covers the good the bad and the ugly of algorithms. It’s really good.

1 Like