Random Comments

So generally I’m not a huge music fan, definitely not a pop music fan day-to-day, but I’m bored and youtube feeds up recommendations from tailor swift and katie perry and honestly those music videos are awesome. Just focusing on the video element, they did an awesome job. Might be the result of the money invested or whatever, but I walk out entertained. I enjoyed what they offered, even if it’s not music I’m going to come back to day to day. I kinda like that the videos are worth probably millions of dollars of investment. You can tell a unique little story in a very specific window that might not make money as a platform.

Pro tip, I manage to stop getting those recommendations by simply giving them a thumbs down on YT Music. My “random” station has me pegged to indie pop/rock, J and K pop, chiptunes and a small handful of artists that I purposely searched for.

To be fair, that $375 was for a team of five people. A team of 5 was the smallest possible team though.

So far this year I’ve had to copy 50 5.25" floppy disks. I think that’s more than every other kind of obsolete media combined. Surprisingly all but a couple of them were still fully readable.

Who is still using 5.25" floppies? Is it some ancient business archive or something?

Military
Factory Automation Tools from Ancient Times

Companies that never move stuff to new media for me. The stuff I was pulling this week was mostly date stamped in the early to mid 80s. There’s no technical reason they shouldn’t have been rolled forward into newer archive formats, but most companies still don’t have good archiving practices, they probably didn’t even have official policy at the time.

I am 27 and have never in my life used, seen, held or otherwise interacted with 5.25 floppy discs.

I used to use 3.5 floppys all the time. They were kinda standard when I was a kid but the format preceding that was basically obsolete by then.

1 Like

Oh I have seen that, it’s worse than 5.25" the nuclear forces use 8” disks.

Brother, there are still places running ancient NC (not a typo, There’s no “C” to make it CNC) mills that run on punch strips - like a punchcard, but longer. They have specialized “Printers” for it, that punch the holes for you based on the g-code you’ve either written or produced with software, and some have changed the read heads so that it’s optical like a scantron sort of dealie, and you can make the cards off a much cheaper printer. They’re very rare, but they still exist.

I work in IT for manufacturing, and we have a few machines that still take 3.5" floppies. But I’ve never had to deal with 5.25".

I own 5.25" floppy discs and drives that work with my Apple //gs.

I owned floppies, to never have had any legitimate use for them. They still sit in my desk drawer unused.

Don’t even own a working drive anymore, to write to them if I wanted to.

I still have a couple Zip disks somewhere, although my Zip drive requires a parallel port, and I don’t have a computer that has one of those anymore, so essentially I can’t read the disks.

To those of you who don’t remember, Zip disks were an aborted branch of the memory tree. They held 100mb to 250mb and came in the dark period between 3.5 floppies and portable USB drives/sticks.

I’ve had vhs tapes that have moved with me every time since high school… and I don’t think any of those times I’ve owned a vhs player.

The only reason I still have a VCR is to be able to watch the last home release of the original Star Wars trilogy that didn’t have added CG bullshit and deleted scenes.

Why not just watch Harmy’s?

1 Like

I was thinking about the whole Schezuan Sauce bull shit, and it almost reminds me of volunteering at anime cons. It’s like all of these people went through their first-nerd-con high without the proper space and structure to do so properly, basically a con high without the con.

People just like getting excited about things.

Excitement is fine. Excitement coupled with entitlement however…

3 Likes