Overwatch

This has kind of always been my problem with shooters in general, not meta per se but the way I want to play a given game is almost always the opposite of what is considered ideal.

https://youtu.be/f0lGo-HVVbE

Long video but the background is just random gameplay so you can treat it like a podcast.

I generally agree with most of the stuff in the video, but I’m not high enough ranking to experience all of what he’s talking about. Some of it I think is just an unavoidable consequence of increasing the number of heroes but some of it seems to be by design.

Most of the newer heroes I find frustrating to play against now that I think about it. Ana and Orisa are fine but as someone that plays supports a lot CC / spamy things and flankers that kill me before my team notices are no fun.

Recently I almost exclusively want to play CTF. I think because the unfun games tend to only last a couple minutes and when good games get going the same players will match several games in a row.

What the fuck is CC? The Internet says it means “crowd control”. Isn’t that just AoE? Why is this new word needed? Also, why is AoE even effective in a 5v5 game? Doesn’t seem smart to bunch all your team together in one spot.

Bunching up is pretty necessary in Overwatch. DPS can hide/shoot behind tank shields, support abilities mostly have short ranges, etc… Some characters are designed to go somewhat solo (snipers, some characters can fly) but they need to either have a pocket healer or use their abilities to go back to the main group for healing.

Crowd control and AoE are not the same. AoE just refers to how many people it impacts. CC is specifically for skills that hamper the other team’s mobility or actions, things like stuns, slows, roots, forcing them to move away or towards you, etc.

3 Likes

Now I’m happy I never played this game.

What’s wrong with stuns and hampering enemy movement?

in almost any game (especially where Hyperawareness and Adrenaline is a factor), when you’re hit with an ability that removes your ability to interface with the game.

Nobody likes those death scenes when they play out, making them effectively longer is putting salt in the wound.

1 Like

With the exception of Mei nothing really takes away mobility for more than a second. A pushback from an explosion or boop doesn’t even take away your ability to turn and shoot. I don’t see the problem, doesn’t bother me.

I’m ok with losing games. I’m ok with getting my ass kicked. I’m ok with being completely dominated by a pro player.

The two things I am most not ok with in any competitive game are games that are over but not over, and games that take away agency.

If I’m down by 1000 points, there’s no reason for the game to continue. Games need to end as soon as one player/team has reached 100% chance of victory. Tennis gets it right.

If I’m playing Quake, I may have no frags. I may have no chance of getting a frag. Despite that, I can still move around. I can jump and shoot. I can get weapons. I can look around. I’m in no way prevented from playing Quake and having fun playing Quake. I can’t win, but I can play.

Stunning, freezing, disabling, “mind control”, all of these are bullshit where the player loses agency. The classic example is the Magic: the Gathering Statis deck. Even if a player is going to lose, they should at no time lose the ability to play, even for a second. Otherwise what’s the point?

And before you bring up any other classic examples, yes I even think that the dizzy mechanic in Street Fighter II is awful.

Y’all are acting like these stuns in Overwatch are a big deal. They last like a second, and they’re rare.

COUNTERSTRIKE even has this. If you’re getting shot, it slows you down and messes your input up a bit. It’s neither new nor bad.

It is not new, it is still bad.

You do realize that you lose agency every time you get hit in Street Fighter. Not just when you get dizzy. To be exact, you lose agency every time you attack too, gotta wait until recovery is over to do something else.

1 Like

I disagree. You’re deeply oversimplifying.

A “stasis deck” in Magic would “stun” the other player for basically the entire game.

A “stun” in Overwatch is literally equivalent to taking a bullet in CS or getting hit by a rocket and knocked back a bit in Quake. The people who are complaining about this in Overwatch are exaggerating by an insane degree.

It’s less than even that in Overwatch. It’s nothing. It’s also skill-based on both sides.

2 Likes

That’s how Overwatch works. The match has an objective. The second you achieve it (or the other team does), the game is over.

If it’s tied, it goes into an Overtime that forces a conclusion.

Games can’t linger if one team is bad.

Even if you’re attacking, there’s a timer. If you fail to achieve the goal before the timer runs out, the game just ends. Because of the overtime mechanics, even if you have 1 second left in the timer, you could theoretically still take the point by getting it to overtime, and then win the match. But the second that timer is over, the match is over. It’s a lot like Football’s endgame. Just keep running even if the clock runs out (until you no longer have the ball).

I’ve won games where we failed on the attack repeatedly, ran out of time but had someone get on the payload. We rode the payload the entire rest of the map in Overtime. If we’d lost contact with that payload for even a second the game would immediately been over.

For some actual numbers on the longer stuns:
Sleep Dart: 5.5 sec max
Frozen: 1.5 sec slow, 1.5 sec frozen
Earthshatter: 2.5 sec
Flashbang: .7 sec

It’s worth noting that no one really complains about these, so I don’t think duration of stun has much to do with it.

I think that most of the perceived problems are just a consequence of adding more heroes because to be viable they must be useful and behave differently from the existing heroes.

The more I look at these complaints, they seem to boil down to:

“I want to play this character this way, but it isn’t that effective and I want the game changed to make me personally better without having to actually get better or learn a different character.”

They could play the character they want if they were better at the game. They could also play a different character that they’d likely be better with.

They’re mad that they have to pay attention to people sneaking up on them from the side. They’re like the kids who would make mostly straight maps in Stunts 4D racing because they weren’t good a turning. Or the kids who would demand everyone build for 10 minutes before rushing in Starcraft/C&C because they weren’t skilled enough to play the real game.

1 Like

Looking at those numbers alone mean little. If you die because of Flashbang, it’s not just 0.7 seconds, it’s several seconds of respawn time and then walk back into fight. I’m not saying stuns in Overwatch or any other game are bad, but I do understand the frustration that comes when you die suddenly with little warning of chance to retaliate. Alone it means little, but if you are having bad day and just keep dying again and again and nothing seems to work or make things better, it’s frustrating and annoyihng and at that point 0.7 seconds starts to feel like 70 seconds.