Overwatch

Not if you’re good or your team is actually supportive.

I realize this is a balance designed for comp. But comp isn’t fun. I played it a lot until I realized that it’s a toxic soup of humanity and that Blizzard pandering to its meta is ruining it for people who play for fun. I don’t want a sport, I want a game.

I think it is. People in QP don’t try: comp is all trying to win. I rarely run into toxicity, people are almost always chill. I play comp for fun. I never play QP.

Toxicity seems to vary depending on skill ranking, time of day, and probably some other factors. I’ve run into toxic people in the silly arcade modes before. I usually just try a different game mode if I get 2 toxic games in a row.

I think this is where the issue arises. There are two different audiences who want completely opposite things. I want an entertaining game for funsies, you want a hard competitive sport. Playing backyard catch versus playing for the Red Sox. Blizzard has their business plan geared toward a sport and all that entails, but in doing so it’s like MLB gets to tell the sandlot kids they have to turn in their baseballs and bats for new regulation ones even though they’re just playing for fun. I think if they keep dicking with it to make it more sport it’s going to really alienate the people who want to just play around.

Competitive is also that. The only difference at all between it and QP is that QP doesn’t track meaningful stats on how well you do. They’re otherwise identical.

If you want unbalanced weird funsies, just play in the Arcade. The Arcade literally exists for everything you’re describing. You can even make custom games banning characters or changing physics/weapon damage/etc…

More to the point: let’s say you get your balance change to make QP more fun. They won’t work. Instead, anyone who’s good who happens be in in QP will be an indestructible god. It’s not like good players don’t have access to QP.

Referencing this video from Dinoflask:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbDv7imglLI

From Twitter: Anyone who wants to know the hubbub with the ‘More Women’ sign, here it is.

The ‘Overwatch’ League launched with no female players, but plenty of excuses The 'Overwatch' League launched with no female players, but plenty of excuses @mashable

I know the person that held the sign up and it’s now making international news, holy crap.

Edit I fail at tweet embeds.

New character in the PTR: Brigitte (Very similar to Reinhardt only support)

I for one am excited for the bucketload of new ships this patch will bring.

Shall we try to get a group game going later today?

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4j8SDxtCOE&feature=youtu.be

Got back into the game for a minute, went 7/2 and a draw in my placements. Bridgette is cool. I suspect that I’d climb back into plat pretty easy if I tried, but I feel like trying would involve not muting people quite so often.

I played a game where I did my Rein (I main Rein/D.Va/Moira/Mei these days), and someone played a solid Bridgette alongside me.

That combination, if done well, is intoxicating to play. I felt invincible.

Bridgette is a lot of fun, easily one of my favorites.

For some reason, Blizzard decided that not playing in the last two seasons means I’ve gone from mid-gold to low-diamond, so I got absolutely crushed in my first placement match. Healing for a well-coordinated team was a lot of fun though.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/EvLeTPNxp-Q
I haven’t been on much, been mostly watching streamers and OWL. Want to play more but hesitant to dip my toe into the frigid waters of toxicity.

I just solo queue and never look back.

I almost would rather run into the toxics, since I can report/block them. The most common issue I run into is a two-group that won’t join team voice, never chats, and silently plays two DPS ignoring the entire team.

It’s so common I need a word for it.

“Prefer” anyone friendly. I run into the same people a lot now and my games are mostly pretty chill. It doesn’t solve everything and grouping does usually seem to help in my experience.

I’m always up for queuing with people but tend to play at odd times.

Communication is great and all, but don’t stop in the middle of a fight to type out the names of the heroes the rest of us are fighting.