Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

Yeah, what I’m doing would not normally be considered athletic. I’m barely doing 10 minute miles. Apparently I was really out of shape, I’m shocked at how quickly my BP came down.

[quote=“GeorgePatches, post:65, topic:254”]
Yeah, what I’m doing would not normally be considered athletic. I’m barely doing 10 minute miles.
[/quote]You grossly underestimate how sedentary most Americans are. Running ten minute miles a few times a week is more activity than the far majority of Americans get.

I track my activity in Strava/Google Fit. Apparently I am more active than 99% of everyone in NYC. And NYC is more active than most of the rest of the country.

I walk a pretty decent amount though, I thought that counted for more.

This is relevant to this discussion.

https://youtu.be/VcctlAkAiq8

Also I am trying the lose it App out, so far it’s ok.

3 Likes

My 2c here: Current recommendation by the AMA is 30 minutes of elevated heart rate per day. When asked what form of elevated heart rate is preferred the response is “whatever you’ll do”.

So running is great, so is biking, so is going into the yard and swinging around on little trees and doing somersaults. Long as you elevate that heart rate, you’re doing your body a service. Is 3 hours per day better than 30 minutes, maybe, but if the advice was 3 hours a day it’d put a great many people off it all together.

I personally play volleyball once a week, softball twice a week and bike to the nearby park to read on some other days. I probably don’t hit quite 30 minutes every day but I I exceed it on sports and bike days. Thankfully in the winter I’m at my happiest and fill my yard with snowmen. (My snowman game is better than yours, fight me) I got off track here.

My point is the best science right now is a pretty low bar == what is currently recommended, so try and meet it, method matters little.

Edit: Downside, today was softball day and I got a nice gnarly (maybe) sprained ankle trying to simultaneously duck a throw I couldn’t see and run the bases, so if whatever you’ll do has a risk of injury, be careful, there’s definitely some appeal to something a bit safer. Now I’m off my feet for a little while. (I’m gonna do the “manly” (stupid) thing and not see anyone about my ankle that’s quite visibly swollen.)

I’ve heard about Rhabdo a lot, mostly in relation to Crossfit. This new article explains it better than I’ve seen before.

The point is, don’t exercise too hard.

1 Like

Noted.

Update for me is I’m up to 1.33 miles at a sub 10min/mile pace. Also my knees hurt now when I run, could be shin splints, not sure.

EDIT: or maybe runner’s knee? I do have tight hamstrings.

If you’re really running that frequently, it might be time to get a decent pair of sneakers and inserts.

2 Likes

Where do your knees hurt? Near the front, just under the kneecap? On the side?

As for rhabdo, it’s real hard to get that. You have to not only undertake extreme exercise, but ignore several sets of painful warning signs from your body. Most people who have this sort of problem have a hitherto unknown health condition of some kind or are receiving dangerous “training advice” from someone who’s telling them to ignore real pain. It’s also mostly seen in specific intense workouts like stationary cycling.

(Full disclosure: I think “spinning” is a silly exercise used mostly by people who think they can get away with “scientific” hard exercise on a schedule rather than more general activity and health. It has its uses, but I wouldn’t recommend trying it).

It’s real hard to get to that point with running, so it’s literally not a concern you should even think about. (Unless you decide to try a marathon for your next run).

[quote=“SkeleRym, post:74, topic:254”]Where do your knees hurt? Near the front, just under the kneecap? On the side?[/quote]I’d say the sides hurt, the inside sides.

Knee pain has escalated to the point where I only ran half as much today. Maybe I’ll bike for a while, I’m not sure. Pretty bummed.

I get tendon issues a lot, just make sure you are doing the right stretches if you are feeling pain, also take a day or two off.

1 Like

Rest days.

That’s the cure for most knee issues in running. Let the tendons recuperate.

2 Likes

I’m debating whether to take the easy 72 mile bike route on a trip this weekend, or go for the full 100…

1 Like

I went for a short 2/3 mile run yesterday and the knee pain is mostly gone. Also my BP is still down without meds, 120/80. That shocks me the most cause I thought it would go right back up again after I stopped running every day.

4 Likes

I just has a vasectomy. I’m going to be laying up for next few days while my a balls calm down.

2 Likes

Been considering it. If you’re comfortable talking about it, how was the procedure?

I’ve still got some hopes pinned on Vasalgel.

I was obviously still recovering from the anaesthetic earlier as I have no memory of posting about it here on the forum 5 hours ago.

2 Likes

It’s not a local anesthetic?