Notable Deaths

RIP Robbie Robertson. You treated all your bandmates like shit and basically vanished after screwing them over, but goddamn could you play a guitar like nobody else this side of Roy Buchanan

2 Likes
1 Like

R.I.P. Dale

1 Like

I just learned that Robert Hanssen, who… also leaked information, died a couple months ago, within a few days of Mr. Ellsberg.

1 Like

https://www.reuters.com/technology/adobes-co-founder-john-warnock-dies-82-2023-08-20/

People talk about Bill Gates, but he’s not known for being a great programmer. He didn’t invent BASIC or DOS, and he didn’t program Windows. Have you ever heard him talk about programming nitty gritty stuff? I bet he hasn’t written a line of code in decades.

At Apple, Steve Jobs wasn’t a programmer, Woz was responsible for all the technical stuff. Woz was the Jack Kirby to Steve’s Stan Lee. But Steve was in charge of the company, twice.

But at Adobe, the founders Geschke and Warnock were the CEOs and later chairmen of the board. They were also the technical people. They literally invented Postscript and PDF. Imagine writing code that is effectively speaking, still used around the world on millions (billions+?) of devices 30+ years after you wrote it, and after you have passed away.

That’s hall of fame level, first ballot, no discussion necessary.

2 Likes

Pro Wrestling Legend Terry Funk has passed away at the age of 79. Terry Funk was one of the true innovators of wrestling, particularly hardcore and death matches.

2 Likes

Another passing in the wrestling community, this one far more unexpected.

Windham Rotunda, better known as Bray Wyatt, has tragically died of a heart attack following a long bout of illness. He was just 36 years old.

So long and godspeed, Bob Barker.

5 Likes

Dang. Bob was my guy. I thought he would at least get to 100 easily.

All the other game show hosts were just not even close. What he had that they don’t is he sincerely cared about the contestants. Either that, or he was an absolute expert at faking it. He wanted to know people, and he wanted to help them win as much as the rules allowed. He was genuinely excited for people when they won and sad when they didn’t.

The number one thing about that show is how excited people get when Rod Roddy would tell them to come on down! People who hadn’t even won anything yet were usually more excited than the people who won the showcase. I’d like to say it’s because going to hang out with Bob was really the best prize.

1 Like

It was a great show and he was an S-tier entertainer.

2 Likes

When I watched TV back in the day, there was a clear line between the old style TV they showed on things like Nick at Nite, and modern TV. The same goes for other mediums. The oldies music station was clearly different than the contemporary ones. By necessity oldies are all re-runs.

Except the Price is Right.

Sure, there are other long-running productions, but they update themselves and evolve with the times. The Simpsons now is not what it was in the '90s.

But the Price is Right never meaningfully updated anything other than the prizes. They operate a '60s TV show no matter if it’s 199X or 202X. And Bob Barker was an actual '50s-'60s game show host. By my reckoning the last of his kind?

It’s not a criticism of Drew Carey, or whatever hosts may come in the future, to say they aren’t '60s game show hosts. They obviously can’t be. They can try to act like one, but it would be an act. Even though the rest of the show might be frozen in time, the host is probably the most important part. And whoever it is, causes a mixup in the anachrony. It just takes away some of the charm and magic of seeing something that’s simultaneously incredibly old and also brand new.

I dunno, feels pretty appropriate that he got as close as he could to 100 without going over.

12 Likes

I’ll admit, I didn’t know the name of the actor who did Harley Quinn’s voice, but I definitely knew the voice and it IS iconic.

2 Likes

Jimmy Buffett has moved to Margaritaville full time.

4 Likes

RIP. Jimmy’s music was a constant when I was growing up and he was the first concert I ever went to.

1 Like

The years did not stop coming.

A good reminder that you should exit the state while the crowd is still applauding.

1 Like

Never watched a whole episode of Friends. Only saw starts and ends of episodes when it was on before/after something else I wanted to watch. Those bits I did see did not leave a good impression.

The show was such a thing at the time, of course I knew about it, and knew the name Matthew Perry/Chandler. I know there are a LOT of fans out there who are going to be upset at this news. The story of his death reads like a cliche celebrity dying too young situation. It’s such a stereotype that I thought it was a fake news, maybe an AI generated story or something. But nope, this is coming from real news.

1 Like
1 Like

RIP Rosalynn Carter

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/19/politics/rosalynn-carter-mental-health-activist-humanitarian-and-former-first-lady-dies-at/index.html

2 Likes