Net Neutrality

Never going to pass the house or the President though :frowning:

The hope is that by forcing representatives to vote, they might face some heat for voting no on something 87% of america supports.

This is also good math. 87% of the US supports a thing. Only 52% of the senate voted along with that. The government is roughly 35% corrupt.

1 Like

This is why Net Neutrality is important. What Verizon did here is inexcusable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__I5ReCvfUI

https://twitter.com/aprilaser/status/1073643817981505536

The silver living to all this is that since the goverment considers bot comments as valid as real human comments we have a precedent for AI rights

If it happens again we’ll just have to wage a battle of who can lay down the most fake grass.

1 Like

That was quicker than I expected. I thought we’d have to wait for the Orange Man to be out of office first.

1 Like

The senate won’t even take it up, so it’s not going to become law.

The Republican Party is on the wrong side of literally every issue, no matter how small or petty.

2 Likes

I feel like this “not even take it up” power is too strong and needs a nerf.

Even if they did take it up, it won’t pass.

I’m skeptical of nerfing Senate rules, mostly because Harry Reid’s attempts to nerf them ended up giving us Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court.

I mean, I’m nominally for abolishing the senate all together so I view just taking a bit of their power as a compromise.

Would you feel the same way if the House had a Republican majority too?

If there were no gerrymandering, and the house had a Republican majority, and elections weren’t rigged in any way, then at least that’s democratic and fair. I can’t complain about that in principle. I would just leave the country because clearly it is not a country of good people that I want to live with and be associated with.

The Senate is undemocratic, and they knew it when they made the constitution. It was a compromise to get the smaller states to join in. At the time there weren’t a lot of people, so the compromise was fair. They just didn’t have the mathematical foresight to understand just how large a compromise it was.

2 Likes

The argument against the Senate has more to do with voting power per voter than the actual powers of the Senate, iirc.

This is a valid point that I agree with at a certain level.

Another valid point I generally agree with.

Still, it’s the Senate rules that prevented at least some of the Orange Dotard’s bad behavior prior to 2018 because of the hump of getting over the filibuster. I’m wary of throwing the whole thing out until the other bullshit that you two mentioned is also resolved as I’m paranoid that throwing the whole thing out would make things worse.

If we address all the bullshit in one go, then yeah, go for it.

The grand compromise of the United States.

Well, we compromised to allow the continuance of slavery because we wanted them to join in. We could have just made a country without them from the start.