Net Neutrality

The compromise to continue large-scale racial chattel slavery in the United States as a condition of forming is probably the single fatal flaw that, if we are destroyed, will have so destroyed us.

If the choice was between that and staying with Britain, we should have stayed with Britain. Our revolution was a mistake.

Seems like a false dichotomy. We could have just made a country without the bad states? We could also have actually properly conquered them after the civil war. Many mistakes were made that can not be undone. We can only work with what weā€™ve got now.

Probably couldnā€™t have successfully revolted without the bad states.

That was the next great juncture. That was second chance we had to correct the fatal flaw of our nation. We chose not to.

The third chance was during the civil rights movement. We again chose to let it fester.

It would make for an interesting alternative history exercise if that did happen. Would the United States, or the separate countries that formed as a result of the failed compromise, have lasted? In what forms?

I think the whole ā€œcompromise for slaveryā€ thing is a bit fuzzy, as there were a number of slave states (Virginia, Georgia, and the Carolinas, for example) who wanted purely proportional representation vs. a number of free states (such as Delaware, New Jersey, and, gasp New York) who wanted equal representation.

Edit: and yes, I realize some of the states I called ā€œfreeā€ may have legally allowed slavery at the time, but they would be among the earlier states to abolish it.

The Revolution happened first. The compromising came later. We could have revolted in 1776 and then gone our separate ways with separate countries afterwards. Then we could have non-civil warred them later for being evil.

Or just let them rot from within until they collapsed. Either way, assuming that the good side managed to stay independent without help from the evil side, probably a net win.

A vote for Joe Biden was a vote against Ajit Pai.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I agree tbh, like Iā€™m glad it ended up being true but that was pretty far from a lock.

Pai was an Obama appointee, yeah? Not to mention I know my old house rep (democrat) voted for him, he tweeted about it.

The FCC has five commissioners. No matter who is president, the four lower commissioners are always split 2 Republican 2 Democrat. The fifth commissioner is the chairperson, and I donā€™t know of a single instance in which a president appointed a chairperson from the opposite party.

During Obamaā€™s presidency one of the two Republican seats opened up. Mitch picked Ajit to fill that seat, and Obama and the senate just rubber stamped it, as is customary.

Even Trump did not break this rule. Of course, he didnā€™t need to. You just need the chairperson to get the 3/5 and thatā€™s it. That being said, if one of the two democratic seats had opened, would Trump or Mitch have tried to break the rule? Iā€™m not sure how strong that rule is, if itā€™s a law or a just a custom. Iā€™m also not sure if thereā€™s any enforcement possible if they try to stack the FCC.

That being said, when Trump took office he moved Ajit from commissioner to chair, moving the 3/5 the other way. That would have happened under any Republican president. And so, no matter which democrat won, Ajit is out and someone else is going into that seat. If Trump won, that would have been four more years of Pai.

2 Likes

While youā€™re 100% right about how the FCC and its commissioners work, I wonder if Pai would have stayed on even if Trump got re-elected. I get the feeling he was getting ready to jump from government work back to the private sector and get a big payout.

Either way, Iā€™m glad heā€™s gone and hopefully the FCC can try to fix all the things theyā€™ve done in the past four years. The FCC really needs to be reorganized so it doesnā€™t swing back and forth every time thereā€™s a change in president between parties. It should really be more independent to focus on more long-term goals.

AJIT BYE

fifteen commissioners

More of this, please.

1 Like

Thatā€™s enough to do multiple simultaneous livestreams. XD

Iā€™m curious if theyā€™ll actually increase speeds, or if theyā€™ll just stop using the word ā€œbroadbandā€.