Monster Hunter Worlds

I got a copy of MHW on the steam sale. Couldn’t pass up 60% off plus I had 5 dollar steam coupon. Looking forward to slaying some gigantic beast for their toe nails lol.

Should have used a screamer pod.

Picked this back up since I got talking about Rise coming out soon, and man, this really is the best iteration of Monster Hunter.

I just got to Wildspire Wastes and the quest with the Barroth. I love that it felt huge and terrifying - when I first met Barroth in 3U I thought it was kind of little and quaint, but Worlds makes it feel like a monster. That was a great fight.

And then on an expedition, I met a Diablos and got wrecked.

The world really does feel dangerous in this generation of games.

Thinking about (finally) getting a Switch just to get Rise (and Breath of the Wild). We’ll see.

I should check this out more, isn’t it multiplayer?

It depends. You can play it single player and get most of the content, but a lot of the fun is in rushing down a monster with a team of friends.

It’s been a while since I played, but I beliiiiieeeve there’s matchmaking in this version.

Single or up to 4-player multiplayer. I think actually Worlds is technically always multiplayer, and you can just start missions solo. You can get most of the content yourself, but some things are exclusively multiplayer, IIRC. Usually they need to be because the multiplayer-exclusive missions are way too difficult to tackle solo even if you could try.

There’s definitely matchmaking. When you start a game, you can choose to start a new online session, and you can make your game public. Folks can literally just wander in and help out. To play solo, I just start an online session and set it so you need to know the session ID to join - basically a private game.

They automatically scale the monsters based on party size in this version. With two players, a monster has ~150% normal health, with 3 or more it’s around 250% health. If you start a quest solo and someone joins later, it bumps up the large monster HP immediately.

I would download a demo and try it out. Worlds is the best place to start if you’re new to the franchise because it’s the friendliest version yet. If you don’t like it, you won’t like any part of the series.

I already have the game due to a bundle ^_^… so no harm there!

Good luck, and my only advice is git gud.

Also I lied, I have second advice, which is that the gunlance is fucking amazing and why didn’t I fall in love with my stabbing shotgun sooner?

OK and third advice. If you play Worlds now, they’re going to give you access to the Defender/Guardian armor and weapons. I advise not using them because they will make the game much less fun by making it too easy; they released those to Worlds when Iceborne came out so players could finish up Worlds and get ready for the harder content of Iceborne. It will also not properly prepare you for the higher difficulty settings. The design intent is that you gradually make new equipment as you defeat new monsters.

Fuck Magnamalo.

That is all.

3 Likes

My thought is mostly the same, but Rathalos.

I’m still playing through Worlds (no Iceborne yet), so I’ma go with “fuck Bazelgeuse.” Seriously stop flying in and bombing my hunt, asshole.

I was playing with some friends and we failed the hunt twice because Magnamalo was friggen two-hitting me (Magnamalo is new to Rise, basically giant samurai wolf covered in flaming gas)

Yeah, I’ve seen video. Seems like a variant on Zinogre? Maybe with a bit of Nergigante?

I haven’t disliked any of the monsters in Rise thus far. The whole Rampage thing sucks. But monster selection and everything else has been really good thus far.

Rampage is much better multiplayer than single.

Agreed, Rampage multiplayer is way better than Rampage single player.

Finally got a Switch and have been tearing through Rise. I really dig how hard they went at the aesthetic this time around. The game seems a bit easier than World, though monsters also hit harder I think? It’s still fun as fuck. Also I am committing to Gunlance this time around because I just got Blast Dash and hooooooooooly shit do I love rocket jumping into a monster’s face.

Fuck Magnamalo indeed.

Palmutes add a lot of mobility in situations you didn’t have it before, such as drinking potions or sharpening your weapon, notching down the difficulty tremendously.

1 Like

Not so much that it’s easier but that the difficulty ramp is a lot less steep. I’m loving all of the new mobility options and now that I’m so used to the grappling book I don’t know how I’ll be able to go back.

I started the game with a mixture of Bow and Charge Blade but I’m starting to build a Sword and Shield set because it’s fun in its simplicity, almost fighting game like. I’m surprised how little I’ve used my bugstick, seeing as it was my main weapon since it’s introduction, I’m guessing it’s because I can be mobile with anything now.

1 Like