Miscellaneous Music Thread (Include a Description with your Embedded YouTube)

Auralnauts recently posted a cover song as part of a charity to help a friend battling long COVID. Here’s the description below, if you want to help:

Friend of the channel and frequent collaborator Silver Letomi has a friend battling long covid, and one of the ways she's been supporting her is by producing various cover songs as a gift. When Silver reached out to us to join her on one of those covers we couldn't resist, and what developed is a piece we wanted to share with you. If you enjoy the song and want to buy it, all proceeds from its sales are going to the charity Backline - made possible through Distrokid's artist for change program. Thanks for listening!

Level Up Song links: https://fanlink.to/AuralnautsLevelUp
Backline: https://bit.ly/3YrgOkw

New release from Breakmaster Cylinder!

This group has been in my ear lately.

This one is taking over right now.

1 Like

For those who do not know the Library of Congress has a special wing dedicated to audio recordings. Here is the announcement of what songs were added to it this year.

Kinda wild to me that WC Handy’s St Louis Blues wasn’t in there until now but the sheet music was already in LoC and tbf that was more influential than the recording. Also great to see Bobbie Gentry’s Ode To Billie Joe getting it’s dues.

This is also maybe the one time I don’t mind Stairway and Imagine being elevated because those are important songs in the history of music, even if they’re also divisive to put it mildly.

Stairway to Heaven is the worst most famous influential song ever. I literally stopped listening to the podcast Strong Songs after the episode about Stairway because it made no case for it being a strong song at all, and it felt like a sellout to discuss it in that context at all

1 Like

Yeah I revisited it this morning and it’s got 45 seconds of a good song at the very end when it speeds up. For a seven minute song that’s pretty bad. Everyone kinda sounds bored the whole time, especially Bonham, the main riff is too rudimentary to carry the song for as long as it tries to, the lyrics are at best too rooted in English folklore for their own good and at worst true gibberish. I know everyone loves that guitar solo but honestly it’s not even like top 10 guitar solos of 1971. I think every song on Sticky Fingers with a solo has a better one than Stairway. I could probably turn this into a whole rant about how overrated AOR as a concept is, how albums aren’t intrinsically better or more sophisticated than a single, and how an ambitious song done poorly is honestly just not as good as a simple song done well, but I have dishes to do so I probably shouldn’t spend too much time and energy on this.

Last thing – those 45 seconds of sped up guitar are the best rhythm exercise I’ve ever found. 10/10 for practicing.

Jon Lajoie is back after a long hiatus!
His album Wolfie’s Just Fine has been in development for years, and it’s finally releasing June 16. He released the music video for the first track on the album, and it’s a massive departure from the silly videos he made in the past.

VNV Nation’s new album is coming out later today, Ronan dropped another single for it yesterday with a pretty cool music video

EPILEPSY WARNING: There are a lot of strobe light effects.

1 Like

This was a fun discovery of someone who should be much more popular.

1 Like

If you took a music software program and designed the notes in the shapes of every U.S. state, how would they sound?

Seems like they took some artistic license in trying to make it sound good instead of just strictly drawing the shape of the state and accepting whatever awful sound came out.

New album drop from Breakmaster Cylinder!

Exactly what it says on the tin. Careless Whisper, 100 instruments.

I like the Surpeti - like an accordion but it’s in a box?

2 Likes

Wow, really talented! One of my fave songs and a joke in my family so was excited to share this video!

A crowd singing a song

My cycling soundtrack.

2 Likes

That’s a throwback! Nice.

Speaking of throwbacks, seeing that reminded me of this recent music video:

A good example of “I clicked for the video but stayed for the music”

Dang! I completely forgot about that game.

1 Like