"Metal" is the best thread title here

Lot of right wing people saw the Nazi invasion as an opportunity. Same thing happened in France.

Imagine if a full-on foreign fascist invasion happened today in America. Most Republicans would probably collaborate with them.

There’s a reason why after the Nazis were defeated and France overthrew the collaborator regime, a LOT of extra-judicial violence happened. Vichy collaborators were executed in the streets once they no longer had the protection of the Nazi military machine. They were angry right-wing extremists who had no political power under the previous French regime, and they saw Nazi collaboration as the only way to reclaim that power.

I guess this was the step Poland missed.

While I’m not qualified to speak to Polish history in any meaningful way, that’s sort of true. Poland fell under communist/Soviet rule after the war. Stalinism and the Soviet state oppression that followed fomented a sort of generic anti-left movement consisting both of anti-Soviet and pro-Fascism movements. Similar things happened in much of Eastern Europe.

Read a book or talk to an old person if you want to know more.

Anyway enough about Nazis, shake your asses.

https://youtu.be/j0YXfeNxJJ0

2 Likes

Just last night I was lamenting that I wish we had some Black Metal Ska bands. Cuz nothing says darkness and desolation like trumpets and checkerboarded trillby-hats.

I will absolutely settle for Reggaeton in the meantimes.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a lot of thrashy ska, apparently, but nothing bleak and despondent.

Ihsahn and Enslaved have both added some sax to their instruments, so maybe they’ll drift towards horns one of these days.

I guess there’s also Solefald and World Metal, but that’s more world music with black metal and not specifically ska.

I was saying it particularly because listening to that one Mighty Might Bosstones song that everyone knows, the impression that I get was that “these lyrics are dark af, we need a black metal version of this”

I saw Rammstein live on Saturday night and they remain for me the best live act out there. Both their performance and the showmanship were absolutely spectacular.

This is the only photo I took all night, because screwing with your phone during a gig makes you a terrible person.

A mate of mine took this one.

And I robbed this randomly off Facebook because it shows the speaker/flamethrower/confetti towers in the crowd.

You will not be shocked to learn that the venue looked like it was on fire.

This was my third time seeing them live and if you get the chance you should absolutely do it.

2 Likes

I’m always impressed that Rammstein stick with the “no video screen” rule, no matter how big the shows get. The live experience is then as you see it, not filtered through the eyes of camera operators and video mixers. How was it with a show this size?

3 Likes

To be fair it may also not be feasible to have big screens up with all the pyrotechnics going on on and off stage.

They bent it slightly as the Rammstein logo in the middle of the stage was a video screen, but even then it was used extremely sparingly. (Til had a camera for the shenanigans during Puppe, they popped up random audience members at a couple of points, and the words for Engel were up there during the piano karaoke version they did (sadly no metal flame throwing angel wings this time). 90% of the time it was just logo though.

From where I was stood (about 1/3rd of the way back) there wasn’t any real issue as I could see most things decently well. I suspect the people in the back half of the standing section probably fared less well. Looking at various photos from the night I think the people seated probably had a decent view of something wherever they were, as even those who had to squint to see the band got a better view of the light show/pyrotechnics etc. as a whole.

This was my first time seeing them in a stadium (the other two were in arenas a good bit smaller) and all in all I think it transferred well. On balance I think I prefer arenas as a venue for them, but it was a hell of an experience seeing them dominate a venue that large. Also you can’t have your stage protruding several meters out of the top of an arena like you can in a stadium. That thing was bonkers.

I have a love/hate relationship with the screens at concerts.

What is the point, really, of going to a live show as opposed to just watching a video recording of it? You feel the crowd around you, you get that powerful live audio, but you also look around with your own eyes and get your own unique experience and visual memories. When you have the big screens, anyone who isn’t very very close to the stage will naturally focus on them for most of the show. That eliminates a significant reason to even be at the show in person. It’s almost to the point where it’s better to just watch a recording of the show at home.

On the other hand, at a big arena show, anyone who doesn’t pay a fortune on VIP tickets, or fight to get to the front, can’t see details of jack and/or shit. Ok great, you can see some tiny people moving around on a stage and you can see all the pyro and lights show they’ve created, but you can’t see the actual people that you have paid to see. You can’t see their faces. You can’t see the drummer going wild. You can’t see the roadies and stagehands doing work. If a special guest comes on stage, you won’t know who it is.

In this situation people also may as well stay at home and watch a recording. It’s also not egalitarian, creating a much better experience for people who pay more money to be closer. Obviously concerts are never going to be equal for all attendees, but there are ways to mitigate it. Such as having the long catwalk and secondary stage towards the middle of the arena, so more people will have a chance to be close to the action at least during some portion of the show.

The ideal scenario for me is first of all, not have a big arena concert. Not a fan. I pretty much only go to small/mid sized venues these days. Even if someone I really like is in the big arena, I’ll probably take a pass unless it’s just too exciting to pass up.

If you’re going to have the big arena show, there are a few things you can still do to improve the screen situation. One is to have screens, but not always show the band on them. You can show other kinds of imagery related to the music. Only show live camera footage of the band members and their faces when it is appropriate to do so, like when they stop to talk or go wild on a solo.

Also, it is possible to hang the screens in different locations other than right next to the stage. This makes it so anyone who is close enough to the stage that screens are not necessary won’t have any screens in their line of sight. Only the people seated far away enough to need a screen will even have one to look at.

Finally, there are some accessibility reasons to have screens no matter what. I feel like sign language interpretation and/or closed captioning should be required. You could create a special section at the show for all the hearing impaired people to be together and see the interpreter, but a screen is good too. Obviously such a screen would have to be visible to the entire arena.

I saw Iron Maiden at the Jones Beach theater, up in the arena seats, well away from the stage.

It absolutely 100% would’ve been better to watch Youtube videos of Iron Maiden in our house.

Though, the road trip was fun and the company was good, so that’s a factor.

But this is why I prefer small shows. 200ish people is a perfectly fine crowd for me.

3 Likes

It is feasible. The “no screens” thing is a philosophical choice by the band that I’ve heard them talk about in a documentary once.

1 Like

I saw the same arena show by Muse twice, once in Lisbon and once in Berlin. Lisbon I was in the standing area near the front and in Berlin we had seats.

It turns out that having a huge long stage in the middle of the audience is great for getting loads and loads of people close to the act, but at a rock concert I noticed a distinct lack of focus in one spot for a proper mosh pit to develop. When there is a flat front to the stage, there’s only one option. At the front? Mosh! With a small thrust stage, it gets going both sides, but still at the front. With this three mini-stages linked by catwalks, there wasn’t a good focal point.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE6-bf3wasu/

In Berlin we had seats, and when I bought them I thought it would give us a good view down the long stage. But a lot of the show involved visuals projected onto translucent fabric. I’d already seen these from the side at the Lisbon gig, but due to our exactly central seats, we could see none of it in Berlin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGNRb__Qat5/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE65POWQahf/

The video screens were super high above the stage, so those up close wouldn’t be looking up there anyway. Nobody was super far away from any of the action at this show, so it worked out fine.

With the new Muse stadium tour, the whole theme is virtual reality and video games, so there’s a LOT of stuff going on with the HUGE screen behind the band, but they still do the mini-stage-in-the-middle-of-the-arena thing.

I’m really not a fan of arena scale venues. I find they are too large and the lack of intimacy really hurts my experience to be quite honest. This is the ideal show for me

The live music I most prefer live is symphonic music and the like. Piano concertos, symphony orchestra pieces, string quartets, etc…

I don’t care how large the venues are, as the sound is usually fantastic in any seat. I usually close my eyes for significant portions of the performances.

1 Like

Talking of “stadium on fire” I just remembered this story:

1 Like

Please, this is the “metal” thread. Take your symphonic music elsewhere.

1 Like

Don’t make me bust out talking the acoustics of the room when I went to see Les contes d’Hoffmann