MAGFest 2018

I’ve been driving to MAGFest for the past four years and the past two years have been pretty bad, especially on Saturday.

I initially tried to get parking through the MAGFest parking site they sent an email about, but it was sold out within two hours. However, they sent out a follow-up email saying that was a mistake and that there was parking still available. By that point though, it didn’t matter because I had already reserved non-MAGFest affiliated parking through Parking Panda right next to the Gaylord Hotel.

I prepaid for the whole weekend, but Parking Panda will reimburse you if you cancel your reservation. Last year, I decided not to go on Sunday, and got credit which I used this year.

As to the comment about the lot being full, the lot I parked in wouldn’t let you park there unless you had a reservation, so no hassle. Also, it was about a two minute walk to the Gaylord, so again no hassle.

With the ability to get your money back, I don’t see any downside to reserving a spot. From past experience, Saturday is the worst parking day BY FAR, so maybe you only need a reservation for that day, but in my opinion, better safe than sorry.

This is why I never drive to cons anymore.

It’s not just because I don’t have a car: I could easily buy one if I wanted one. I just wouldn’t use it for cons.

It’ll likely be a situation where I drive there on Wednesday per my Condo set up and just keep my car in there until I leave on Monday. Wednesday still has open spots in the Gaylord Parking Space so I don’t think it’ll be crazy then.

Think I’ll just buy reserve to be safe and if nothing comes from it I’ll give them hell for a refund.

Even with the cost of gas and parking the car is faster and cheaper than trains or bus for MAGFest specifically because you need to add on the two cab rides. Other cons, driving is usually a bad idea.

Agreed. I live 2 Hours from MAGFest so driving is far easier than even taking the Metro. Plus, I take so many things that having your own vehicle for storage is a big plus.

Or you get a hotel that comes with reserved spots…

1 Like

See this is what I’ve had a minor worry about. Last two years I parked with my hotel. However, last two years I’ve been prepared and gotten my room directly from the hotel.

I was prepared this year too until the room lottery opened and I joined and managed to get a room in the same hotel at a cheaper rate. But now that I’m getting a room the way everyone else is. Does it still come with the spot? It’s unclear. Worst case isn’t really that bad but still.

That link is legit, the area does that parking now, it is not all of its parking. Go to the garages, even if it is closer to McDonalds and you will be fine.

And the guidebook is now out!

Those of you who want to learn about dope professional wrestling from around the world should come to my panel Thursday night/Friday morning. We have something special planned for right after.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/98ce36ASF50

No Nidhogg tournament this year :frowning: Just the garbage niddhogg 2. I guess I can maybe stop by and try playing it for a minute. Try it out for the first time in a tournament setting.

Right now I have the same delimma, it’s either that or the Dev Jam tourney that’s at the same time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc-dXxhHynM/

3 Likes

For those who are either local or staying an extra day BONUS MAGFEST.

Its that time again, I will run down some events that you may be interested in going to on the panel front.

Thursday:

3:30 Panel 3 Game the Gamer is a simple concept, don’t lose 3 games and get $50. But you can spend the money to give yourself an advantage over the competition, some are simple things like giving a broken controller to a competitor, other times its being forced to use an eyepatch

3:30 Panel 2 Grow your own indie game community has some of the best people I know of in the Philly area taking real time about building a community and dealing with game jam drama

5:30 Panel 3 Gamers in Anime is the panel that unites us all and Viga is doing it!

9:00 Panels 1 D20 live is a canadian live RPG group that does cons up north, this might be their first American performance and the lineup looks like a solid time will be had

12:00 AM Panels 2 Full Motion Videoke is Karoke on Movie and Video game sequences, if that is your jam then it is a must see

12:30 AM Panels 4 Masks, Mayhem, and Fighting Spirit aka WK12 preshow

Friday

10:00 AM Panel 1 How do I get into ESports is being run from people who work on the college sports realm and will tell you how to get a paid job in eSports. This has been a panel we have been searching for years and finally have a group that has the credentials to do it.

1:30 PM Panels 2 From Single Player to MMO takes the ENTIRE audio team from Elder Scrolls to answer all your questions

4:30 PM Panels 2 XBLIG Preservation this guy is the real deal when it comes to Linux programming and talks about backing up the old XBOX arcade games to play in the future

6:00 PM Panels 2 Indie Game Real Talk 3 if you know who Ryan Morison is or VGAttorney then this is for you

2:00 AM Panels 2 CWF: MAGnitiude is a promo battle with the audience, expect tomfollery

Saturday

9:00 AM Panels 2 An Introduction to Legally Streaming with Music bring some top lawyers answering questions I always had with music and online entertainment

3:30 PM Panels 2 Wits and Wagers Live is a game of Wits and Wagers with North Star Games, like for real

9:30 PM Panels 2 One Man Star Wars is a guy recreating Empire Strikes Back using nothing but his memory

Sunday

10:00 AM Panels 3 Pixels to Plate is going to answer the question on how to do a food panel without cooking anything in the panel room

Once I have some additional time I will add some “other room events” later on but enjoy that for now.

2 Likes

https://m.facebook.com/pixiedruid/photos/gm.781251972067015/1705572959487218/?type=3&source=57&ref=m_notif&notif_t=admin_plan_mall_activity

1 Like

Danimal Cannon HYPE \m/

https://youtu.be/JFMVaREcJeI

Ok here is part two of the previous post of things you should do at MAG that are not in a panel room, but first a quick reminder. I am not bringing all my games to MAG this year, meaning I am packing lite. So if you want to play a specific game that I own look at the list here and let me know.

So there are music concerts, 3 escape rooms, an AFK room (yes like PAX but not 24/7), and battle pods, you should do those.

MAGLaughs is on the Soapbox Saturday at 8:30 this is my attempt to do a small stand up comedian showcase in a place that doesn’t really understand how to make it work. Stop by and laugh and if numbers are good, I may be able to enable phase 2.

Tabletop Discussions: aka the room I manage to take from the tabletop area so that I can approve all the panels that are tabletop related.

2:30 on Friday is Games and Grub 101 in which a popular board game cafe in the MD area comes to tell you how to make your own board gaming cafe. The entire staff comes here from management, teachers, baristas, and owners they tell you a non BS version of any question.

11:30 PM on Friday is Crossfire: The Game: The Commercial: The Movie: The Panel. If you ever wanted to recreate the commercial with a DJ mixing the crossfire theme and filmed on a green screen this is for you.

12:00 PM Saturday and 4:00 PM is Wargaming 101 and 201, @SkeleRym and @Apreche if there is a panel with the words “I should talk to these people” this is it. Legit Serious game designers for the Government tell you how to play and design serious game and what “winning” means.

7:30 PM Saturday How to teach a board game is from the Board game cafe people and I am going to make sure I suck much less at this skill

The last bit to point out is the Makerspace in which we have people to teach you to make things, both physical and digital as well as MAGES. Look at the schedule and go to the ones that interest you. No guests are there which means can say they are going to be decent. If you are on the fence on an event let me know and I will tell you if it is worth your time.

EMERGENCY I have a Saturday panel slot open, anyone want it?