It's Handegg Season

Seems like Vince McMahon is actively trying to bring back the XFL. He just liquidated $105 million in shares to the WWE and filed for several trademarks.

I just hope they do some things better than in their first attempt. For some context I’d also like to an episode of Chris Jericho’s podcast where he discussed the ESPN 30 for 30 episode on the XFL with its director and the episode on the XFL by wrestling youtuber Brian Zane.

Also check out the something to wrestle with episode too.

Saints/Vikings game is still on my mind. Gonna watch it again.

Last time there was an epic playoff game like that was 49ers at Seahawks for the 2013/2014 NFC Championships (that I’m watching now).

Anyone think of any other amazing playoff games?

Last Superb Owl.

Every time Rodgers saves the season and we blow it anyway :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Giants vs. Packers 2008. It was fucking cold.

And the Malcolm Butler super bowl. Almost every year, there’s crazy games.

Playoffs are bonkers.

1 Like

You can also put 2014/2015 Rain City Miracle aka NFC Championships on there as well.

I guess the Eagles are going to the Superb Owl against the team that everybody hates.

Also, nothing is funnier than my twitter feed all day being filled with reports from Philadelphia (which I basically only have due to following sports personalities related to the Flyers) of the city having put grease on all the lampposts last night. This was meant to stop people climibing them but seems to have just been a big old “challenge!” sign for drunk sports fans. Philadelphia, what a town.

1 Like

Damn it I was really looking forward to my area not caring about sportsball starting this week.

In order for the team to win the big game I will continue to reframe from watching any form a football.

1 Like

It’s a small consolation, but in the worst case scenario where you win, at least the city of Philadelphia will be burnt to the ground.

4 Likes

I am sad that the playoffs broke down in such a way that my “Which Team Do I Root For” flowchart has me rooting for the Eagles. I didn’t want this.

Underdog > Predictable Victor
Team that has never won a SB > Recent Winner

Despite (or maybe because of) living in New England my entire life, I am sick of the Patriots, and would likely root for any team over them, other than the Steelers.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/SydDavy/status/955443999002705920

It’s not too late to change the road you’re on.

1 Like

While I am not going to defend the actions specifically, this is a really bullshit argument extrapolating over fan bases on the respective best and worst behaviors. Also the guy is on a mighty high horse for someone pulling a joke about Bill Cosby raping women in the replies to that very post.

A twitter search for Eagles fans getting arrested or setting things on fire only reveals people anticipating property damage and that guy who punched a police horse before the game.

Regardless, the Eagles will always disappoint you in the end. This is a lesson I learned very early in my life. So if they do win the Super Bowl, which they won’t, Philly will absolutely lose its shit.

Go look what happened when the Phillies won the world series. Now multiply that by a lot.

1 Like

Also look at their history:

Although, I have to give the nut that jumped into a penalty box with Tie Freaking Domi credit for having guts.

At this point it is a self-repeating cycle. Hey a team from Philadelphia is in the news, gotta tell people how shitty their fans are! Sports fan did something kind of crappy? He’s from Philadelphia? There you go! He’s not? Aw, nevermind. Bury it with the other stories of americans being assholes.

It would probably be easy to build such a slide-show for any fanbase of a town with all four major league teams, and even more so if they also have an MLS team. However, nobody is going to publish it because it isn’t easy clickbait like playing into the established stereotype of “shitty Philly fans”.

Also, at least the last item on that clickbait article is complete bullshit. They write a fan “jumped” or “lunged” into the penalty Box. What actually happened was that the glass broke. Also how nice of Domi to throw punches at a guy without any protective gear on and his shirt over his head.

2 Likes

Yes, if you pick and choose incidents you might be able to make a reel for any team. There’s always some drunken idiot in the stands. There’s always some good people in the stands (not all Eagles fans). And yes, there are other places that are awful and even worse than Philly. Did you see what Vancouver did when they won the cup? And let’s not even talk about Soccer in Europe or elsewhere.

Yes, that kind of confirmation bias is a thing that exists, but in this case no. I’m not even trash talking here. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I personally hate Philly. It is a fact that Philly fans are worse than fans in other US cities. Fan culture in different cities and for different teams is actually different, and the Eagles and Phillies almost definitely have the worst behaved fanbases of all pro sports team in the US.

Let’s compare by looking at St. Louis. Fans in St. Louis are irritatingly nice. Ever go to a Cardinals game? They fucking cheer for their team when they lose. They could stink up the joint (though they rarely do) and the fans will politely clap anyway. Wearing the visiting team’s jersey? They’ll fucking murder you with politeness. When they win, they celebrate in a classy way. No fires, no violence, it’s all above board.

When Philly won the World Series they rioted.

What other city has done this? Not even the Cubs who won for the first time in forever. Nobody. Only Philly.

I’ve been to more games at Shea Stadium, Citi Field, Gillette Stadium, Fenway, and MSG than I can remember. Even going to the World Series, the visiting Royals fans caused no trouble. We sat next to some, and they were totally behaving properly. Kansas City.

The only time I have seen visiting fans behave poorly was the last game the Phillies every played at Shea stadium. The Philly fans had won the previous games in the series, and it was a double header. They brought actual brooms and waved them about while chanting “sweep sweep sweep”. This wasn’t just one group, it was a whole bunch. No other visiting team had exhibited this kind of behavior. Not when Boston came, not when The Yanks came on the subway, not anyone.

It’s just Philly The fans really are just worse.

Ask yourself. Would you feel safe wearing a Lakers jersey to the Boston Garden? Would you feel safe wearing a Yankees at at a Mets game? Probably.

How about a Giants jersey to Gillette stadium? I’ve done that. I’ve worn a Mets hat to Fenway during the All-Star game and regular season games. No problems.

Now, would you feel safe wearing an Eli Manning Jersey to Lincoln Financial? If so, I dare you to fucking do it. I’ve got one you can borrow. If not, why not?

This reputation didn’t come from nowhere. If you want to get rid of it, then start behaving nicely. You have a chance to prove yourself in a couple weeks. Let’s see what happens.

2 Likes