It's Handegg Season

Nice rant of hearsay and bullshit there, Scott. Yes, you are talking purely out of confirmation bias because you aren’t supporting it with any evidence. You are talking exclusively about your own experience and bollocks to that. Your link is also not really any objective measure because you are using the subjective words of a photographer because you couldn’t find an actual source describing the celebration with the loaded word “riot”.

I also find it cute that first talk about how yes, there are bad apples in other cities too and say “Did you see what Vancouver did when they won the cup?” (which btw never happened because the Canucks have never won the Cup) and then turn around to throw in “What other city has done this? Not even the Cubs who won for the first time in forever. Nobody. Only Philly.”

Yes, reputation doesn’t come from nowhere, but it also can’t fucking die when assholes like you just won’t shut up about it even though it is just a stereotype and not in any way worse than with other fanbases. But hey, it’s easy clickbait and rubes like you will repeat stereotypes if they conform to a bad opinion that they already have, and that repetition is the seed to plant that same opinion in other people.

Oh hey, the Washington post released an article in October 2016 about increasing arrests at NFL games. Top five offending teams? Chargers, Giants, Jets, Raiders, and Steelers. Weird how this seems to be happening everywhere. The article is also filled with examples of some of the most brutal fan attacks. Not one of which is from Philadelphia, and I also don’t have an example of something in that order from Philadelphia I could compare it with, at best I have a Flyers fan who beat up a Rangers fan at Geno’s steakhouse, and that I only know of because a Flyers fan site was asking for people to help the police identify the guy. However, a quick search gave me a Penguins fan murdering his wife, a Carolina Panthers fan beating up a 62-year old man, a Devils fan stabbing a Flyers fan to death etc. Weird how those don’t make national news.

1 Like

Don’t forget the bloods and crips at dodgers v angels games too.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/955297806566199296/video/1

Who else has this kind of shit going on? Patriots don’t. Streets of Boston on Sunday? Perfectly safe. Streets of Philly? Not so much. Hide indoors.

Few arrests doesn’t mean the bad behavior isn’t there. It just means Philly cops let people get away with it. As we can see there is a great amount of video evidence that shit was going down. Just because not too many people went to jail doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

Why don’t we go around and do a study to objectively measure which teams are the worst by counting quantity and severity of bad incidents throughout history? You want to bet Philly won’t be the worst? How confident are you?

FACT: The old Eagles stadium is the only one to ever have a courtroom and jail built into it. That’s not a joke. It was for real.

2 Likes

Yes, why don’t you? That’s what I’ve been asking you to do! Instead of just throwing horseshit around and offering nothing but half-baked hearsay. But hey, at least you already managed to poison the well by declaring that if Philadelphia isn’t actually objectively the worst, it must be because the Cops in Philadelphia let things go.

Also, nice job ignoring other factors such as the fact that the Jaguars-Patriots game was a day game while the Eagles-Vikings game was at night, that Gillette Stadium is 45 km from Boston while Lincoln Financial Field is smack in South Philadelphia on Broad Street, or the fact that Patriots fans are kind of spoiled with 8 Super Bowl berths since 2002 and thus excitement levels would be much lower.

My first experience trying to eat dinner in downtown Philly gave me a strong opinion about the character of the city.

Gonna be hard to find one this bad from another city.

Fun fact Philly was on my short list of cities to go to to school. I got into Drexel. I ended up going to Rochester but I could have… I remember when I went to check out the school I remember being really underwhelmed by the cheesesteaks in philly. I told myself that didn’t weigh in on my decision but who knows, it may have.

1 Like

I considered going to school in Detroit.

There’s a reason Philly was chosen for Always Sunny I think.

Gonna be hard to find one this bad from another city.

Yeah, that’s going to be oh so hard (and those are the ones that came to mind off the top of my head).

Yeah, this is not a good look, but it was also a very emotional time with the passing Ed Snider who is revered as a demigod in the city and by the fans of the Flyers in particular. But if this is the worst you can offer when in the course of this discussion we have talked about murdering each other over games, I’d take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over stuff like a fan being crippled in LA in 2011 or being stabbed to death in San Francisco in 2013.

(Not even going into what it means to cite a fansite of a rival team, whose evidence for “beers were thrown” is a tweet)

Seriously though, are you going to address Cremlian’s link which directly contradicts your earlier statement of “What other city has done this? Not even the Cubs who won for the first time in forever. Nobody. Only Philly.” ?

These are just incidents that were notable enough to get on Wikipedia and happened during actual games.

Most cities show up zero times on this list. ZERO.
Incidents listed where New York fans were to blame - 3
Incidents listed where Philadelphia fans were to blame - 5

Considering the population difference between the cities, this isn’t a good start to this quantification. You can also check yourself, I haven’t edited that wikipedia page, at least not yet. I noticed the time Mets fans threw batteries at John Rocker isn’t listed, but that’s because that was a case of perfectly acceptable violence that no good person would condemn.

Hahaha, literally the first one on the list is Sydney. Good work, Sydney.

I think I can some up the argument in a humanist approach.

Fuck all forms of tribalism, it’s make people fight amonst themselves on petedentic bull shit instead of realizing they should be working together.

One of the points of large spectators sports is to role play tribalism in a safe environment without having actual wars. This is why actual violence in the game and actual violence in the stands are a huge fucking problem. No actual war during the pretend war!

1 Like

On this wikipedia article, I count four incidents where you could lay blame on Philadelphia fans.

• August 21, 1949
  • Januar 6, 1972
  • December 10, 1989
  • March 29, 2001

There are three other incidents where Philadelphia was mentioned, May 15 1912, September 16 2002 and August 12, 2009. In all of them Philadelphia is the visiting team. Not sure where you got your number of five incidents.

In New York’s colum we have

• December 23, 1979
  • February 12, 1986
  • December 23, 1995
  • July 11, 1996

So you are either lying both ways or you are too stupid to count.

Also, Wikipedia is hardly the definitive source, the article doesn’t count sports violence before or after games, etc., etc. etc.

So far in this thread you have presented no hard evidence, contradicted yourself, have been contradicted by other sources (which you still haven’t addressed), and have failed to support your thesis of “Philadelphia fans are worse than other fans” from either severity or frequency of incidents. You are truly doing one heck of a job.

This was boxing. It wasn’t fans of a New York team although it is an incident that occurred at MSG.

I counted 5 because I blame PA for the other 1972 incident. Although in Vancouver, your players went into the stands, which is inexcusable even though the Vancouver fans there were also bad.

1. So what if its boxing. It was still a New York crowd.
  2. We are discussing which fans are the worst. What a player does is immaterial, and the whole incident was still started by a fan in Vancouver. (I do admit though that I missed it in my tally of items that mention Philadelphia but Philadelphia fans aren’t at fault.)

You are clearly padding your argument with bullshit. Can you now please fuck off already.

I skimmed the entire list for Australian cities, and here’s the tallies:

Brisbane, Burnie Tasmania, Cairns - one each. The Brisbane incident involved a single fan.

Perth - Two incidents, curiously both at the cricket.

Sydney - Six incidents.

Melbourne - Seventeen incidents. And almost all of them involving AFL.

1 Like