Fruit

I grew up on a small farm, and when I was younger we had amazing wild blackberry vines that grew on the fence line in the back of the property. Ever summer around this time me and my mom would each fill a five gallon bucket with berries the size the the last segment of your thumb. Then one year the cows found them and ate all the vines, no more blackberries… I don’t how much of it is nostalgia and how much is that I became accustomed to the freshest possible berries, but it’s been over a decade and I still haven’t had a blackberry half as good as those I remember.

Since the “fruit” is part of the flower it doesn’t need to be pollinated to do it’s thing. In some places there’s enough of a density of trees that the wasps might randomly show up, but I don’t live anywhere near a tree farm so that would be a rare event. Plus there’s a pretty good chance that it’s a female tree, so a stray wasp wouldn’t turn into more.

The ones off my tree are really good. Not overly sweet, thin skinned and small enough that you can pop the whole thing in your mouth. I just get way too many.

“other suggestions”

Send them to me and I will rid you of your fig problem.

Also, yes, get a dehydrator.

I thought if there was some part of a wasp in the fruit they’re microscopic and not noticeable.

https://askabiologist.asu.edu/figs-without-wasps

Some types of fig that are grown for human consumption have figs that ripen without pollination. It is also possible to trick plants into ripening figs without wasps by spraying them with plant hormones.

There is a debate among vegans whether or not figs that contain fig wasps are vegan.

As veganistic debates go, that is a damn reasonable one. I can really see both sides.

Is there really much of an ethical dilemma if the wasp ends up there naturally? Although I guess that only strictly applies to wild figs, with no human intervention at all.

That is the crux of the argument. Some vegans contend that since the wasps are performing a natural function that is not being altered or forced upon them by human intervention, then it is okay to eat figs that contain wasps. Other vegans contend that eating any animal or insect parts or byproducts is inherently not vegan (like consuming honey, even if collected from a naturally occurring hive).

I am a vegetarian who eats vegan about 80% of the time, so I subscribe to a few vegan recipe and info exchange groups. There is a lot of woo and usually a bunch of pointless bickering/more-vegan-than-though-ing, but this debate is interesting, and I consider both stances valid.

That makes sense. There are definitely times where I’ve removed meat from a dish and it ended up getting thrown out, where eating it wouldn’t have been any worse from an animal cruelty/sustainability/whatever perspective.

I guess those vegans who have a problem with it are not aware that there are bug parts in pretty much everything?

As a vegan, I learned that a bit ago. I’m unsure if that’s common knowledge among vegans though. There’s a standard for how many bugs can be in almost everything, like rice or spices.

Respect to the dried fruit. Dried Cranberry is great for salads, cookies, snacking, and even cole slaw. Forget raisins, step your game up with dried blueberries and cranberries.

It seems to me that with the figs if the bug is already dead by a natural process it’s really not animal cruelty or exploitation.

I only eat things that fall from trees naturally. Like apples. And dead squirrels.

[quote=“lukeburrage, post:134, topic:815, full:true”]
I only eat things that fall from trees naturally. Like apples. And dead squirrels.
[/quote]Sometimes you hit the jackpot

Some fresh fig with my scallops (fingerling potatos, peas, pork belly, and some tangy green sauce)

I realize that you’re not a vegan spokesperson, and don’t even hold this point of view, but my curiosity doesn’t know how to be satisfied by google so I’m going to ask here.

Isn’t like pollination a byproduct of many insect/birds/other creatures. So, by extension, isn’t things like apples or most other crops a byproduct of their activity?

How do they justify eating anything?

There are quite a few things pollinated by wind. But that doesn’t really preclude your questions, just narrows it from “anything” down to “most things.”

The wasps actually die inside the fig and remain inside it being slowly broken down as the fig develops and ripens. Thus, unlike other fruits, it isn’t just that the fruit was pollinated by animal/insects, the fig is guaranteed to contain an entire insect.

This discussion on vegan classification on foods reminds me of a story told on This American Life about Orthodox Jewish food classifications. It inevitable gets so rules lawyering that only the nerdiest care about it. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/281/my-big-break?act=3